Recommended Prayerbook for Military Personnel
A family member has enlisted in the U.S. Army and I wanted to give him, as a gift, a military book of devotions.  I would purchase for him Fulton Sheen's Wartime Prayer Book, but he is Evangelical and not Catholic (which means most of Sheen's prayers would be foreign to him and would go unread and unused, quite the opposite intent of the object of this exercise). 

Is there anything I can find him that is more "ecumenical" but does not compromise the Catholic Faith?  There is an excellent book called The Soldier's Bible: with Special Prayer and Devotional Section for Army Personnel which contains prayers and writings by George Washington, General Patton, Jimmy Stewart, etc., but is presumably a Protestant Bible translation.  Can I, in good conscience, give him this?  Or is there a better alternative? 
(04-22-2010, 11:45 PM)Miquelot Wrote: A family member has enlisted in the U.S. Army and I wanted to give him, as a gift, a military book of devotions.  I would purchase for him Fulton Sheen's Wartime Prayer Book, but he is Evangelical and not Catholic (which means most of Sheen's prayers would be foreign to him and would go unread and unused, quite the opposite intent of the object of this exercise). 

Is there anything I can find him that is more "ecumenical" but does not compromise the Catholic Faith?  There is an excellent book called The Soldier's Bible: with Special Prayer and Devotional Section for Army Personnel which contains prayers and writings by George Washington, General Patton, Jimmy Stewart, etc., but is presumably a Protestant Bible translation.  Can I, in good conscience, give him this?  Or is there a better alternative? 

Why would you want something more ecumenical? Buy him the Sheen book or another that reflects truth.
(04-23-2010, 07:46 AM)matthew_talbot Wrote:
(04-22-2010, 11:45 PM)Miquelot Wrote: A family member has enlisted in the U.S. Army and I wanted to give him, as a gift, a military book of devotions.  I would purchase for him Fulton Sheen's Wartime Prayer Book, but he is Evangelical and not Catholic (which means most of Sheen's prayers would be foreign to him and would go unread and unused, quite the opposite intent of the object of this exercise). 

Why would you want something more ecumenical? Buy him the Sheen book or another that reflects truth.

Not ecumenical as in Protestant, but something that contains prayers all Christians can agree upon.  Otherwise he simply won't bother with it.  Now that I think of it, maybe a Psalter would do it. 
yeah that would do. but some loonies will argue with him over the difference in the numbering system
lol
(04-23-2010, 09:34 AM)devotedknuckles Wrote: yeah that would do. but some loonies will argue with him over the difference in the numbering system
lol

You know, you could be right.  I have an excellent psalter, My Daily Psalm Book, which appears to follow the Douay-Rheims numbering system. 

Because my father is a former Marine, I own a copy of John J. Burke's Catholic Prayer Book for the Marine Corps, but like Sheen's, the bulk of its material (the order of Mass, prayers after Communion, the Rosary, confession, prayers for the dead, indulgenced prayers, etc.) would simply not apply to my nephew, even though it should.  I just liked the fact that The Soldier's Bible contained so many prayers, anecdotes, etc. directly from American history.