Never received a confirmation name.
(04-28-2010, 10:06 AM)legendofheasty Wrote: A friend of mine never received a confirmation name and is wondering if there is any way to "get" one.  Her childhood faith was very minimalistic, but now she's beginning to feel that she missed out on a lot and trying to make up for lost time.  So is there a procedure for that? or is it not possible?
(04-28-2010, 11:04 AM)Walty Wrote: I don't think there is.  I have the same problem.  I was confirmed in a felt banner NO parish of nothingness and never even thought about that sort of thing.  I could be wrong, but if one is going to take a name they do it before the bishop during the sacrament.  If you missed out you missed out.  Hopefully I'm wrong.
What is even more important to have missed out on is a valid Confirmation.  One should really look at their own Confirmation, and examine the matter, form, and intention (if possible).  In the Novus Ordo, it is not unthinkable that one's Confirmation could be invalid, which is "missing out" on a whole lot more than just a name.  And the way to get the name would be to get a conditional Confirmation such as the SSPX does.  In these days we need all the grace of the Sacraments we can get, so I for one don't want to have to wonder if my Confirmation was valid. 

I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for this girl you describe though, unless she is now Traditional.  But frankly, I don't see anything wrong with choosing a Saint you are devoted to, and asking them to be your Confirmation patron, as you can't recall who your Confirmation patron Saint is. 
Quote:
(04-28-2010, 11:04 AM)Walty Wrote: I don't think there is.  I have the same problem.  I was confirmed in a felt banner NO parish of nothingness and never even thought about that sort of thing.  I could be wrong, but if one is going to take a name they do it before the bishop during the sacrament.  If you missed out you missed out.  Hopefully I'm wrong.
What is even more important to have missed out on is a valid Confirmation.   One should really look at their own Confirmation, and examine the matter, form, and intention (if possible).  In the Novus Ordo, it is not unthinkable that one's Confirmation could be invalid, which is "missing out" on a whole lot more than just a name.   And the way to get the name would be to get a conditional Confirmation such as the SSPX does.  In these days we need all the grace of the Sacraments we can get, so I for one don't want to have to wonder if my Confirmation was valid. 

I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for this girl you describe though, unless she is now Traditional.   But frankly, I don't see anything wrong with choosing a Saint you are devoted to, and asking them to be your Confirmation patron, as you can't recall who your Confirmation patron Saint is. 

I've wondered about that more than once before.  The problem is, even if I believed it to be invalid I really can't say anything for sure.  So what do you do then?
If I had to guess, I'd say it was valid but I'll have to reread up on the matter and form of the sacrament.  Not telling those preparing for Confirmation to take a name was the least of this parishes problems.

The worst part is that my parents didn't give me a Christian first name either.
(04-28-2010, 04:41 PM)Walty Wrote:
Quote:
(04-28-2010, 11:04 AM)Walty Wrote: I was confirmed in a felt banner NO parish of nothingness and never even thought about that sort of thing. 
What is even more important to have missed out on is a valid Confirmation.   One should really look at their own Confirmation, and examine the matter, form, and intention (if possible).  In the Novus Ordo, it is not unthinkable that one's Confirmation could be invalid, which is "missing out" on a whole lot more than just a name.   And the way to get the name would be to get a conditional Confirmation such as the SSPX does.  In these days we need all the grace of the Sacraments we can get, so I for one don't want to have to wonder if my Confirmation was valid. 

I've wondered about that more than once before.  The problem is, even if I believed it to be invalid I really can't say anything for sure.  So what do you do then?
If I had to guess, I'd say it was valid but I'll have to reread up on the matter and form of the sacrament.  Not telling those preparing for Confirmation to take a name was the least of this parishes problems.

Hi Walty, I was pretty much in the same boat.  Actually, I didn't have too much to go on other than the year.  If you know what year you were confirmed, that might make a difference.  Like, if it was before they changed the Rite, you would most likely consider it valid; the later you were Confirmed, and if you were in a particularly "progressive" diocese (which from your description sounds like it's likely the case), I would be conditionally Confirmed just in case.  That's kind of what I was advised.  You shouldn't have to wonder.  And that is why the SSPX does it conditionally, like conditional Baptism.  Since it can't be administered twice, they do it conditionally, in case the previous one was invalid. 
(04-28-2010, 04:41 PM)Walty Wrote:
Quote:

I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for this girl you describe though, unless she is now Traditional.   But frankly, I don't see anything wrong with choosing a Saint you are devoted to, and asking them to be your Confirmation patron, as you can't recall who your Confirmation patron Saint is. 

Ah see thats where I lucked out I was confirmed in a NO Church that didnt to saint names either since we are all saints already Rolling eyes. But my name Is Edmund So I just use Edmund Campion.
Taking a name at Confirmation is not necessary for the sacrament to "work." It's a custom, like enrolling children in the Brown Scapular at First Communion. If your friend wants a name, then pick a name.
When Mrs DS converted, we were at a felt banner NO parish of nothingness (love that phrase, I am adopting it).  In regard to confirmation names, she was told "the Church doesn't do that anymore". 

I politely suggested to the pastoral assistant (OK, maybe not politely, the phrase "complete bulls**t" did come into play) that this was in error.

So she ultimately was confirmed with her chosen saint's name.