What is the worst liturgical abuse you have seen personally?
I think for me it would have to be abuses at Papal Masses.

Given that the Church is a hierarchy and polluted water flows downhill, I'd reckon that a smaller abuse carried out or not corrected by a Pope (which implies he accepts it as OK) does far more damage than the most out there mess at a parish level.

A Pope giving Communion to protestants for example or letting pro-abortion politicians receive communion at their Papal masses (Kennedy) implies that abortion is not something they will come down hard on Catholics for.  Whereas, questioning the number of people killed in the camps or the manner of their deaths, seems to be the new sin that cries out to heaven for vengence.

It's hard to see how Joe-Six Pack Catholic would not see having un-PC or even "offensive" historical opinions as a greater sin than aborting his children.
People walking past the Blessed Sacrament that had fallen to the floor, or the Blessed Sacrament that ended up spit out and waded up in a napkin in the bathroom (that one prompted the priest to post a bouncer in the communion line). EMs blessing people, or the one with the cleavage in your face (that one made me even more irritated because my 11 yo son was with me), women in the foot washing ceremony, or--i don't know if this was an abuse, but it was annoying--the Agnus Dei more resembling a hoedown tune than anything else. How can you strike your chest when you're tapping your toes? It can't be done. Or the one time I went to Mass with my cousin at her parish and when I walked in I had to ask her where the tabernacle was. All I was looking at directly up the aisle was the priest's chair. Ecce Homo, eh?

Personally, I think the worst liturgical abuses have to do with lack of reverence of the Eucharist by priests and EMs, and thankfully my husband's parish priest put in some reforms in that department, at least he's recognized the problem. My family still goes to Mass separately though--him with most of the kids to the NO, and me and the oldest going to a TLM. It's sad.
(05-10-2010, 08:34 AM)ResiduumRevertetur Wrote: Personally, I think the worst liturgical abuses have to do with lack of reverence of the Eucharist by priests and EMs, and thankfully my husband's parish priest put in some reforms in that department, at least he's recognized the problem. My family still goes to Mass separately though--him with most of the kids to the NO, and me and the oldest going to a TLM. It's sad.

Sounds like the setup I'll be dealing with if I ever get married in the future, instead, it will be me going to TLM!! sad That is why we must pray really hard every day for the end of the NO. Pray
Liturgical abuses at papal ceremonies are particularly egregious.
I guess I've witnessed several, but one that always comes to mind is an elderly priest gave a particularly confused and confusing sermon (presumably due to his age, and he fumbled his notes) at a NO liberal parish.  Afterwards, he was jokingly apologizing to some people about his confused sermon, and they said, "but that's what we loved about it!!"  That's modernism for you.
The NO Mass is in itself an abuse, an abuse of ecclesiastical power and an abuse of trust.
(05-10-2010, 10:14 AM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: The NO Mass is in itself an abuse, an abuse of ecclesiastical power and an abuse of trust.

Well, it was conceived in abuse.  Litugical innovators of the early 20th Century often engaged in liturgical abuses like Communion in the Hand, Mass said versus populum, diaphonous chalices, Mass without proper vestments and dialogue Masses.

It used to be a mortal sin to break the rubriks.  These innovators were committing mortal sins by breaking the rubriks, men like Dom Beauduin and Virgil Michel.  So, it's hard to see that somethng which was conceived in mortal sin, as many of the liturgial reforms were, could be anything but bad.

Of course, to be fair, these were innovations later appended to the reform, none of these things, except for diaologue Mass, was called for by the reform.
JonW, hopefully they were just being nice to an old man.

I've just seen you run-of-the-mill problems like the army of EMHCs and priests "riffing" with extra commentary during Mass. I don't think that bad homilies, music and the EHMC army is a liturgical abuse, strictly speaking. Bad decisions about Mass, perhaps. But not liturgical abuse.

I remember a Midnight Mass as a kid where the altar boys all wore black tuxeudos with red bowties instead of choir dress. Oh 80's, you had so many bad decisions!
Even the "dialogue Mass", whilst permitted before the Council, was infested with the spirit of novelty and revolution.

The NO Mass is an abuse of faith on its own, a "striking departure from the Catholic theology of the Mass as it was formulated in Session XXII of the Council of Trent". It must be destroyed and it will be destroyed in God's time, along with the new Church.
(05-10-2010, 10:30 AM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: JonW, hopefully they were just being nice to an old man.

I've just seen you run-of-the-mill problems like the army of EMHCs and priests "riffing" with extra commentary during Mass. I don't think that bad homilies, music and the EHMC army is a liturgical abuse, strictly speaking. Bad decisions about Mass, perhaps. But not liturgical abuse.

I remember a Midnight Mass as a kid where the altar boys all wore black tuxeudos with red bowties instead of choir dress. Oh 80's, you had so many bad decisions!

Have you actually read the rubrics?