What is the worst liturgical abuse you have seen personally?
(05-10-2010, 07:30 PM)BlessedMotherPrayforUs Wrote: What is the point of these post?  I read them and feel sorry for you who are writing them.  Pray instead of falling into conversations like this that have no good purpose.

Well then you can also say, what is the point FE Traditional Catholic Forum then?? Or what is the point of "Catholic News, Discussion, History & Culture"?  We mine as well shut down the internet and the Forums as well! ...Just saying! ???

Perhaps the title of this thread should have been "Evidence that it is much easier to abuse the Novus Ordo mass then it is to abuse the TLM."
(05-10-2010, 07:30 PM)BlessedMotherPrayforUs Wrote: What is the point of these post?  I read them and feel sorry for you who are writing them.  Does it make you feel better to gossip and raise yourself to a place that you feel is better than others.  We see abuses and because we love Our Lord we cherish the TLM or find a NO that is not doing these things.  A post like this is not bringing about any good,.  It is just basking in telling faults without any good reason to do so.  Pray instead of falling into conversations like this that have no good purpose.

Someone in another thread cast doubt on the reality of widespread liturgical abuse.  This person thought that few people had personal experiences of it.  I thought that starting this thread would be a good way to discover the truth.  I had no intention of committing the sins of gossip and self-righteousness and I am very sorry if I have done so.
(05-10-2010, 07:30 PM)BlessedMotherPrayforUs Wrote: What is the point of these post?  I read them and feel sorry for you who are writing them.  Does it make you feel better to gossip and raise yourself to a place that you feel is better than others.  We see abuses and because we love Our Lord we cherish the TLM or find a NO that is not doing these things.  A post like this is not bringing about any good,.  It is just basking in telling faults without any good reason to do so.  Pray instead of falling into conversations like this that have no good purpose.

How is anyone gossiping?  Do you have a different definition of it than I do. because I just don't see it.
Well maybe gossip is not the word I should of used, but I just don't see how conversations like this thread is bringing about a good purpose.  Prayer is most needed not telling eachother of the abuse and having the next person to post top the one before with the worst liturgical abuse you have personally seen.

Sacred Heart of Jesus, have mercy on us.
Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us.
Anyway in college at the Newman Center I was at a Mass where the Priest allowed the students to read the gospel and then he gave a sermon usually about some wisdom from some ancient buddhist guru then during the consecration the students would gather around him and say the Eucharistic prayer with him then they would all break off a piece of the bread(he used the unleavened bread stuff that looks like a moldy hamburger bun)
(05-10-2010, 09:16 PM)BlessedMotherPrayforUs Wrote: Well maybe gossip is not the word I should of used, but I just don't see how conversations like this thread is bringing about a good purpose.  Prayer is most needed not telling eachother of the abuse and having the next person to post top the one before with the worst liturgical abuse you have personally seen.

Sacred Heart of Jesus, have mercy on us.
Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us.

Oh God, chasten and humble Thou the enemies of Your Church.
One thing this thread is making me realize is just how much liturgical abuse I have been part of.   And sometimes it was more than simply witnessing abuses, but actually participating in them.  The case that I described as the worse abuse was subjectively the worst because it upset me the most, but I was immersed in liturgical abuses from my first exposure to Catholicism.  It just all seemed normal to me.  I was too ignorant to know it was wrong.  

Now that I understand, should I be confessing these things?  Or does the fact that I did them in ignorance mean they don't need to be confessed?
(05-10-2010, 09:39 PM)JayneK Wrote: One thing this thread is making me realize is just how much liturgical abuse I have been part of.   And sometimes it was more than simply witnessing abuses, but actually participating in them.  The case that I described as the worse abuse was subjectively the worst because it upset me the most, but I was immersed in liturgical abuses from my first exposure to Catholicism.  It just all seemed normal to me.  I was too ignorant to know it was wrong.  

Now that I understand, should I be confessing these things?  Or does the fact that I did them in ignorance mean they don't need to be confessed?

Committed in ignorance, unless you were possessed of some spirit of pride and vanity while you were doing it., that's a temptation even fore someone not violating the rubrics.
The thread is also educative for some of us.  It's not gossip if we're not naming names.  Moreover, it is not done in a spirit of pride (I hope) or with the intention of belittling people.  When you go through something like that it is very cathartic (yes, to pray first) to assimilate it; part of doing that is talking about it.  And in this way we also ingratiate ourselves into true and proper liturgical worship.  The more we learn about why we worship the way we do, the closer we get to God.  Knowing what to avoid and why is a crucial part of that, and sharing experiences is a crucial part of that.
Actually, reading this post has made me realize just how much I didn't know was wrong with the way I was worshipping....  for years as a teen I wanted to get away from my parents Ukrainian Catholic parish, which seemed so out dated, old fashioned and too fire and brimstone... I started going to the local NO parish with my friends, joined the CYO, went to 'Bible Study'... thought it was so cool to go to a church that put more emphasis on feeling Gods love rather than on adhering to strict rules on fasting, confession, final judgement, etc. etc.  ...  When I went to college, my friends and I went to the Newman house and hung out with the priest at the Sunday afternoon keg parties he used to throw... we took commuion in our hands from Eucharistic Ministers/friends who in many  cases were at the same Frat parties we were the night before... in fact, we signed up to serve at the altar,  sinful as it was, to be near some cute guys who were handing out Communion.    The Host that was used was the most delicious sweet, chewy, granola=type cookies... my friends and I used to wonder if Father John would give us the recipie.....  one night during Mass in the rectory basement/chapel, Father ran out of Host, sent someone upstairs, and he used slices of wonder bread torn into bits for us....      my point being.... at no time during any of this did I ever in a million years think I was sinning, or that the Masses I had attended were somehow less than 'official'.  Quite the contrary... I thought I was praising and worshipping God in my own, personal, individual way and that He loved me for it.    Its not til now, at the age of 43, thanks to so many of you on FE that I have learned just how far astray I was from the One True Faith.