Why do you think philosophy is so unpopular here?
(05-08-2010, 05:03 PM)JamieF Wrote:
(05-08-2010, 04:57 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: As usual, it becomes good to refer to Plato for all other philosophy is just a footnote to him.

"Plato - Theaetetus" Wrote:  Theaet. Yes, Socrates, and I am amazed when I think of them; by
the Gods I am! and I want to know what on earth they mean; and there
are times when my head quite swims with the contemplation of them.

Soc. I see, my dear Theaetetus, that Theodorus had a true insight
into your nature when he said that you were a philosopher, for
wonder is the feeling of a philosopher, and philosophy begins in
wonder.
He was not a bad genealogist who said that Iris (the messenger
of heaven) is the child of Thaumas (wonder). But do you begin to see
what is the explanation of this perplexity on the hypothesis which
we attribute to Protagoras?

Philosophy begins in wonder; most people don't wonder - they blindly accept or wonder about mundane things.

I think St Thomas Aquinas would beg to differ.  Plato and neo-platonism has a fundamental flaw - denial (or perhaps ignorance) of the peripatetic axiom.  Aristotle and Aquinas stand in contrast to Plato in this regard - not as builders on his foundation.

Personally, I think that axiom is erroneous (a counter example is the Natural Law which is engraved on our souls and not known through our senses and seems to agree more with a Platonic form), but that's neither here nor there.

I was stealing a quote from Whitehead:

"So far as concerns philosophy only a selected group can be explicitly mentioned. There is no point in endeavouring to force the interpretations of divergent philosophers into a vague agreement. What is important is that the scheme of interpretation here adopted can claim for each of its main positions the express authority of one, or the other, of some supreme master of thought - Plato, Aristotle, Descartes, Locke, Hume, Kant. But ultimately nothing rests on authority; the final court of appeal is intrinsic reasonableness.

The safest general characterization of the European philosophical tradition is that it consists of a series of footnotes to Plato. I do not mean the systematic scheme of thought which scholars have doubtfully extracted from his writings. I allude to the wealth of general ideas scattered through them.."

Messages In This Thread
Re: Why do you think philosophy is so unpopular here? - by Historian - 05-08-2010, 05:11 PM