For those who think it is a sin to attend a Novus Ordo mass...
(05-10-2010, 03:00 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:
(05-10-2010, 02:38 PM)JayneK Wrote: How can I be in communion with the Pope if I refuse to attend the Mass that he celebrates on the grounds that it is not Catholic?

Because your obedience to Holy Mother Church and the Papacy trumps your obedience to the present Pope.

But I can only obey the present Pope.  Obedience is concrete and practical.  I cannot obey an abstract ideal of "papacy," only an actual pope.  I remain loyal and obedient to Benedict XVI.
(05-10-2010, 03:36 PM)JayneK Wrote:
(05-10-2010, 03:00 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:
(05-10-2010, 02:38 PM)JayneK Wrote: How can I be in communion with the Pope if I refuse to attend the Mass that he celebrates on the grounds that it is not Catholic?

Because your obedience to Holy Mother Church and the Papacy trumps your obedience to the present Pope.

But I can only obey the present Pope.  Obedience is concrete and practical.  I cannot obey an abstract ideal of "papacy," only an actual pope.  I remain loyal and obedient to Benedict XVI.

Perhaps I worded it badly then. The Papacy is not an abstract ideal but a concrete office instituted by Our Lord. Even if the current pope is unworthy of the tiara, the Papacy must never be rejected because it is an integral dogma of Our Holy Faith. If a certain pope deviates from the faith, you must not follow him in the name of an ill-devised obedience. You must disobey him and obey the Papacy of all-time instead.

Let's see if you understand me: you will be supremely loyal to Benedict XVI, the Pope, and obedient to the Church by rejecting the new Mass, the same way you'd be obedient to Honorius and the Church by rejecting his monothelite compromise.