Pope asks Bloggers to Give Internet a Soul
A notable characteristic of online discussion is its lack of civility.  Something that I try to do is remember that I am interacting with real people.  They have souls.  They have feelings.  I have the same moral obligations that I do in real life.  Detraction and calumny are still sins when they are done online.  Being on the Internet does not release me from my duty to speak the truth in charity.

My goal is to always write with courtesy and kindness.  I do not always succeed, but I do not excuse my failures with "it's only the Internet."  Today at Confession, I confessed something that I had written in online discussion.  Because online sins affect our souls and need the mercy of God too.
Isn't it apparent it starts at the lowest level, us !!! It is analogous to Rudy Giuliani's fight to reduce violent crimes in NYC; if you want to reduce violent crime, get rid of the squeegee men. or in high blown terms subsidiarity. First we have to not let "crap" get by us. If we call out those in the schmear business on both sides the fact will emerge, and thoughtful and charitable criticism will prevail. We need to hold our tempers in check, so we do not descend into the muck and mire where these folks operate. that's all,
tim
The spiritual acts of mercy can all be practiced online:

* Converting the sinner
    * Instructing the ignorant
    * Counseling the doubtful
    * Comforting the sorrowful
    * Bearing wrongs patiently
    * Forgiving injuries done to us
    * Praying for the living and the dead
If Saint Maximilian Kolbe was alive today he would have asked for something similar. He believed in using all types of media for evangelizing and spreading the love of God and the Immaculata, and of course he would also reiterate that even using the Internet for apostolic means would be useless without God's grace backing it.
Paraphrase: 'just lets everybody try and be a little more nice to each other.'  Smile Doesn't cost anything. Sounds like me talking to my kids.
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
There is a difference between nice and false charity and bieng full of bs.
Just sayin
(04-26-2010, 04:02 PM)devotedknuckles Wrote: There is a difference between nice and false charity and bieng full of bs.
Just sayin

I was just trying to be a little funny.  Shrug Not hilariously funny, I know but I try.
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
Dont forget, about, one of my more recent saint discoveries as of last year with enderment for our family, that is He was from the Abruzzo region of Italy and so was my Great Grandfather, and he was a dynamo of speaking and of teaching to peoples, even when he was on his death bed, I am talking about Saint Bernadine of Sianna, even he was kind but when someone got fresh with him he would slap them as he did in one such case.  So be ever vigilent for times to teach, be charitable, and stand up for truth even when we are near death just like he did.

signed Jeremy L
(04-26-2010, 02:41 PM)Jacafamala Wrote: Paraphrase: 'just lets everybody try and be a little more nice to each other.'  Smile Doesn't cost anything. Sounds like me talking to my kids.

OK, I see the smiley, but I want to say that it is about truth at least as much as niceness.  Lack of critical thinking skills is just as notable online as the lack of civility.  Often they happen at the same time.  When a person uses insults and ad hominem arguments to express disagreement, it is a failure both of logic and of charity. 

Like DK said, if we leave out the truth then it is false charity.  Real charity must be accompanied by truth.