Austin City Theater Depicts Mary as a Lesbian - help protest!
(05-12-2010, 02:49 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: Burn the theatre to the ground. That would send a clear message.

That would certainly show them that somebody's paying attention.
(05-12-2010, 01:49 PM)Augstine Baker Wrote: Seems too that ridiculing someone's sincere outrage at an offense against Our Lord's Mother doesn't just boarder on contumely, it crosses over to lukewarmness and acedia.

Oh, you're right. In my defense I only offer what I explicitly said: which was that I was offended, and that I find the idea of depicting the BVM as a lesbian gratuitous and ineffective for shock, not that (whoever)'s sincere outrage is ridiculous.

I am well rebuked. I am, by all means, all of what you said and worse - a disgrace to the faith. Know what's wrong with the Catholic Church? Me.
(05-12-2010, 03:38 PM)ardens Wrote:
(05-12-2010, 01:49 PM)Augstine Baker Wrote: Seems too that ridiculing someone's sincere outrage at an offense against Our Lord's Mother doesn't just boarder on contumely, it crosses over to lukewarmness and acedia.

Oh, you're right. In my defense I only offer what I explicitly said: which was that I was offended, and that I find the idea of depicting the BVM as a lesbian gratuitous and ineffective for shock, not that (whoever)'s sincere outrage is ridiculous.

I am well rebuked. I am, by all means, all of what you said and worse - a disgrace to the faith. Know what's wrong with the Catholic Church? Me.

Humility.  It's like water in the desert.  I should practice it sometimes.
(05-12-2010, 02:59 AM)ardens Wrote: Honestly now, I was expressing mild disbelief and lack of interest at the absurdity of whatever group this is portraying the BVM as a lesbian. LOLWUT is appropriate because only a very few Catholics are going to give a rat's ass; if gay playwrights really wanted to piss off the normal people, they could portray Sarah Palin as a lesbian.  Talk about a sacred cow.

Doesn't mean I'm not offended - but I can't really get up a good head of steam, since it's both obvious and gratuitous.    This could damage the faith only with the most boorish and committed of unhappy gay high schoolers. Something with a little more bite to it, or spreading some subtle lies about the Catholic faith would probably piss me off more. Don't get me started on Dogma. Or the whole Dan Brown thing.

But what part of offending the Blessed Virgin Mary is not something to be enraged about?
(05-12-2010, 04:18 PM)INPEFESS Wrote: But what part of offending the Blessed Virgin Mary is not something to be enraged about?

This is absolutely true.

I gather what ardens was saying is that the only people watching this stuff is likely to be the same kind of impotent, spoiled liberal suburbanite brats that made the play in the first place.
(05-12-2010, 04:24 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote:
(05-12-2010, 04:18 PM)INPEFESS Wrote: But what part of offending the Blessed Virgin Mary is not something to be enraged about?

This is absolutely true.

I gather what ardens was saying is that the only people watching this stuff is likely to be the same kind of impotent, spoiled liberal suburbanite brats that made the play in the first place.

Yes, I understand what he is saying. He was looking at a different aspect of it than the rest of us, probably, and I realized after I had posted that he had already apologized.
(05-12-2010, 02:49 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: Burn the theatre to the ground. That would send a clear message.
Umm.. no, that would be arson.

Buy it, THEN burn it to the ground.  Then bring in a priest to exorcise the ground it stood on before building something else there...

That would send a clear message.
(05-12-2010, 12:27 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote:
(05-12-2010, 12:17 PM)Stephanos Wrote: "lolwut"?  That's not a real word.  What is it with this juvenile Internet jargon?

To be fair, if it's understandable, it can be used as a word. Many literary greats such as Chaucer and Shakespeare made up new words routinely.

Shakespeare made up an entirely language...English.

(05-12-2010, 02:04 PM)Stephanos Wrote:
(05-12-2010, 12:27 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote:
(05-12-2010, 12:17 PM)Stephanos Wrote: "lolwut"?  That's not a real word.  What is it with this juvenile Internet jargon?

To be fair, if it's understandable, it can be used as a word. Many literary greats such as Chaucer and Shakespeare made up new words routinely.

Of course you're right, HK.  And I realize many new words have entered English through the developments of the "Information Age".

However, I personally loathe all this postmodern Internet slang (e.g. OMG, LOL, ZOMGROFLMAO, or whatever).  It seems to me to effect a dumbing-down of the way people speak, with the help of the typical pop-culture buzzwords of course.

I loathe the acronyms based on laziness (btw, ppl, ur), but some take on a meaning by itself. LOL for example, when used properly, does not actually mean "laughing out loud" but a general display of amusement or mirth. Also, many can be used for humour in their own sake (with full awareness of how "uneducated" they are). Although, most of the one's I use are for specific environments, not the ones people would normally use.