Chronic Post Nasal Drip
(04-26-2010, 08:36 PM)anamchara Wrote:
(04-26-2010, 08:27 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote:
(04-26-2010, 07:44 PM)Satori Wrote: A Neti pot never hurt anyone, allergies or no. Give 'er a whirl.

What's a "neti pot"?

Watch, it will be a meth pipe and you don't realize it...   :P

But, really, what is it?

It's a little teapot-looking thing.  You put warm water and non-iodized salt in it, and then you pour it down one nostril, tilting your head so it flows out the other.  Then you reverse nostrils. 

It sounds harrowing. but it's actually quite pleasant.  It does clear out your nostrils. 

doesn't the water have to go into your sinuses to do any good? 

my friend who uses the baby's nasal syringe says it make you cough and short and hack up a bunch of junk.  (better out than in, right?)

but i've never been able to get the hang of it, though i admit i've only tried it a couple of times.  am i supposed to tilt my head back?  i don't want to have to call 911 because i'm drowning standing up.

those drawings of someone using a neti pot crack me up because they make it look as if you can just pour water in one nostril and it will come out the other without going up to the top of your nose first so it can go over the septum.  i need a video, i guess.  hmmm.  youtube has everything else…

btw, Quis, neti pots are an Indian thing but not hard to find.  Vermont Country Store was selling them, may still be.  lots of people swear by them.

If you do find a youtube vid of someone using one of these, please link it. I gotta see this!
(04-27-2010, 04:28 PM)Iuvenalis Wrote: If you do find a youtube vid of someone using one of these, please link it. I gotta see this!

I just did it this afternoon, in the bathroom in the office.  You insert the nozzle of the neti pot into your right nostril, lean over the sink and tilt your head so the water flows down into your right nostril and out your left.  Then you tilt your head the other way and switch nostrils.  It's not that complicated.