Uganda Criminalizes Homosexuality
Me too.  And prison sentences should be relatively short and very ugly.  Rob a bank.  Spend a year in prison getting the crap kicked out of you after 10 lashes with salt water.
(05-20-2010, 10:07 AM)James02 Wrote: Me too.  And prison sentences should be relatively short and very ugly.  Rob a bank.  Spend a year in prison getting the crap kicked out of you after 10 lashes with salt water.

In a truly just society, capital punishment would also be brought back for rape and armed robbery, as it used to be in the US and nearly all other countries.  Lengthly prison terms with their emphasis on 'rehabilitation' is a Quaker concept.
(05-20-2010, 09:55 AM)Jesse Wrote:
(05-20-2010, 09:40 AM)AlanF Wrote:
BBC Wrote:In Uganda, plans to introduce draconian new laws against homosexuality look likely to go ahead despite mass protests, a major petition, and condemnation from the international community.

The bill, which proposes the death penalty for so-called 'serial offenders', has already been described as 'odious' by President Obama.

A senior minister in Kampala has suggested that the death penalty could be replaced with life imprisonment.

John Simpson reports from Kampala.

Excellent "impartial" reporting from the BBC again... ::)

I say good on Uganda! It's nice to see al least one country going in the right direction.

The death penalty for sodomy IS draconian.  It's one thing to condemn homosexuality, it's quite another to kill homosexuals.  This is not a country "going in the right direction," especially since the law requires friends and family members to turn in homosexuals or be subject to prosecution themselves.  This is a country that is swinging to the opposite extreme in response to homosexuality.  Consensual crimes should never be capital.

I have feeling this thread might deteriorate.  Let's try to to keep it sane and within the forum rules.

Pax,
Jesse

I disagree, civilised societies should have an absolute disgust for sodomy. Hisorically, european countries had the death penalty for it, here in Britain, buggery carried the death penalty until 1861. I think a return to these laws would be a good idea.

(05-20-2010, 10:00 AM)Robert De Brus Wrote:
(05-20-2010, 09:55 AM)Jesse Wrote: Consensual crimes should never be capital.

Maybe corporal?  I wouldnt mind a return of corporal punishment, in all seriousness.

I agree, not necessarily for buggery, though. The Isle of Man used birching for juvenile delinquents (and possibly for buggery) until quite recently.
We don't seem to be making a distinction here between being arrested for what you ARE versus being arrested for what you DO.  Like "hate the sin, not the sinner"?

Are we talking about a criminalization of being homosexual or a criminalization for engaging in homosexual activity?

I'll assume for purposes of discussion we are talking about activity.  So the question is, is capital punishment proportional to the offense?  I'd argue not - why take a life if no life was taken?

Society certainly can - indeed, must - enshrine in law its approval or disapproval of certain actions, with incentives or punishments that indicate the seriousness of the said actions.

Granted that male homosexual activity is 1) generally repulsive at an emotional level and 2) in direct contradiction of Catholic teaching. But what aspect of homosexual activity is it that has so many of you in agreement that death is the only suitable chastisement?
Better to execute these perverts than to let them run amock like we do in the "civilized" west. Look how insensitive we have become to this perversion, even amongst catholics, it's sick!

I'm glad for Uganda. It's a step in the right direction.
The death penalty for sodomy has frequently been used in Christian countries. 
(05-20-2010, 09:42 AM)Robert De Brus Wrote:
(05-20-2010, 07:13 AM)James02 Wrote: They just found a lot of oil also.  If they have an SSPX chapel, what would be a great place to live.  They have a sizable Catholic population, but I would imagine that it is pretty charismatic.  Don't know.

I believe it has a large Anglican population, but with the recent Anglican agreement perhaps some can be put into the Catholic fold.

My only question is - do we really think the death penalty is appropriate?  Even our old anti-sodomy laws were never that harsh.

Typical media bias.  The Death Penalty was never seriously on the cards.

The death penalty for sodomy IS draconian.  It's one thing to condemn homosexuality, it's quite another to kill homosexuals.  This is not a country "going in the right direction," especially since the law requires friends and family members to turn in homosexuals or be subject to prosecution themselves.  This is a country that is swinging to the opposite extreme in response to homosexuality.  Consensual crimes should never be capital.

I have feeling this thread might deteriorate.  Let's try to to keep it sane and within the forum rules.

Pax,
Jesse

[/quote]

St. Pius V put to death active homosexuals within the Papal States.

St. Alphonsus Liguori closed the seminaries with homosexuality, fired the professors and told the Seminarians they do NOT have a vocation.

Once a year, the Ugandan marytrs are raised up, 3 young Christian men who refused the offer of homosexuality and instead chose God's will, marytrdom.

It was considered so grevious of a crime and contagious that it was the only available means to stop this plague.

I think they should face corporal punishment and then be educated. Uganda obviously doesn't have a large gay "pride" movement so it should be easier to persuade homosexuals there to live holy lives than it would be in the West. Let's remember that in a lot of these cultures too homosexuality is often about satisfying lust rather than a genuine sexualized emotional attraction between two members of the same sex so maybe if these people are set on the right path they could end up leading perfectly normal lives.
I wonder whether Ugandans are out aborting us in the West.

We have the death penalty for simply being conceived at an inconvenient time.

We are hardly in a position to take the moral high-ground.

Besides as the news item admits, they are not going to include the death penalty on the statute.