What is the worst liturgical abuse you have seen personally?
A distinction was made in another thread between internet stories and personal experiences. That made me wonder what liturgical abuses people had seen personally.  I'm not restricting this to NO, although that is my personal experience.

The worst liturgical abuse that I personally witnessed was when the priest changed the prayers of the "Preparation of the Gifts" (they start "Blessed are You, Lord of all creation...").  He substituted the Jewish blessings over bread and wine, in Hebrew, which actually are somewhat similar in meaning.  He probably meant to be making some sort of point about Jesus having Jewish heritage, but the message that I got was that we was saying that Catholic and Jewish are interchangeable.  It felt like he was saying that I needn't to have bothered becoming a Christian.  I was very upset.
Probably some minor word changes, such as changing "Him" to "God" or a priest changing "me" to "us" for words that referred to himself.
I can thank God by saying that I've never experienced any kind of major abuse Pray
I have had to listen to some crappy music, I mean hymns Rolling eyes and I have heard some bad homilies, but never out and out heresy. I've never had to see any liturgical dance or any rainbow vestments, all in all I've been very blessed. That's what it is too, a blessing. Our Lord knows that with my temper I just couldn't handle that kinda crap ;D
I've seen lots of crappy liturgy at the Novus Ordo, but I can't think of one instance where I saw something that was an abuse by the Novus Ordo's own standards. I do remember, a few months ago, singing the Missa Orbis Factor and some of the Propers with my Gregorian schola alongside a Lifeteen-style praise rock band, which provided music for other things. The contrast was pretty weird, as you can imagine.

I've seen lots of liturgical abuses or major mistakes at the Tridentine Mass. Just today, the celebrant at a sung Mass sang the wrong Epistle.
(05-09-2010, 03:30 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: Just today, the celebrant at a sung Mass sang the wrong Epistle.

Doh! That was a careless mistake I'm sure, but still: Dunce
I guess this is a good place to ask my question

when I'm near the priest during holy communion I always see someone make the sign of the cross with the Host and once I saw someone take the Blessed Sacrement with them to their pew

what should I do?
(05-09-2010, 03:46 PM)ketchum Wrote: I guess this is a good place to ask my question

when I'm near the priest during holy communion I always see someone make the sign of the cross with the Host and once I saw someone take the Blessed Sacrement with them to their pew

what should I do?

Tell the priest.  At my local NO parish, the priest follows people to their pew if they walk away with the Blessed Sacrament. (It doesn't happen all that often.) I suppose he either tells them to return it or consume it depending on the circumstances.  If your priest does not do anything about it, then I don't think you should go to Mass there again.

[ETA: Do an act of reparation, too.]
I have lots of these stories, the worst to me was here in Andover, Kansas. they use leavened bread hosts shaped like cookies, and the lay ministers hold a large cookie tray with all the "hosts" and you serve yourself.
(05-09-2010, 03:56 PM)JayneK Wrote:
(05-09-2010, 03:46 PM)ketchum Wrote: I guess this is a good place to ask my question

what should I do?

Tell the priest.  At my local NO parish, the priest follows people to their pew if they walk away with the Blessed Sacrament. (It doesn't happen all that often.) I suppose he either tells them to return it or consume it depending on the circumstances.  If your priest does not do anything about it, then I don't think you should go to Mass there again.

[ETA: Do an act of reparation, too.]

what if we wrote a letter to our holy father telling him all the terrible things that have happened becasue of the dumb indult?
I missed most of it. I was half way out by '65 and by '70, it was in the rear view mirror. I didn't like the guitar mass nor the folk music, but I thought Dylan was a joke, too.The way I am made if things get weird, then I can't assimilate it, so I book. I never would entertain the idea of any denomination, and there were lots like me. It was a common notion that we were like jews in that if one had been a Catholic everything else was well just pretend. There are many, many like me still out there lost, believing that it is a diaspora. I keep my eye out for them and I always have scapulars and rosaries and I give 'em to 'em hoping.You would be surprised how many people you meet in Saloons when you talk about the TLM in '59 or being an altar boy, many cry.I guess it's theology on tap.
tim