School teachers a hundred times more likely to abuse children than priests
(05-07-2010, 01:18 PM)ardens Wrote:
(05-07-2010, 12:57 PM)Jesse Wrote: The priest is held to a higher standard because, well, he is a priest.

:clap:

And this is actually the reason the media is getting any play with the whole scandal.

I think that another major reason is that many people are looking for an excuse to reject the moral authority of the Church.  My impression is that this is the reason that dominates, even though Jesse's point is true enough.
(05-07-2010, 12:57 PM)Jesse Wrote: The priest is held to a higher standard because, well, he is a priest.

And this is actually the reason the media is getting any play with the whole scandal.

I don't think so.  True, priests should be held to a higher standard, but then so should any religious leader (minister, rabbi, imam, etc.).  How many sex abuse scandals has the media covered on these individuals?

As I said before, I think it's all about the celibacy.  The modern media just doesn't get men (and women) choosing to live a life of celibacy for the greater glory of God.  They think it's archaic and, therefore, it ought to be destroyed.
(05-07-2010, 01:33 PM)Pilgrim Wrote:

I don't think so.  True, priests should be held to a higher standard, but then so should any religious leader (minister, rabbi, imam, etc.).  How many sex abuse scandals has the media covered on these individuals?

As I said before, I think it's all about the celibacy.  The modern media just doesn't get men (and women) choosing to live a life of celibacy for the greater glory of God.  They think it's archaic and, therefore, it ought to be destroyed.

I agree that celibacy plays a major part.  It's so silly when people say that priests should get married to solve the problem of priests homosexually molesting children.  As if marriage and homosexual molestation are somehow related...

I also think that another reason (among many reasons, some legitimate, many not) that the Catholic Church is being focused on is its size.  It is the single largest religious organization in the world.  That makes issues with the Church newsworthy.  Scandal is more scandalous the bigger it is.

Pax,
Jesse
All these mundane reasons are great and very true.  Keep in mind, though, that this modernist attack on the Church is really an extension of the Protestant heresy, which Satan has kept alive all this time.  So many of those attacking Holy Mother Church have simply opened themselves up to the devil and his minions and are not doing his dirty work.  Very sad, really, that these people have been so twisted as to attack the source of joy in this life and the next.  :(  Lest we lose humility: God have mercy on me, a sinner!

Saint Michael Archangel, defend us in battle...
(05-07-2010, 11:42 AM)Pilgrim Wrote: And, yes, I use the term "pony up" because so many people seem to assume that education just happens out of the blue, as if teachers don't really matter.

Funny thing is, much learning does just happen out of the blue.  My siblings and I all learned to speak, understand, and read basic English before spending a day in school, as most kids did before parents started sending them at 2-3 years old for the free daycare.  No one "educated" us in this; we just picked it up from being read to and listening to people talk.  Other things we learned at home, many before we started school, were:  how to dress ourselves and tie our shoes, how to use the bathroom, how to count and do basic arithmetic, how to measure ingredients and cook simple things, how to plant things and help in the garden, how to fish, and much much more.  School is the one place where education doesn't just happen out of the blue, because things aren't allowed to "just happen" there.

I love this quote from D. H. Lawrence:  "How to begin to educate a child. First rule: leave him alone. Second rule: leave him alone. Third rule: leave him alone. That is the whole beginning."