Why do you think philosophy is so unpopular here?
(05-08-2010, 05:27 PM)JamieF Wrote: There are so many errors in platonism and neo-platonism that I can't understand what a traditional Catholic would embrace that over the sound doctrines of St Thomas.

You're not a big fan of Saint Augustine I take it?

I agree with QuisUtDeus.
Aquinas was heavily influenced by Platonism. Dionysius is cited over 1700 times!
Dionysius wasn't his only Platonic source. Aquinas was quite familiar with the Liber de Causis for example. The 'liber' was an influential work ascribed to Aristotle. It was in fact a Muslim paraphrasing of Plotinus. Interestingly enough, Aquinas was the first to recognize its Platonic provenance. It just goes to show you how familiar he was with the Platonic tradition.
Let's not forget that most of the ancient commentaries on Aristotle that Aquinas had access to were written by Platonists. As for the Arabic commentaries, they were all heavily influenced by Platonism as well.

(05-08-2010, 05:27 PM)JamieF Wrote:  Anything which has merit in the work of Plato was absorbed by the Schoolmen into the Aristotelean system anyway - what is left is chaff.  

It is hard to absorbe what you don't have access to.
The only Platonic dialogue available to the Scholastics was a poor translation of the first half of the Timaeus.
That's not to say that Platonic thought wasn't absorbed though. Platonism was alive and well in interpretations of Aristotle among other places.

The Neoplatonists considered Aristotle to be one of their own. In Late Antiquity, Plato and Aristotle were extremely interconnected. This legacy was passed on to the middle ages. Medieval Aristoteleanism was informed by Platonism and vice versa, as had been the case for centuries.

I really don't understand your aversion to Plato and his followers. The whole medieval world was steeped in Plato through secondary sources(The Dream of Scipio!). I just don't get your attitude. Plato made the middle ages what it was.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Why do you think philosophy is so unpopular here? - by Dionysius - 05-22-2010, 04:41 PM