Is God a hypocrite?
This is my question. Christ is God, all that Christ says God says and there is no conflict between the two. Together with the Holy Ghost they form the trinity. In the gospels we find Jesus (God) saying this:

Luke 6:27-36

[27] "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, [28] bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. [29] If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. [30] Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. [31] Do to others as you would have them do to you.

[32] "If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' love those who love them. [33] And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' do that. [34] And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' lend to 'sinners,' expecting to be repaid in full. [35] But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. [36] Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.

Yet we know from the old testament that God didn't always love his enemies. He killed the first borns of Egypt, he struck dead Cain, turned people into salt, drowned an Egyptian army etc. We also know that even today God does not do good to His enemies, he sends those who are in mortal sin (thus have set themselves up against God) to suffer in Hell for all eternity. So what's the answer to this?
I think that it is important to consider the differences between the cases of offense vs. God and offense vs. man. When one sins against God, he sins against perfection and shuns the perfect love of God. When one sins against man, he surely commits wrong, but often that wrong is directed against the temporal issues of man, i.e. money or power or perhaps even perceived sins committed by the person being sinned against.

When we are told to turn the other cheek it is because we too are sinners and not fit to judge others. When the Lord chooses to strike down a sinner, he does so in an act of perfect judgment. Only He is in a place to judge us. It is not hypocrisy as His actions are consistent with His words. "You judge according to the flesh, I judge no one. Yet even if I do judge, my judgment is true, for it is not I alone who judge, but I and He who sent me." John 8:15-16

In fact, hypocrisy is mentioned in Matthew 7:5, "You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye." Since God is without sin, it is no way contradictory for Him to judge the sin of man.
(05-18-2010, 12:00 PM)Prier Wrote: Yet we know from the old testament that God didn't always love his enemies. He killed the first borns of Egypt, he struck dead Cain, turned people into salt, drowned an Egyptian army etc. We also know that even today God does not do good to His enemies, he sends those who are in mortal sin (thus have set themselves up against God) to suffer in Hell for all eternity. So what's the answer to this?

http://rosary.freehostia.com/index.php?p=articles&article=wrathofgod

The answer is perfect justice.

And what do you mean "God didn't always love his enemies"? His enemies are those who rejected him, and he gave them exactly what they wanted.

He struck dead Cain? Really? He spared his life.

Genesis 4 Wrote:And the Lord said to him: No, it shall not be so: but whosoever shall kill Cain, shall be punished sevenfold. And the Lord set a mark upon Cain, that whosoever found him should not kill him.

He does good to his enemies; his enemies cannot bear good.

The temporal punishments of God (including even temporal death) are out of love and justice--just as any good father punishes his children who stray. Scripture explains this:

Quote:Heb. 12:4 For you have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin: 5 And you have forgotten the consolation, which speaketh to you, as unto children, saying: My son, neglect not the discipline of the Lord; neither be thou wearied whilst thou art rebuked by him. 6 For whom the Lord loveth, he chastiseth; and he scourgeth every son whom he receiveth. 7 Persevere under discipline. God dealeth with you as with his sons; for what son is there, whom the father doth not correct? 8 But if you be without chastisement, whereof all are made partakers, then are you bastards, and not sons. 9 Moreover we have had fathers of our flesh, for instructors, and we reverenced them: shall we not much more obey the Father of spirits, and live? 10 And they indeed for a few days, according to their own pleasure, instructed us: but he, for our profit, that we might receive his sanctification. 11 Now all chastisement for the present indeed seemeth not to bring with it joy, but sorrow: but afterwards it will yield, to them that are exercised by it, the most peaceable fruit of justice.

As for eternal punishment, that is a result of rejecting God's love. God doesn't send us to Hell for simply the mortal sin--He will forgive any sin, no matter how terrible--but rather for the sin and the obstinant irrepentence of it. Love cannot be imposed. God seeks to coax us to Himself--and He is love--through consolations and temporal punishments but ultimately love must be received freely. Those who choose their own sins over the love of God are left with them and the torments they cause.
(05-18-2010, 12:00 PM)Prier Wrote: Yet we know from the old testament that God didn't always love his enemies. He killed the first borns of Egypt, he struck dead Cain, turned people into salt, drowned an Egyptian army etc. We also know that even today God does not do good to His enemies, he sends those who are in mortal sin (thus have set themselves up against God) to suffer in Hell for all eternity. So what's the answer to this?

In addition to what other posters have said, the justice with which we are to show one another is quite different than what God owes to us in justice; strictly speaking, He owes us nothing (our lives are gifts from Him), but because He has promised eternal life to those who love Him and obey His laws, He is bound to reward such people with eternal life.

As for God loving or hating people, particularly His enemies, it must be said that God loves all those who exist, because He wills their existence. It is right for Him, however, to hate iniquity and punish wicked men, and it is also His prerogative to be merciful towards sinners. And the eternity of hell is just as well as respectful towards man's free will.

We, His creatures, must love our neighbors because they too are creatures of God and are called to be His children. The fact that we are creatures of God, possessing a rational and immortal soul is, I think, the chief reason why we owe one another love (and it is or can be a reflection of our love for God).
I think some of this was Jewish manipulations...

'Wherefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith; Not giving heed to Jewish fables,  and commandments of men, that turn from the truth." (Titus 1)

That fables had been concocted is evident from II Peter 1:16, in which the Apostle states,
"For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty."
(05-18-2010, 07:55 PM)StSimonTrent Wrote: I think some of this was Jewish manipulations...

'Wherefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith; Not giving heed to Jewish fables,  and commandments of men, that turn from the truth." (Titus 1)

That fables had been concocted is evident from II Peter 1:16, in which the Apostle states,
"For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty."

Knock it off, and you know what I mean.