Uganda Criminalizes Homosexuality
(05-20-2010, 12:49 PM)ggreg Wrote: Besides as the news item admits, they are not going to include the death penalty on the statute.

They should though.
(05-20-2010, 10:43 AM)DesperatelySeeking Wrote: I'll assume for purposes of discussion we are talking about activity.  So the question is, is capital punishment proportional to the offense?  I'd argue not - why take a life if no life was taken?

I don't think that logic works, the death penalty can be entirely appropriate even when a life wasn't taken. For instance, in Britain, until 1998 the penalty for High Treason and Piracy was death and rightly so, although lives aren't necessarily taken in those crimes, even if they often are in piracy.

I believe that other crimes such as rape and pædophilia sould carry the death penalty, pædophilia even if a child is not actually raped.

In Catholic countries of old, obstinate public heretics could be executed; now, in the crime of spreading heresy lives are not taken, one might even argue that it is "consentual", i.e. that it's victims consent to believe in a heresy, but that's not the point. The point is that it spreads spiritual death and is an all-out attack on Christian civilization.

(05-20-2010, 10:43 AM)DesperatelySeeking Wrote: Granted that male homosexual activity is 1) generally repulsive at an emotional level and 2) in direct contradiction of Catholic teaching. But what aspect of homosexual activity is it that has so many of you in agreement that death is the only suitable chastisement?

Not only is buggery revolting emotionally, it's revolting objectively, it's a sin the cries out to Heaven for vengeance, and when we loosen our stance against it we see the inevitable results right now, their ideology is so ingrained now that we can't even criticize it. It's not just a "consentual crime", it's an ideological crime against civilization.

It's should be absolutely not tolerated.
(05-20-2010, 01:06 PM)AlanF Wrote:
(05-20-2010, 10:43 AM)DesperatelySeeking Wrote: I'll assume for purposes of discussion we are talking about activity.  So the question is, is capital punishment proportional to the offense?  I'd argue not - why take a life if no life was taken?

I don't think that logic works, the death penalty can be entirely appropriate even when a life wasn't taken. For instance, in Britain, until 1998 the penalty for High Treason and Piracy was death and rightly so, although lives aren't necessarily taken in those crimes, even if they often are in piracy.

I believe that other crimes such as rape and pædophilia sould carry the death penalty, pædophilia even if a child is not actually raped.

In Catholic countries of old, obstinate public heretics could be executed; now, in the crime of spreading heresy lives are not taken, one might even argue that it is "consentual", i.e. that it's victims consent to believe in a heresy, but that's not the point. The point is that it spreads spiritual death and is an all-out attack on Christian civilization.

(05-20-2010, 10:43 AM)DesperatelySeeking Wrote: Granted that male homosexual activity is 1) generally repulsive at an emotional level and 2) in direct contradiction of Catholic teaching. But what aspect of homosexual activity is it that has so many of you in agreement that death is the only suitable chastisement?

Not only is buggery revolting emotionally, it's revolting objectively, it's a sin the cries out to Heaven for vengeance, and when we loosen our stance against it we see the inevitable results right now, their ideology is so ingrained now that we can't even criticize it. It's not just a "consentual crime", it's an ideological crime against civilization.

It's should be absolutely not tolerated.

I don't think I offered "consensual" as an excuse or justification.  Nor do I think it is.  Another thing that I didn't say was that homosexual activity was not objectively wrong.

Can you go ahead and explain why the example of Britain's Piracy law applies? 

Can you explain why you believe rape and pedophilia deserve death?  Not that I necessarily disagree, but tell me more than "I believe".  Gimme a little bit more than indignation if you want to persuade.
(05-20-2010, 01:25 PM)DesperatelySeeking Wrote: I don't think I offered "consensual" as an excuse or justification.  Nor do I think it is.

Oops, my apologies, that was Jesse.

(05-20-2010, 01:25 PM)DesperatelySeeking Wrote: Another thing that I didn't say was that homosexual activity was not objectively wrong.

