What is the worst liturgical abuse you have seen personally?
Having been born over 10 years after the NO came into being, I wasnt aware of liturgical abuses at the time.  After awhile, I became a Christmas + Easter Catholic, and ceased attending after December 1995 (I was 14 at the time).   I do however remember horrible homilies that were embarrassing to listen to.  I remember one about 1990 or so where the priest somehow tied a religious message in with a homily on the then-new Game Boy!   And to make it worse, this was at an otherwise doctrinally sound Catholic Church/School (Mt Calvary in Foresthill, Maryland).

After my father moved our family to Ohio, we were placed in a terrible Catholic school where indifferentism rained supreme with our priest.  I went through First Communion without learning a thing about Real Presence;  in fact, I never heard the actual teaching until after I became a lapsed Catholic.  The worst I can recall at that Church liturgical abuse wise was just bad guitar masses.
NO Mass in Santa Monica, CA.  Earth, Wind, & Fire type of rock/r&b band on the altar, in front of the Tabernacle for the whole Mass.  Electric guitar & bass, drum kit, digital piano, tambourines, and about 30 amplified voices.  The "homily" was all touchy-feely, everything's alright.  One of the old ushers was standing in the main aisle swaying and tapping to the beat with a rolled up bulletin.  I was initially refused communion on the tongue, but stood firm with a simple "No" when he said, "in the hand, please."  There was some sort pep-talk about a new athletic center at the local school, or something (I knelt and prayed... I couldn't take listening to it).  There was ample dancing, swaying, hand clapping, chitter-chatter, etc.

Absolutely abhorrent.  And everyone there thought it was just the greatest thing.  I pray for those people, and those priests.  Quite sad, really.
(05-09-2010, 10:03 PM)PatrickTorsell Wrote: NO Mass in Santa Monica, CA.  Earth, Wind, & Fire type of rock/r&b band on the altar, in front of the Tabernacle for the whole Mass.  Electric guitar & bass, drum kit, digital piano, tambourines, and about miked 30 voices.  The "homily" was all touchy-feely, everything's alright.  One of the old ushers was standing in the main aisle swaying and tapping to the beat with a rolled up bulletin.  I was initially refused communion on the tongue, but stood firm with a simple "No" when he said, "in the hand, please."  There was some sort pep-talk about a new athletic center at the local school, or something (I knelt and prayed... I couldn't take listening to it).  There was ample dancing, swaying, hand clapping, chitter-chatter, etc.

Absolutely abhorrent.  And everyone there thought it was just the greatest thing.  I pray for those people, and those priests.  Quite sad, really.

My Grandmother in soCal says the Churches in CA have been making a slow-move to Pentecostal like Masses.  You see any of that?
(05-09-2010, 10:05 PM)Robert De Brus Wrote:
(05-09-2010, 10:03 PM)PatrickTorsell Wrote: NO Mass in Santa Monica, CA.  Earth, Wind, & Fire type of rock/r&b band on the altar, in front of the Tabernacle for the whole Mass.  Electric guitar & bass, drum kit, digital piano, tambourines, and about miked 30 voices.  The "homily" was all touchy-feely, everything's alright.  One of the old ushers was standing in the main aisle swaying and tapping to the beat with a rolled up bulletin.  I was initially refused communion on the tongue, but stood firm with a simple "No" when he said, "in the hand, please."  There was some sort pep-talk about a new athletic center at the local school, or something (I knelt and prayed... I couldn't take listening to it).  There was ample dancing, swaying, hand clapping, chitter-chatter, etc.

My Grandmother in soCal says the Churches in CA have been making a slow-move to Pentecostal like Masses.  You see any of that?

Fortunately, I don't live there.  The above description was the only Mass I've attended in that diocese (it was a family function, y'know).  I didn't notice anything particularly Pentecostal, but there came a point when I quit listening and just prayed, prayed, prayed...
(05-09-2010, 10:05 PM)Robert De Brus Wrote: My Grandmother in soCal says the Churches in CA have been making a slow-move to Pentecostal like Masses.  You see any of that?

What is a Pentecostal Like Mass?? Is that the same thing as a Charismatic Mass when people supposedly "speak in tongues" and faint on the spot?? I've been told some of the laity who attend these masses are very strict and believe everything attached to the world is from the devil... Shouldn't they be attending some Protestant sect?" Newark has a few Charismatic parishes and they seem to cater to the black community.
(05-09-2010, 10:11 PM)crusaderfortruth3372 Wrote:
(05-09-2010, 10:05 PM)Robert De Brus Wrote: My Grandmother in soCal says the Churches in CA have been making a slow-move to Pentecostal like Masses.  You see any of that?

What is a Pentecostal Like Mass?? Is that the same thing as a Charismatic Mass when people supposedly "speak in tongues" and faint on the spot?? I've been told some of the laity who attend these masses are very strict and believe everything attached to the world is from the devil... Shouldn't they be attending some Protestant sect?" Newark has a few Charismatic parishes and they seem to cater to the black community.

That was just her description.  I assume she meant Charismatic Mass, but specifically she said the priest was running around like a Pentecostal minister.
(05-09-2010, 10:15 PM)Robert De Brus Wrote: That was just her description.  I assume she meant Charismatic Mass, but specifically she said the priest was running around like a Pentecostal minister.

Yes, and I'm sure Fr. Pfleger conducts his mass in the same manner... Must be very prevalent in the inner cites and unfortunately the Bishops just let them all get away with it.  Very sad!  sad
The Priest at one of the local NO Churches in town has two podiums set up besides the pulpit and he chooses two women to read the gospel every Sunday with him. He reads the Narrator and they read the rest. Very sad.
This same Priest ad libs the Mass and refuses to let anyone kneel during the Eucharistic prayer.
I have been told by a Priest and two Nuns on seperate occasions when I asked if we could have Eucharistic adoration "no we dont worship bread".
At a newman center Mass I have seen two college students who were distributing the ashes while the Priest sat there throw the ashes at their friends and boyfriends.
At same newman center I saw the Priest give the homily using a Winnie the Pooh puppet.
At a local Church in the Round the priest flipped the altar lengthwise and did the consecration at one end.  He said it was to "reinforce that we're all eating at the Lord's table."    This same parish has crumbly bread, no crucifix, and the tabernacle stashed in another room.

Oh yeah, and it also pulls in nearly 20k a month, so the Bishop won't touch it.
Hard to categorize which is the worst... And I may have repressed some memories as they are too awful.

A 60-something year old lapel-pin nun doing some sort of interpretive dance while holding an ugly ceramic vase with incense in it. This during the Our Father set to music, complete with drums.

Lifeteen Masses. A bunch of teenagers rush the Sanctuary and circle up around the altar and join hands for the consecration. Also at the end, they immediately contradict the priest. He says, "The Mass is ended...." and they respond with, The Mass never ends! It must be lived!"

Recent converts being invited to give a "reflection" where the homily should be, giving a testimony of faith or something. Basically a pitch for RCIA.

Another 60-something lapel pin nun doing foot washing on Holy Thursday.

A small army of EMHCs receive their hosts and then eat it simultaneously when the priest eats his.

A large army of EMHCs stand patiently until they receive the Body of Christ, then rush over to the altar to grab a chalice and self-communicate.