Uganda Criminalizes Homosexuality
(05-22-2010, 09:17 AM)winoblue1 Wrote: There should be laws against the public promotion of sodomy and homosexuality. Not necessarily laws against consensual acts done in private.

This would seem the most practical solution because one cannot easily legislate morality in this area as it is not easy for those affected to control their desires, only the expression of their desires,

Laws should work towards preventing youth from being exposed to homosexuality and from it being promoted in the political and social spheres.

But what a few desperate souls do in their weakness in private should be left between themselves and their confessors and God.

To me this sounds more workable and sustainable in the long run.

I agree.  These days, if someone is keeping it in their bedroom and not flaunting it out on the streets, they are probably already disposed to being remorseful of it, if not already actively repenting on a regular basis.
First Africa and now China.  When the Chinese start appearing more "moral" than the west the Chastisement can only be around the corner.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/22/20100521/tsc...f2b7e.html
death penalty for serial rapists and paedophiles.
Adultery is also objectively repulsive and carried the death penalty under the Old Testament.

Let him who is without sin throw the first stone.
But they are not being stoned to death by a mob.  They are being convicted in a court of law, as I understand it for repeated offences, and then going to prison.  The majority of Ugandan's support this and it is after all a democracy.  If this is against the principle of let him who is without sin cast the first stone then presumably we should never convict any criminal of anything, since we are all sinners.

The parliament of Uganda are not going to pass the death penalty for it.  That is media ex ageration to make the story more spicy.
majority support doesn't make something right.  abortion for example.
(05-24-2010, 08:14 PM)verenaerin Wrote:
(05-24-2010, 08:05 PM)Melkite Wrote: majority support doesn't make something right.  abortion for example.

This statement is confusing. If you are supporting their democracy type gov. then Uganda should be able to make laws that echo the mind of the populace.
Are you saying that imprisoning serial sodomists is wrong? From what authority are you speaking from? Is sodomy not a sin? Ideally shouldn't a society base its laws on God's law?

This brings out the problems inherent in democracy: the majority decides the morality.  And it is quite obvious that the majority is often wrong.  So therefore opposing laws enacted by the majority is not wrong, but in the case of an immoral and unjust law, it is morally correct to oppose such a law.  Civil disobedience is often the only appropriate response to an unjust law.

Pax,
Jesse
(05-24-2010, 09:34 PM)verenaerin Wrote:I agree. But in the case of criminalizing sodomy, does that go against God's law? Taking the death penalty off the table. Is it just to criminalize promotion and practice of homosexuality?

I was speaking about the death penality, because, if I understand the situation correctly, it is the majority opinion in Uganda to impose the death penalty for homosexuality.  It would be just to criminalize sodomy if every other sexual sin were criminalized as well.  That doesn't mean the penalty has to be the same.  Obviously sodomy is more serious than fornication, but if one is going to be illegal they all need to be.
Fail thread. What can be criminalized is sodomy, not homosexuality.
(05-24-2010, 10:28 PM)Melkite Wrote: It would be just to criminalize sodomy if every other sexual sin were criminalized as well.  That doesn't mean the penalty has to be the same.  Obviously sodomy is more serious than fornication, but if one is going to be illegal they all need to be.

There is nothing unjust in criminalizing only sodomy and not fornication. Yes, both should be criminalized, but it cannot be unjust to criminalize an offense against Divine law just because not every other offense is also criminalized.