divine mercy chaplet question
(05-01-2010, 01:06 PM)i.p.i. Wrote: In his sermon at St. Faustina's canonization, JPII said

this Second Sunday of Easter, which from now on throughout the Church will be called "Divine Mercy Sunday".

but he didn't declare this as doctrine so a future pope could change it, am i correct?

The Pope could change the date of Christmas if he wanted to. (It would be completely nonsensical and anti-traditional, but insofar as it's not a doctrine, it can be changed. A real, dramatic example would be the Gregorian calendar reform of 1582, which completely changed the system of dating Easter.)

Anyway, I can't tell what Pope John Paul is precisely saying in context, but out of context, it would seem that I'm wrong, and Low Sunday is officially Divine Mercy Sunday. Though it doesn't mean that it ceases to be Low Sunday, or Dominica in albis, etc. It simply adds another official designation.

hk,

check the vatican link that gigas gave for context.  i just quoted the bit relevant to whether or not he changed the name of Low Sunday.
(05-01-2010, 01:12 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: Anyway, I can't tell what Pope John Paul is precisely saying in context, but out of context, it would seem that I'm wrong, and Low Sunday is officially Divine Mercy Sunday. Though it doesn't mean that it ceases to be Low Sunday, or Dominica in albis, etc. It simply adds another official designation.

Our pastor at my local NO parish mentioned all three names and explained the historical origin of "Dominica in albis".  He talked about Divine Mercy as well as the Gospel reading in his homily.
My favourite term is Quasimodo Sunday. Not just because of the Hunchback of Notre Dame reference, but chant geeks are more inclined to refer to days after its Mass's Introitus.
hmmmm so what did the original prayers look like?
(04-30-2010, 06:39 PM)glgas Wrote: Low Sunday is the Octave of Easter, also known as Dominica in Albis, White Sunday, or St Thomas' Sunday (because the Gospel was the strory how Thomas belived Jesus' resurrection after he touched Him. (John 20) . The Low Sunday name probably means that the festivities of Easter are over.

St Faustina never painted any image. The so called Original depicts his confessor, neither St Faustina, nor his confessor liked it.The so called second image, which is more popular  is significantly different. You can buy copies of the 'original' here: http://www.mercyimages.com/product.aspx?...NIUScanvas
The visions also said (I think) that the image doesn't have to be exactly what she saw; the key elements were what mattered.

Quote:St Faustina's vision and diary were suspected by a series of popes, John Paul II accepted and popularized the devotion.
Yes, due to translation and understanding issues, it seemed suspect of trying to supplant the sacrament of penance.