I didn't say you did.

(05-20-2010, 01:25 PM)DesperatelySeeking Wrote: Can you go ahead and explain why the example of Britain's Piracy law applies?

That was to help explain why your logic, that a crime that doesn't involve death does not deserve capital punishment, is false.

(05-20-2010, 01:25 PM)DesperatelySeeking Wrote: Can you explain why you believe rape and pedophilia deserve death?  Not that I necessarily disagree, but tell me more than "I believe".  Gimme a little bit more than indignation if you want to persuade.

Rape and pædophilia for a somewhat different reason to the one I gave for buggery. Rape is not only a sexual sin but a savagely violent attack upon the victim, it can leave them damaged and scarred for life. Pædophilia is that plus more, it completely robs a child of his innocence and can destroy his entire childhood for him; what's more, a pædophile cannot be trusted out in public at all, let alone specifically around children, the only thing to do with him is to execute him.
There is probably a case to be made that if you're an active homosexual and youre just staying in the closet and keeping it within your own home, then maybe no punishment is warranted.  But when you seek to spread or become a notorious homosexual who has many sexual partners, then that should become corporal.  If you are truly deviant and youre spreading around AIDS, thats when it should be stepped up to capital.
[deleted]
I'm going to find a way to invest in these countries, perhaps Microloans through a Charity.  Have to watch that though because often the banks will buy the microfinance company up and exploit the borrowers.  I've got to believe that God ain't going to chastise these people in the same way he chastisizes the Western World.

Malawi, jails a couple of queers for 14 years.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/10130240.stm

I am glad the whole world hasn't bent over to please these perversions.  Africa has gone up in my estimation.
So, the death penalty should be brought in to punish serial, heterosexual adulterers too, right?  Right?  Or is it just for those nasty sodomites?  Sin that cries out to heaven for vengeance?  Are you gonna put to death oppressors of the poor as well?  Defrauders of paying just wages?  If not, then stop dragging out the tired "sin that cries out to heaven" line.  You can't justify your hatred of one sin by saying that it cries out to heaven for vengeance if you're going to remain silent and tolerant of two of the others, and fairly silent on the third.  Personally, if a law like that ever got introduced here, I'd be happy to sit on my front porch with a shot gun and blow any of you hypocrites' brains out if you tried to apply that law against me.  ;D

Thank God rad-trads are in the serious minority. 
(05-21-2010, 07:57 AM)Melkite Wrote: So, the death penalty should be brought in to punish serial, heterosexual adulterers too, right?  Right?  Or is it just for those nasty sodomites?  Sin that cries out to heaven for vengeance?  Are you gonna put to death oppressors of the poor as well?  Defrauders of paying just wages?  If not, then stop dragging out the tired "sin that cries out to heaven" line.  You can't justify your hatred of one sin by saying that it cries out to heaven for vengeance if you're going to remain silent and tolerant of two of the others, and fairly silent on the third.  Personally, if a law like that ever got introduced here, I'd be happy to sit on my front porch with a shot gun and blow any of you hypocrites' brains out if you tried to apply that law against me.  ;D

Thank God rad-trads are in the serious minority. 

Tell me Mel, moral relativist, whats the proper punishment ?
(05-21-2010, 07:57 AM)Melkite Wrote: So, the death penalty should be brought in to punish serial, heterosexual adulterers too, right?  Right?  Or is it just for those nasty sodomites?

They should be illegal, certainly, but not necessarily carry the death penalty, as it's a less serious crime.

(05-21-2010, 07:57 AM)Melkite Wrote: Sin that cries out to heaven for vengeance?  Are you gonna put to death oppressors of the poor as well?  Defrauders of paying just wages?

Yes, ideally, although they could be somewhat harder to define than buggery.

(05-21-2010, 07:57 AM)Melkite Wrote: Personally, if a law like that ever got introduced here, I'd be happy to sit on my front porch with a shot gun and blow any of you hypocrites' brains out if you tried to apply that law against me.

Are you a practicing sodomite, then?