human/animal hybrids
in the event that this is still just a hypothetical scenario, if scientists created a being that was hybridized from human dna and some other dna, animal, plant, whatever, what would be the state of its soul?  has the church defined enough about original sin, what makes a soul rational, etc., that we could know if such a being was in need of baptism, could receive baptism, etc.?  like, there wouldn't be some intermediary gray area where it was human enough to be stained by original sin but not human enough to receive baptism, and so forever excluded from heaven, right?  even if there is no grey area, does something only have original sin if it is fully human, if it is half human, or would it still have original sin if only the tiniest individual particle of it were human?
"Et homo factus est." Christ, Our Lord and Redeemer, whilst being God, was also a real man, born of a real woman, and died for our (men's) sins.

By definition, any hypothetical hybrid is not a man and thus it has no rational immortal soul and it is excluded from Heaven.
I believe anything that has a rational soul must either be free of original sin to start with, or must have it and also have the capability to be redeemed. The only case of being "human enough to be stained by original sin but not human enough to receive baptism" I can think of is vampires, but.... well, you know. Interesting fiction, but ridiculous to talk about in real theology.
Such things exist: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humster

We were just talking about "cow babies" in my ethics class yesterday: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/6121280.stm

Quote:The problem is that human eggs for research are in short supply and to obtain them women have to undergo surgery.

That is why scientists want to use cows' eggs as a substitute.

They would insert human DNA into a cow's egg which has had its genetic material removed, and then create an embryo by the same technique that produced Dolly the Sheep.

The resulting embryo would be 99.9% human; the only bovine element would be DNA outside the nucleus of the cell.
(05-13-2010, 02:20 PM)Vivace Wrote: We were just talking about "cow babies" in my ethics class yesterday: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/6121280.stm

Quote:The problem is that human eggs for research are in short supply and to obtain them women have to undergo surgery.

That is why scientists want to use cows' eggs as a substitute.

They would insert human DNA into a cow's egg which has had its genetic material removed, and then create an embryo by the same technique that produced Dolly the Sheep.

The resulting embryo would be 99.9% human; the only bovine element would be DNA outside the nucleus of the cell.

God grant us chastisement!
What's worse is that no one in my class could understand what the big dilemma was, and I'm in the supposed "Bible Belt" of Canada.
(05-13-2010, 02:33 PM)Vivace Wrote: What's worse is that no one in my class could understand what the big dilemma was, and I'm in the supposed "Bible Belt" of Canada.

It's not just the faith but also the minds that have been corrupted nowadays. It's difficult for someone who educates himself with the modern conceptions of liberty, individualism and progressivism to grasp the true causes of our current ailments and the accurate answers to them that God provides.

It's all a big deception that we're living in. Only a contrite and humble heart can effectively answer God's graces to see the truth.
(05-13-2010, 02:39 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:
(05-13-2010, 02:33 PM)Vivace Wrote: What's worse is that no one in my class could understand what the big dilemma was, and I'm in the supposed "Bible Belt" of Canada.

It's not just the faith but also the minds that have been corrupted nowadays. It's difficult for someone who educates himself with the modern conceptions of liberty, individualism and progressivism to grasp the true causes of our current ailments and the accurate answers to them that God provides.

It's all a big deception that we're living in. Only a contrite and humble heart can effectively answer God's graces to see the truth.

Good points.

The OP's original question is interesting, though. If this cow/human hybrid is 99.9% human, does it still have a soul?
(05-13-2010, 02:45 PM)Vivace Wrote: The OP's original question is interesting, though. If this cow/human hybrid is 99.9% human, does it still have a soul?

By definition a hybrid is not a human being.