Why the propitiatory nature of the Mass is important
In spite of what the new Mass might lead one to think, the theology of the Catholic Church did not change on this subject.  The Catechism of the Catholic Church says:
Quote:1365 Because it is the memorial of Christ's Passover, the Eucharist is also a sacrifice. The sacrificial character of the Eucharist is manifested in the very words of institution: "This is my body which is given for you" and "This cup which is poured out for you is the New Covenant in my blood."187 In the Eucharist Christ gives us the very body which he gave up for us on the cross, the very blood which he "poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins."188

1366 The Eucharist is thus a sacrifice because it re-presents (makes present) the sacrifice of the cross, because it is its memorial and because it applies its fruit:

[Christ], our Lord and God, was once and for all to offer himself to God the Father by his death on the altar of the cross, to accomplish there an everlasting redemption. But because his priesthood was not to end with his death, at the Last Supper "on the night when he was betrayed," [he wanted] to leave to his beloved spouse the Church a visible sacrifice (as the nature of man demands) by which the bloody sacrifice which he was to accomplish once for all on the cross would be re-presented, its memory perpetuated until the end of the world, and its salutary power be applied to the forgiveness of the sins we daily commit.189

1367 The sacrifice of Christ and the sacrifice of the Eucharist are one single sacrifice: "The victim is one and the same: the same now offers through the ministry of priests, who then offered himself on the cross; only the manner of offering is different." "And since in this divine sacrifice which is celebrated in the Mass, the same Christ who offered himself once in a bloody manner on the altar of the cross is contained and is offered in an unbloody manner. . . this sacrifice is truly propitiatory."190

During the Mass, the priest in persona Christi  offers the Body and Blood of Christ.  God has provided for us the perfect Priest offering the perfect Victim.  During the Mass, the Sacrifice of the Cross is made present and has salutary power.  And this doctrine, this central doctrine, which is still the teaching of Catholic Church, is not presented as clearly in the new Mass as it was in the TLM.  This is a serious flaw, probably the most serious problem with the new Mass.

The CCC describes the Eucharist thus:
Quote:1324 The Eucharist is "the source and summit of the Christian life."136 "The other sacraments, and indeed all ecclesiastical ministries and works of the apostolate, are bound up with the Eucharist and are oriented toward it. For in the blessed Eucharist is contained the whole spiritual good of the Church, namely Christ himself, our Pasch."137

1325 "The Eucharist is the efficacious sign and sublime cause of that communion in the divine life and that unity of the People of God by which the Church is kept in being. It is the culmination both of God's action sanctifying the world in Christ and of the worship men offer to Christ and through him to the Father in the Holy Spirit."138

1326 Finally, by the Eucharistic celebration we already unite ourselves with the heavenly liturgy and anticipate eternal life, when God will be all in all.139

1327 In brief, the Eucharist is the sum and summary of our faith: "Our way of thinking is attuned to the Eucharist, and the Eucharist in turn confirms our way of thinking."140

To make changes in our understanding of "the source and summit of the Christian life" has enormous implications.  As the CCC says, the whole spiritual good of the Church is bound up with the Eucharist.  This is not some trivial quibbling over words.
Luther suppressed the Offertory;  Why offer the pure and Immaculate Host if there is no more sacrifice? In the French Novus Ordo the Offertory is practically non-existent; besides which it no longer has this name.  The New Sunday Missal speaks of the “prayers of presentation.” The formula used reminds one more of a thanksgiving,  a thank-you,  for the fruits of the earth.  To realize this fully, it is sufficient to compare it with the formulas traditionally used by the  Church in which clearly appears the propitiatory and expiatory nature of the Sacrifice “which I offer Thee for my innumerable sins, offenses and negligences, for all those here  present and for all Christians living and dead, that it may avail for my salvation and theirs for eternal life.” Raising  the chalice, the priest then says, “We offer Thee, Lord, the chalice of Thy redemption, imploring Thy goodness to accept it like a sweet perfume into the presence of  Thy divine Majesty for our salvation and that of the whole world.”

What remains of that in the New Mass? This: “Blessed  are You, Lord, God of the universe,  You who give us this bread, fruit of the earth and work of human hands.  We offer it to You; it will become the bread of life,” and the same for the wine which will become “our spiritual drink.”  What purpose is served by adding, a little further on: “Wash me of my faults, Lord. Purify me of my sin,” and “may our sacrifice today find grace before You”? Which sin? Which sacrifice? What connection can the faithful make between this vague presentation of the offerings and the redemption that he is looking forward to? I will ask another question:  Why substitute for a text that is clear and whose meaning is complete, a series of enigmatic and loosely bound phrases? If a need is found for change, it should be for something better. These incidental phrases which seem to make up for the insufficiency of the “prayers of presentation” remind us of Luther, who was at pains to arrange the changes with caution. He retained as much as possible of the old ceremonies, limiting himself to changing their meaning.

From "Open Letter to Confused Catholics"
Great quote, Stubborn.  The inadequacy of the new Mass for expressing this doctrine is undeniable.  And yet, as the CCC quote shows, the official teaching of the Church has not been changed.  This leaves me hopeful that the liturgy can be brought back into greater conformity with the doctrine.
(05-15-2010, 08:50 PM)JayneK Wrote: Great quote, Stubborn.  The inadequacy of the new Mass for expressing this doctrine is undeniable.  And yet, as the CCC quote shows, the official teaching of the Church has not been changed.  This leaves me hopeful that the liturgy can be brought back into greater conformity with the doctrine.

Typical of the NO is for it to say one thing, all the while purposely doing the opposite.

That is the way it has always been since it's invention.