Was my confession valid?
Well,Today I went to a English Mass,just to allow my head alittle rest from the German.The mass was nice,I didn't have a problem with it.It was a good mass.My sunday obligation LOL J/K. Well,the sermon alittle tickled me the wrong way when he said that "Muslims,hindus and even those who don't believe will stand before God's glorious throne,it isn't some inclusive club for only Christians" when refering to the "Great Multitude".It seemed weird and I didn't much care for his homily on that section,still the rest was really good.

I asked him before hand for a confession and I confessed.but it was more like telling a father for advice and forgiveness then the traditional Judge.It was a good confession,but don't expect me to give you a Transcript LOL (Confession is hush hush)

Well,I didn't recieve a Penance,seemed weird,arent we always suppose to recieve a penance?
He performed the proper absolvation(Sp?) but no penance was assigned

Was it valid?Is there a pre-determined way to do confession? Or am I just being to technical?
The priest gave you absolution.  It is not mandatory that he give you a penance.
St.Ambrose Wrote:Was it valid?Is there a pre-determined way to do confession? Or am I just being to technical?

You're being technical. Do a penance if you wish, but they're not necessary for the Sacrament to work.

There is nothing novel about getting advice in the confessional.
If you're worried, say the Prayer before a Crucifix with the customary prayers for the Holy Father. That has a ten-year indulgence.
(04-25-2010, 08:09 PM)charlesh Wrote: If you're worried, say the Prayer before a Crucifix with the customary prayers for the Holy Father. That has a ten-year indulgence.

That doesn't really make sense. Indulgences can only be gained by those in a state of grace, ie, the confession would have had to have been valid for that to mean anything.
So it is valid as long as a priest gives absolution?Ok.thanks Sticking tongue out at you
(04-25-2010, 09:10 PM)St.Ambrose Wrote: So it is valid as long as a priest gives absolution?Ok.thanks Sticking tongue out at you

Yes, as long as he says "I absolve you of your sins in the name of the Father, and The Son and The Holy Ghost or Spirit", I usually say the Act of Contrition too, but sometimes the priest doesn't require that... I think its necessary or I don't think that validates it...Correct?
The catachism outlines the conditions for validity, check that out rather than rely on feedback from strangers on a website, regardless of good intentions.
You probably can find a copy online if you google it.
(04-25-2010, 11:59 PM)winoblue1 Wrote: The catachism outlines the conditions for validity, check that out rather than rely on feedback from strangers on a website, regardless of good intentions.
You probably can find a copy online if you google it.

The CCC?
(04-26-2010, 12:34 AM)St.Ambrose Wrote: The CCC?

I assume winoblue was referring to the Baltimore Catechism, which was the most widely used catechism in the United States before Vatican II.

There's also the Catechism of the Council of Trent. I linked to its section on the Sacrament of Penance here.

Also, the Catechism of Pius X's section on Penance.