Why do you think philosophy is so unpopular here?
(05-08-2010, 06:03 PM)JayneK Wrote:
(05-08-2010, 05:12 PM)JamieF Wrote: If you were to take a course in Formal Logic you would build up from there.  Until you have done that, you should not bother at all with theology, metaphysics, etc.  Logic is the essential foundation of knowledge - without it you can't deduce whether what you are reading is true or not.  

OK. I have done a course in Formal Logic.  What is the next step?  I just randomly took 3 philosophy courses that I needed as degree requirements and they don't fit together. (As well as the logic course, I did an survey of existentialism and an intro to Aquinas.)  I really want a good foundation in philosophy because I want to be able to do theology properly.   

If theology is your goal, I suggest you study Aquinas in-depth and go from there.  Other philosophical systems contain heretical and unCatholic elements in them.  For Catholic philosophy, it is best to start with Aquinas.

Catholic philosophy is bound by what is Divinely revealed and what the Church teaches to be the truth.  If the philosophical system contradicts that (e.g., Plato and pre-existence of souls), that element is to be rejected and the underlying error sought.  Aquinas has no contradictions and forms a good basis for Catholic philosophical thought.  Besides that, the Popes pre-V2 demanded it be taught in all seminaries, so it makes sense to follow good advice.

Once you have that, or at least an understanding of what makes certain philosophical concepts Catholic or unCatholic, you can look at other philosophical systems that have errors in them but are not inherently contrary to the Church and have been used within Catholic theology.  I suggest Platonism, Neo-Platonism, Aristoteleanism, and Augustinianism depending on what you like.  Most modern philosophy is crap.

ETA: this is an interesting read:

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12025c.htm

Messages In This Thread
Re: Why do you think philosophy is so unpopular here? - by Historian - 05-08-2010, 06:09 PM