Second Vatican Council 4th session
deleted
i see
(04-26-2010, 05:50 PM)salus Wrote: priests and sisters have left in droves, Catholic schools are closing and where is a Catholic university today?

new schools and parishes are opening in our archdiocese, a Catholic college has opened, several priests are ordained every year and some others transfer here, some with religious orders, some from other countries.

most private and public colleges and universities have priests assigned to them to at least say Sunday Mass on campus.  there are several religious orders, small in number but taking in a new postulant every year or so.  adult conversions are up and many Catholics move here to work or retire.

there must be other dioceses that are growing as ours is, while others decline as a result of demographic changes.  

i know there's a diocese in the next state that is growing like ours, though perhaps not as rapidly.  this is not to deny that people, including priests and religious, have left the Church, or that some of those losses were due to Vatican II.  

i think the Church would have experienced losses even without Vatican II, though, because there were major social changes in the late Sixties and early Seventies and many were no longer content with the ways of the past.  many turned away from religion entirely or looked for what they were seeking in Buddhism or some other exotic belief system, even the occult.  this trend had started in the Fifties, if not earlier, but became more widespread in the last Sixties and early Seventies.  the division in the country today is much like it was then because we're experiencing another period of chaos and unending war.