Prayer for the baptism of aborted babies
Has anyone heard of this? It goes along with my post in the Luminous mystery topic but to me this seems off. It seems like some modernist invention that goes along with medagoojoo...

PRAYER FOR THE BAPTISM OF ABORTED BABIES

(29 July 1998)

Heavenly Father, Your love is eternal.  In Your ocean of love You saved the world through Your only-begotten Son, Jesus Christ.  Now look at Your Son on the Cross who is constantly bleeding for love of His people and forgive Your world.  Purify and baptize aborted children with the Precious Blood and Water from the Sacred Side of Your Son, Jesus Christ, who hung dead on the Cross for their salvation in the name of the Father, and of the son and of the Holy Spirit.  May they, through the Holy Death of Jesus Christ, gain everlasting life, through His wounds be healed and through His Precious Blood be freed; there to rejoice with the Saints in Heaven.  Amen.

"...Through this prayer large numbers of innocent unborn babies will be saved, pray it daily and make it known to the world.  Baptize them with this prayer..."

Imprimatur:  Bishop Ayo-Maria Atoyebi, O.P.  Diocese of Ilorin, Nigeria

what's wrong with it?

do a search for the recent thread on healing the family tree.  the baptizing of miscarried babies was discussed in that thread.  some people toss holy water into the air in an attempt to baptize babies that were miscarried.  it doesn't hurt anybody but it doesn't work, either.

we lost an unborn baby so i know firsthand the pain parents feel and the need for some type of ritual but you can't baptize the dead.  that's a mormon thing.  you can give the lost child a name and pray for him or her and it seems to me that the Church should have some sort of blessing for parents who've been through this, sort of like the churching of women after childbirth but involving the father, too. 

i don't even know what the Church says today about babies who die in the womb.  do they go to Heaven?  does original sin begin with birth or in the womb?  the Pope talked about limbo not existing a couple of years ago and people got upset that aborted babies would go to Heaven.  i don't know why they shouldn't, they certainly didn't choose to be murdered. 

i would like to know, where is my child?  limbo is OK by me, Heaven is better, but i want to know our baby didn't go to hell for dying before he was born and could be baptized.  that makes no sense and i don't believe God is cruel.  he'd be 31 now if he'd lived, though St. Augustine says everyone is 37 in Heaven, so i'm hoping Nicholas Elias is 37. 

Others have pointed out that this prayer goes against the teachings of the Church since in order for baptisms to be valid the person has to be living. But then again, can any prayer be without merit? It is said that in cases of praying for the salvation of someone after they die that a prayer is not wasted as God is not constrained by time as we are here, so it may be possible that this prayer could have some merit.

(04-23-2010, 01:25 AM)Petertherock Wrote: Others have pointed out that this prayer goes against the teachings of the Church since in order for baptisms to be valid the person has to be living. But then again, can any prayer be without merit? It is said that in cases of praying for the salvation of someone after they die that a prayer is not wasted as God is not constrained by time as we are here, so it may be possible that this prayer could have some merit.

look for that thread on healing the family tree and read what was in it.  i don't remember all that was said and need to go to bed now.  good night!

(04-23-2010, 12:45 AM)Melkite Wrote: what's wrong with it?

The can of worms it opens?  If you can get an aborted baby saved through baptism before it is born, it renders anti-abortion useless as the main reason to protest against it is the fact that the baby spends eternity in limbo and never gets to see the sight of God.  That is more important than the murder sin of the mother and doctor.

Secondly, if God would ad hoc baptize babies that are going to be aborted, why can't he just do it to the whole human race?  It makes baptism seem like an unnecessary innovation.

Original sin infects the soul from the moment of conception - all babies who die before baptism go to limbo - the upper level of hell.  They have no hope of salvation.
sounds like some modernist concept cooked out of i-don't-know-what. they will go to limbo, and they are actually quite happy there (they are ignorant of the joys of heaven) and are equipped with a natural knowledge of God.

I have read somewhere that they do thank God that they are not in hell.
(04-23-2010, 02:39 AM)JamieF Wrote:
(04-23-2010, 12:45 AM)Melkite Wrote: what's wrong with it?

The can of worms it opens?  If you can get an aborted baby saved through baptism before it is born, it renders anti-abortion useless as the main reason to protest against it is the fact that the baby spends eternity in limbo and never gets to see the sight of God.  That is more important than the murder sin of the mother and doctor.

Baptism before birth is actually possible and was apparently a fairly common practice around the turn of the century, or at least common enough for a dubium to be sent to the Holy Office on the matter and receive a response.

he Matter of Baptism

[From a Decree of the Holy Office, August 21, 1901]

The Archbishop of Utrecht relates:

1977 "Many medical doctors in hospitals and elsewhere in cases of necessity are accustomed to baptize infants in their mother's wombs with water mixed with hydrargyrus bichloratus corrosives (in French: chloride de mercure). This water is compounded approximately of a solution of one part of this chloretus hydrargicus in a thousand parts of water, and with this solution of water the potion is poisonous. Now the reason why they use this mixture is that the womb of the mother may not be infected with disease."

Therefore the questions:

I. Is a baptism administered with such water certainly or dubiously valid ?

II. Is it permitted to avoid all danger of disease to administer the sacrament of baptism with such water?

III. Is it permitted also to use this water when pure water can be applied without any danger of disease?

The answers are (with the approbation of Leo Xlll):

To I. This will be answered in. II

To II. It is permitted when real danger of disease is present.

To III. No.

It is important to note, however, that conditional baptism should be done after birth according to a decree of Benedict XIV
JamieF Wrote:If you can get an aborted baby saved through baptism before it is born, it renders anti-abortion useless as the main reason to protest against it is the fact that the baby spends eternity in limbo and never gets to see the sight of God.  That is more important than the murder sin of the mother and doctor.

Having been to the March for Life and involved in the greater Prolife movement for a few years now, even in traditionalist circles the issue of murder has always far outweighed any spiritual thoughts. In fact, speaking personally, I don't think I have ever heard a Prolife Catholic talk about the issue of Baptism. As such, I simply don't see it as being a on-the-groud motivation that Prolifers are doing what they are doing. Just sayin'.

Quote:Original sin infects the soul from the moment of conception - all babies who die before baptism go to limbo - the upper level of hell.  They have no hope of salvation.

Please distinguish theological opinion from doctrine. Limbo is an optional belief, like apparitions.
I don't know about this particular prayer, but it seems monstrous that we would be encouraged to pray for all the dead except murdered unborn babies. I pray for them when I remember to; I don't ask for their baptism, I just ask that God will save them if there is some way for them to be saved and leave it at that. I have my own opinion on this matter, but that's all any of us have -- opinions, although perhaps some have more value than others.

Please tread lightly around this subject, guys, since it is an excrutiatingly painful one for a lot of mothers and fathers.