Atkins - advice from those of you who have done it
(05-02-2010, 01:08 PM)DesperatelySeeking Wrote: I've never dieted, but Mrs DS has, and Atkins is one of the things she's tried.  Since she runs the kitchen, when SHE'S on the Atkins, I'M on the Atkins.

I have to say that, other than missing pasta, it really wasn't too much of a hardship.  Meat at every meal was a bonus - having bacon, sausage, & ham in the house for breakfast was fantastic! 

How much did you both loose, if I may ask?  Anything that you ate that you noticed caused a slowdown?

I wont be eating as much fat and I fear that will lessen the diet's effects.
I lost about 25 pounds in 3 months on Atkins many years ago.  I still felt healthy enough, and was mountain biking 15 hours a week or so at the time.  The diet was unsustainable to me though, I couldn't go on eating nothing but meat and green veggies.  I dont see how a vegetarian would last even as long as I did, unless you REALLY like soy products.
(05-02-2010, 12:13 PM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote:
(05-02-2010, 12:08 PM)matthew_talbot Wrote: Eat whole grains only.
Grains and milk are widespread, but they should only be used when necessary. They are not really ideal for humans. Also, "whole grain" products usually aren't. ..

Make all the whole grain products from scratch just to be sure.  :)
(05-02-2010, 07:11 PM)matthew_talbot Wrote:
(05-02-2010, 12:13 PM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote:
(05-02-2010, 12:08 PM)matthew_talbot Wrote: Eat whole grains only.
Grains and milk are widespread, but they should only be used when necessary. They are not really ideal for humans. Also, "whole grain" products usually aren't. ..

Make all the whole grain products from scratch just to be sure.  :)

If one has access to the grain, that would work. However, that isn't something one can easily buy.
Check out south beach.  When I wanted to do Atkins my doc recommended South Beach instead.  He called it "Atkins with brains" because they separate the different kinds of fats while atkins doesn't.  It sounds a bit like what Herr is suggesting but without being vegan or vegetarian.
(05-03-2010, 12:07 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: Check out south beach.  When I wanted to do Atkins my doc recommended South Beach instead.  He called it "Atkins with brains" because they separate the different kinds of fats while atkins doesn't.  It sounds a bit like what Herr is suggesting but without being vegan or vegetarian.

I brought up vegetarianism because the OP stated he was.

If I had to give general advice for being healthy (not for being skinny, bulking up, etc, but healthy in all areas), I'd recommend:

* Eat only whole foods (foods which are only physically manipulated, not chemically or otherwise)
* When eating meat, eat only full cuts of meat. Do not eat meat which is not cut out of an animal (no hotdogs, weird uniform "lunch" meats, etc. It has to be sliced from a muscle)
* If one is not very active, or wants to lose fat, do not eat processed grains (so, no breads, pastas, etc, whole wheat or not) and do not consume anything with added sugar
* Eat fresh vegetables at the start of each meal (ie, a salad)
* Drink water, lots of water.
* Do not drink milk unless you are breastfeeding or have no food around.
* Do not be obsessive. Breaking the above rules can be done for treats or special occasions without issue

The proportions of fat, carbs and protein will vary according to food that is available, but normally, if one has even a little variety, everything will work out. My diet is high in fat I think, but if I had more fresh fruits it would be high in sugar. The exact numbers would probably defy "conventional" advice (brought to you by the FDA, which is bought by special interests...high grain diets are not necessary and it in fact makes no sense to recommend that), but it is healthy.
(05-03-2010, 12:07 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: Check out south beach.  When I wanted to do Atkins my doc recommended South Beach instead.  He called it "Atkins with brains" because they separate the different kinds of fats while atkins doesn't.  It sounds a bit like what Herr is suggesting but without being vegan or vegetarian.

I saw an old thread of yours where you mentioned your doctor laid down the law on you doing Atkins.  Were you able to lose your weight (how big were you?) on the South Beach Diet?
I did Atkins for a while about 5 years ago.  The thing about Atkins is that unless you can sustain that diet indefinitely, it will only work in the short term.  You will lose weight, but you may not be able to keep it off.  I didn't.  I gained my 30 lbs back and more. 

Also, you said you were going to eat a lot of soy products and faux meats.  Be careful with that.  Soy has natural estrogens and you might get some "unintended side-effects". 

Seriously, cut out the soda.  You might be surprised to see how much weight you lose just by that one change.

As somebody who is 75 lbs overweight and is trying to lose that weight, I've tried every diet in the book.  They all work...for a while.  I'm faced with the realization that it will take proper diet and more exercise to get it off, and an overall lifestyle change to keep it off.  It's going to be hard...unbelievably hard, but hopefully worth it. 

One final thought.  My dad has a saying..."Moderation in all things, including moderation."  It's okay to have a soda every now and then, or pizza, or chocolate.  Just not a lot and not every day.  Give yourself one day a week that you can "cheat" a little on your diet.  You'd be surprised how easy it is to stay on it the rest of the week.

Good luck...
(05-03-2010, 01:41 PM)amasimp Wrote: I did Atkins for a while about 5 years ago.  The thing about Atkins is that unless you can sustain that diet indefinitely, it will only work in the short term.  You will lose weight, but you may not be able to keep it off.  I didn't.  I gained my 30 lbs back and more. 

Also, you said you were going to eat a lot of soy products and faux meats.  Be careful with that.  Soy has natural estrogens and you might get some "unintended side-effects". 

Seriously, cut out the soda.  You might be surprised to see how much weight you lose just by that one change.

As somebody who is 75 lbs overweight and is trying to lose that weight, I've tried every diet in the book.  They all work...for a while.  I'm faced with the realization that it will take proper diet and more exercise to get it off, and an overall lifestyle change to keep it off.  It's going to be hard...unbelievably hard, but hopefully worth it. 

One final thought.  My dad has a saying..."Moderation in all things, including moderation."  It's okay to have a soda every now and then, or pizza, or chocolate.  Just not a lot and not every day.  Give yourself one day a week that you can "cheat" a little on your diet.  You'd be surprised how easy it is to stay on it the rest of the week.

Good luck...

Once its off, Ive been fairly good at maintaining the weight.  I had gotten depressed, and I think that is why I had such a poor relapse.  And eventually, the cycle fed itself - I ate because I was depressed, but I yet the more eating made me more depressed.  I dont blame my previous diet for the weight gain; I think that too simplistic.  I got lazy and ate for convenience.

I think the 'idea' behind Atkins is still a good one;  people simply eat too much carbs these days, and watching that is probably not a bad idea.

I came up with my own revolutionary diet based on the laws of the Universe.  It's called the PeterII Eat more, Eat less diet.  If you're skinny, you should eat more.  If you're fat, you should eat less.  Magically, your body will change shape as a result.  If someone can turn that into a 200 page book and market it to the masses, I would be most appreciative.

Also, a good calorie free substitute for soda is soda water with lime in it.