Hebrew Roots Movement
(05-02-2010, 06:33 PM)matthew1618 Wrote:
(05-02-2010, 05:41 PM)JayneK Wrote:
(05-02-2010, 05:29 PM)matthew1618 Wrote: Well, according to them, followers of Christ are "not" Christians because the word "Christian" isn't in The Bible.

???

It's in my Bible.  Doesn't theirs have Acts 11:26?  It says: "The disciples were first called Christians at Antioch."

But of course, but their argument is that the "English" word didn't exist in the Aramaic Bible.

That is incorrect.  The Aramaic word that appears in Acts 11:26 is transliterated ""Kristyane"  which, given an Anglicized spelling, is "Christian". If you want to check out for yourself any of their claims, I suggest an interlinear version of the Peshitta such as this one: http://www.peshitta.org/

(05-02-2010, 06:33 PM)matthew1618 Wrote: When I ask them if the word Yashua existed, they jump up and scream YES!
But when I remind them that Yashua is an English word, they say no, it's Hebrew.
I remind them that there are no Y's or a's or s's or h's or u's in the Hebrew alphabet, that those are English letters.

Out roll the curses and insults from them and the accusations that I am Satan.
:pazzo:

It sounds like it is not possible to reason with them and that you are wasting your time.  They are not making sense and you are not going to get them to admit it.  If you like arguing with people you might as well stay on Fisheaters where there plenty of us argumentative people. ;D
(05-02-2010, 07:17 PM)JayneK Wrote: That is incorrect.  The Aramaic word that appears in Acts 11:26 is transliterated ""Kristyane"  which, given an Anglicized spelling, is "Christian". If you want to check out for yourself any of their claims, I suggest an interlinear version of the Peshitta such as this one: http://www.peshitta.org/

Well, someone needs to tell them that.
But they say it doesn't exist.

Quote:It sounds like it is not possible to reason with them and that you are wasting your time.   They are not making sense and you are not going to get them to admit it.  If you like arguing with people you might as well stay on Fisheaters where there plenty of us argumentative people. ;D

:laughing:

After a while, it just didn't feel right.
It was like playing Dodgeball against someone who was in a wheelchair.
It just wasn't fair.
I felt like I was abusing them.

(05-02-2010, 07:56 PM)matthew1618 Wrote: After a while, it just didn't feel right.
It just wasn't fair.

I understand.  One feels dishonourable when one engages in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.
(05-02-2010, 08:11 PM)JayneK Wrote:
(05-02-2010, 07:56 PM)matthew1618 Wrote: After a while, it just didn't feel right.
It just wasn't fair.

I understand.  One feels dishonourable when one engages in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.

I've actually had to confess it (the pride I'd take in destroying them and rendering them helpless leaving them whimpering in the corner sucking their thumbs).

My pride was getting the best of me and I wasn't serving God anymore, but Satan by being a poor example of a Universal Christian.

I must have made them hate Catholics even more not for me telling them the truth,
but for the arrogance and tone in my words to them.

:(

Literally took me years to put down my Crusader's sword and be more gentle with my words.
This is common. If logic worked, everyone would be in agreement.

We have to realise this when engaging others. Sometimes, logically showing them to be wrong is not the course one should take.
I love this topic-because it explains something for me.  My family converted to Christianty.  Grandparents started as Episcopalian, then mixed then the kids are Roman Catholic.  But, most of the traditions remained.  I thought everyone had a menorah next to the tree. 

Recently I met another Jew who found Christ who says he is "Messianic".  When had some good talks, but then like an Amway salesmen, he asked if I could write Jes*s in Hebrew.  I said no, that the name of G*D can't be written down so it can't be erased, thrown away, etc etc.  Yes there are Bibles with it, but I haven't written one.  He kept pushing and I again reminded him that in Judaism it isn't done, ever.

He flounced off mumbling how I didn't understand, and that Catholic were not really true Christian. 

Now I know! 

AND
About pride, it is hard not to be prideful when you have G*d in you and you deal with idiots. 

Yours in Chr*st
Anya
These are the guys who insist spelling "G-d" instead of "God"?