Raising meat rabbits...
Just put on the roof rafters tonight.  Was up until 4:30am working on it.  Everything led up to this point, and it was real important they were level and all that.  I'm hoping it all works out when I try fitting the planks on. 

[Image: roofframeonrabbithutch3.jpg]

And I had a few minutes to make a scarecrow.  Too bad I have no tomatoes to protect.

[Image: roofframeonrabbithutch2.jpg]
I swear, this project has taken me all year.  But I've finally gotten the roof on, and the shingles are up. 

Unfortunately, I am having a real problem with photobucket right now, so the only way I could get  a picture up on the internet is through my blog. 

So, my friends, I implore you to bask in the glory of my new rabbit hutch roof over on the blog site!  http://thehirschfiles.blogspot.com/2011/...bbits.html

I was working on that dang thing for two or more weeks.  I'm so glad the roof portion of this project is over now.  At this point, I just have to design the individual rabbit cells. 

UPDATE:

I got photobucket working  for me now.  Here's the latest pics:

[Image: finishingtherabbithutch38.jpg]

[Image: finishingtherabbithutch25.jpg]

[Image: finishingtherabbithutch.jpg]

(09-22-2011, 01:23 AM)LaramieHirsch Wrote: I swear, this project has taken me all year.  But I've finally gotten the roof on, and the shingles are up. 

Unfortunately, I am having a real problem with photobucket right now, so the only way I could get  a picture up on the internet is through my blog. 

So, my friends, I implore you to bask in the glory of my new rabbit hutch roof over on the blog site!  http://thehirschfiles.blogspot.com/2011/...bbits.html

I was working on that dang thing for two or more weeks.  I'm so glad the roof portion of this project is over now.  At this point, I just have to design the individual rabbit cells. 

UPDATE:

I got photobucket working  for me now.  Here's the latest pics:

[Image: finishingtherabbithutch38.jpg]

[Image: finishingtherabbithutch25.jpg]

[Image: finishingtherabbithutch.jpg]
Congratulations on your project! It's great.
I am finally finally done with the rabbit hutch.  It was an insane design.  Yet, it will function very very well.  The rabbits will have lots of space, so that's nice.  Don't wanna be cruel to them before I break their necks.

Finally done.  What a monster, that project was. 

I think I primarily blame the drought we've been going through for the last few years.  Damned impossible to accomplish anything outside at all during the summer months. 

I'm done. 

Pictures will come, but only when I get rabbits. 
Meat chickens work better.  But either way.  I'll fly to where ever you are when it's kill time.  I'll kill some wabbits.  so long as I know they are put to good use.
(02-05-2013, 03:39 AM)miss_fluffy Wrote: Meat chickens work better.  But either way.  I'll fly to where ever you are when it's kill time.  I'll kill some wabbits.  so long as I know they are put to good use.

Years ago, I used to drive past a house that had a sign in front advertising, "Easter Bunnies--Live or Dressed". 
What kind of rabbit is for meat?
I was looking at a holland lop for a pet today- so cute!
My husband knows this guy who grew up in Oaklahoma- poor, raised rabbits. I guess they multiplied too fast and told his son to kill the many rabbits- they stored the meat. I guess the technique he was taught to use was to club them. He said it sucked because they were so cute, and ge was a tound boy. But that was life back then.

I think I could eat a rabbit meat if I were disconnected from it. Like a chicken or pig or cow. I tend to think farm animals are my pets not my food. It would be so hard to raise a cow, milk it help it have babies and have to eventually kill it for meat.

I always thought it would be to have a goat and sheep farm for milk soaps and wool and (eventually goat meat.....) I've never had goat meat. I have had lamb- although not cooked right- too dry.
Dang it! 

Okay, I have the rabbits today.  Finally.

One male, who is a black New Zealand breed, and two white female breeds that are a New Zealand/Texas A&M breed that was bred for ultimate meat production. 

The problem?  My crazy cage design makes it impossible to water them.  There's no way I can get the water spigot to their mouths.  This totally sucks. 

My plan?  Plan A is to hurry up, return the 3 remaining bottles I have to Atwoods, and exchange them for metal bowls that'll clip to the side.  They can drink out of bowls just fine.  I don't care. 

Plan B: if Plan A doesn't work, then I have to get all technical and get a damned watering system.  Apparently, this thing called the Edstrom watering system is the best way to go.  But I might be able to rig something myself.  If I go this route, I'll have to fork over about $50 to make it happen. 

I can't wait to get things more established than this.  It's rainy, cold, and dampish outside.  Good for the rabbits, I've made an enormous roof to cover their little base out there.

Bah! 
(04-24-2010, 11:54 PM)LaramieHirsch Wrote: I am having difficulty with imagining myself getting nerve to kill a bunny. 

Their screams will haunt you forever.