Chronic Post Nasal Drip
(04-26-2010, 07:44 PM)Satori Wrote: A Neti pot never hurt anyone, allergies or no. Give 'er a whirl.

What's a "neti pot"?

Watch, it will be a meth pipe and you don't realize it...  :P

But, really, what is it?
(04-26-2010, 08:27 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote:
(04-26-2010, 07:44 PM)Satori Wrote: A Neti pot never hurt anyone, allergies or no. Give 'er a whirl.

What's a "neti pot"?

Watch, it will be a meth pipe and you don't realize it...   :P

But, really, what is it?

It's a little teapot-looking thing.  You put warm water and non-iodized salt in it, and then you pour it down one nostril, tilting your head so it flows out the other.  Then you reverse nostrils. 

It sounds harrowing. but it's actually quite pleasant.  It does clear out your nostrils. 

Oh, thanks!

I don't suppose drinking milk and watching the three stooges so it shoots out my nose is a good replacement....

:stooges:
(04-26-2010, 08:43 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: Oh, thanks!

I don't suppose drinking milk and watching the three stooges so it shoots out my nose is a good replacement....

:stooges:

Who knows?  At this point, I'm about ready to give it a shot.  The discovery of penicillin was no less serendipitous.
Have you tried Mucinex?  It works well thinning mucus for colds.  I wouldn't take it long term, but maybe for short term relief...
I wouldn't call using a neti pot "pleasant." You know how it feels when you accidentally snort water in the shower or the swimming pool? Well, it feels like that only without the pain -- although it can be uncomfortable if the salt isn't properly dissolved. It is essential that the water be warm and salty in order to neti comfortably.

But you know, you get used to it, and it doesn't take very long.

So you've already tried this and it hasn't helped you?
(04-26-2010, 10:25 PM)Satori Wrote: I wouldn't call using a neti pot "pleasant." You know how it feels when you accidentally snort water in the shower or the swimming pool? Well, it feels like that only without the pain -- although it can be uncomfortable if the salt isn't properly dissolved. It is essential that the water be warm and salty in order to neti comfortably.

It's not unpleasant, when you get used to it.  I find it kind of relaxing. 

Anyway, I have tried it, but that was before the GERD diagnosis of a year ago.  Then I decided my problems were probably digestive, not sinus-related.  I never did it more than a couple of times a week.  Maybe I'll try it every day for a while.  As you say, it can't hurt.
(04-26-2010, 10:39 PM)anamchara Wrote:
(04-26-2010, 10:25 PM)Satori Wrote: I wouldn't call using a neti pot "pleasant." You know how it feels when you accidentally snort water in the shower or the swimming pool? Well, it feels like that only without the pain -- although it can be uncomfortable if the salt isn't properly dissolved. It is essential that the water be warm and salty in order to neti comfortably.

It's not unpleasant, when you get used to it.  I find it kind of relaxing. 

Anyway, I have tried it, but that was before the GERD diagnosis of a year ago.  Then I decided my problems were probably digestive, not sinus-related.  I never did it more than a couple of times a week.  Maybe I'll try it every day for a while.  As you say, it can't hurt.

I am living in a house full of cigarette smoke and scented candles, and I have no control over this. I deal with it in part by using the neti pot morning and night. From what I've read on the Internet, this is often a necessity to those of us plagued with allergies.

I am very thankful for goggleeyes her on FE, as she was the one who sang the praises of this device and got me to try it.

What's a "neti pot"?

But, really, what is it?

True story -- it's off-subject but now I've got to tell it:

I was in college, living with a pothead. We were getting ready to move to a new apartment and my very unworldly, naive mother came to help us pack. I was bent over a box and heard my mother's innocent little voice:"What do you want me to do with this vase?" I turned around and swallowed a shriek of laughter, for she was innocently waving pot-girl's bong in her lovely manicured hand. (It was a very pretty bong -- shiny red glass!) "Oh, you can wrap that vase and stick it in the box with the dishes," I gasped out before darting into the other room to die laughing.

Carry on.
(04-26-2010, 10:47 PM)Satori Wrote:

What's a "neti pot"?

But, really, what is it?

True story -- it's off-subject but now I've got to tell it:

I was in college, living with a pothead. We were getting ready to move to a new apartment and my very unworldly, naive mother came to help us pack. I was bent over a box and heard my mother's innocent little voice:"What do you want me to do with this vase?" I turned around and swallowed a shriek of laughter, for she was innocently waving pot-girl's bong in her lovely manicured hand. (It was a very pretty bong -- shiny red glass!) "Oh, you can wrap that vase and stick it in the box with the dishes," I gasped out before darting into the other room to die laughing.

Carry on.

This reminds me of my own pothead college story.  My Jewish suitemate was from New Jersey.  Flying home for spring break, he, gracious lad, brought all his dirty laundry home with him for his mom to wash.  (Not a criticism--I used to do the same thing.)   Unfortunately, he forgot about the little aspirin bottle full of weed he'd hidden in the lining of his jacket for his flight home. 

Sure enough, he's sleeping in the next morning and his mom does the wash.  Then she thows his wet clothes in the dryer.  Immediately, she hears something clanging around.  Next thing my old college buddy knows, his mom's storming into his bedroom, waking him from a sound sleep, waving this little aspirin bottle in his face.  "Is this what I think it is?!  Heroin?!" 

He lived to smoke another day.  He's now a successful family physician in Pennsylvania.