Never received a confirmation name.
A friend of mine never received a confirmation name and is wondering if there is any way to "get" one.  Her childhood faith was very minimalistic, but now she's beginning to feel that she missed out on a lot and trying to make up for lost time.  So is there a procedure for that? or is it not possible?
what childhood faith was that?
(04-28-2010, 10:06 AM)legendofheasty Wrote: A friend of mine never received a confirmation name and is wondering if there is any way to "get" one.  Her childhood faith was very minimalistic, but now she's beginning to feel that she missed out on a lot and trying to make up for lost time.  So is there a procedure for that? or is it not possible?

One can always choose a patron saint. It is not integral as far as I know to the sacrament.
I don't think there is.  I have the same problem.  I was confirmed in a felt banner NO parish of nothingness and never even thought about that sort of thing.  I could be wrong, but if one is going to take a name they do it before the bishop during the sacrament.  If you missed out you missed out.  Hopefully I'm wrong.

my class of adult converts was not told to choose a confirmation name but all of us had baptismal names that are saints' names so i consider the saint of my baptismal name as my patron, and actually had my choice as there is more than one saint of that name. 

you'd be surprised at how many names that seem secular are actually the name of at least one saint.

anyone can choose a patron saint, a new one every year if you like.

walty, if your name is walter and you were confirmed as 'walter,' you can choose between two blesseds.  i don't know if anyone ever chooses a beatus as a patron for confirmation but certainly their names can be used as baptismal names because i've known Catholics who were baptized 'walter.'  i had the site open lookign up something else so i checked on 'walter.'  then i closed the page but you can go to the site and do a search for 'walter' to learn about the two beati.

http://saints.sqpn.com

I know a girl who says she did not understand what was going during her confirmation so she had no patron saint. Her name was Anne so I gave her a third class relic of St. Anne declaring to her that she did indeed have a patron saint who had already been looking after her: her namesake.

Just have a devotion to a particular saint and honor them and you have a patron. Taking someone's name is just a well known way of honoring them. My baptism (birth) name is Seth so I consider St. Seth, the second patriarch in the Old Testament, to be one of my patron saints, my confirmation saint being Peter.
Most of us get the confirmation name from the sponsor for the confirmation (everyone must have one according to the canon law), so if she remembers who was her sponsor, she can just chose the name of that person. If not she can just chose any name out of the communion of the Saints, or chose her guardian angel, as ponsor in the supernatural world. 
I know it was popular in N.O. parishes for a while to not take a confirmation name (being as we are almost saints ourselves already).  Thankfully I am older and missed out on that nonsense.

I have my own patron saints.  Often there are one or more that just partucularly appeal to your heart. When I was 10 years old, I chose St. Agnes for my confirmation patroness.  When I took a religious name in my Third Order, I chose Joseph Mary Maximilian.  Actually the Joseph Mary part came to me quite clearly in prayer.  And I have a couple of others that I have also asked to be my special spiritual patrons such as St. Padre Pio and St. Therese.  I also have a special love for St. Thomas More, St. Francis of Assisi, St. Joseph Cupertino, St. Leopoldo Mandic, and St. Louis Marie de Montfort.  Actually I have a great love for many saints but those just named are 'special patrons'.

Sometimes I have had people tell me that a certain saint seemed to pick them.  Pray about this and see if it works that way for you or see who Our Lady wishes to help guide you to her Son Jesus.

Ave Maria!

ps: my baptismal name and middle name really were not saints names and my grandmother was not happy....but you can sort of say that my middle name of Kay is short for Katherine  or something.
I was lucky at my NO Parish we were encouraged to take Confirmation names.

(04-28-2010, 12:08 PM)Magdalene Wrote: ps: my baptismal name and middle name really were not saints names and my grandmother was not happy....but you can sort of say that my middle name of Kay is short for Katherine  or something.

kay is actually a diminutive form of katherine so just pick your saint catherine or katherine (you have many choices) as another patron for your list.