What the Hell's wrong with the USCCB?: USCCB supports Kagan
My short answer to the question: lots of things.
The USCCB shouldn't endorse any organizations except for essential Catholic institutions which are, of course, completely in line with the Church's mission on earth. Some groups which the USCCB endorses may be decent (then again, we ARE talking about the USCCB here, so maybe not) but having a policy which stays away from secular groups will save face in the long run.

If I were Pope, I would dissolve the USCCB and create a new national council headed by the Archbishop of Baltimore and six other archbishops that I trust.
(05-19-2010, 11:17 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: If I were Pope, I would dissolve the USCCB and create a new national council headed by the Archbishop of Baltimore and six other archbishops that I trust.

It's a 'temporary' solution though-- what happens with the 7 Abps under the next Pope? What is we have another naive Paul VI who appoints heretical Abps. Really, there is no need for this 'collegiality' nonsense at all. We don't need any kind of council period-- the bishops answer to Rome, period and they should generally look to the throne of Peter for guidance, and not go 'declaring' things.
(05-19-2010, 11:45 PM)Iuvenalis Wrote: It's a 'temporary' solution though-- what happens with the 7 Abps under the next Pope? What is we have another naive Paul VI who appoints heretical Abps. Really, there is no need for this 'collegiality' nonsense at all. We don't need any kind of council period-- the bishops answer to Rome, period and they should generally look to the throne of Peter for guidance, and not go 'declaring' things.

What I was suggesting wasn't collegiality, but a chain of command which leads in an obvious pyramid to the Pope, just like a smooth-running military. Getting rid of the middleman entirely, in my opinion, wouldn't work. The Pope can't manage each bishop individually, but if he's not afraid to actually exercise his office, he can easily manage a number of national councils. Establish a primate (like the historical Archbishop of Canterbury) and a number of other influential bishops, and decisions can trickle down more quickly than the other methods (no middleman, or the bloated, limp-wristed bureaucracy that is the USCCB).
Well, this is a good thing!

U.S. Bishops Withdraw from Pro-Abortion, Homosexualist Civil Rights Coalition

WASHINGTON, D.C., May 19, 2010 (LifeSiteNews.com) - The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) has pulled out of the Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights, a coalition that lobbies against pro-life and pro-family legislation and boasts top pro-abortion and homosexualist groups among its members.

http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2010/may/10051910.html
The USCCB is the semi religious wing of the Democratic party.
(05-20-2010, 12:05 AM)Fractus Wrote: Well, this is a good thing!

U.S. Bishops Withdraw from Pro-Abortion, Homosexualist Civil Rights Coalition

WASHINGTON, D.C., May 19, 2010 (LifeSiteNews.com) - The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) has pulled out of the Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights, a coalition that lobbies against pro-life and pro-family legislation and boasts top pro-abortion and homosexualist groups among its members.

http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2010/may/10051910.html

I guess it's good news-- of course it brings up the whole question of what were they doing in such a coalition to begin with?!
(05-20-2010, 12:33 AM)Iuvenalis Wrote: I guess it's good news-- of course it brings up the whole question of what were they doing in such a coalition to begin with?!
Easy. The Bishops are at home, taking care of things, leaving the lay staffers in charge of the USCCB. Liberal-leaning social-justice types tend to gravitate toward non-profits where they can make policies. Hey, it beats getting a job and being productive!

Aside from settling on things like Holy Days of Obligation, I don't recall seeing anything much in church documents that is supposed to be done by national conferences. They have no authority over individual Bishops.   
Glenn Beck is right. He said the radical left has infiltrated the Catholic Church. He said there is a battle within the Church (something that is not news to any of us) and the battle is between the progressives and the people who take their religion seriously. He said a lot of Bishops probably don't even know what's going on because they are so blind. It's kind of comical that a Mormon knows more about what's going on in the Church then it's leaders do.

(05-20-2010, 01:48 AM)Petertherock Wrote: Glenn Beck is right. He said the radical left has infiltrated the Catholic Church. He said there is a battle within the Church (something that is not news to any of us) and the battle is between the progressives and the people who take their religion seriously. He said a lot of Bishops probably don't even know what's going on because they are so blind. It's kind of comical that a Mormon knows more about what's going on in the Church then it's leaders do.

I'm going to pray for you, probably more than once.  :pray2: