Altar Boy Garb - Question
Nice photo, Joshua.

I served at the revised Mass as a boy. We had to wear these hooded things which looked like Klan robes. It wasn't until I was on my way out that the most senior served, who were designated as MCs, started wearing cassocks.
(05-23-2010, 05:52 PM)Joshua Wrote: I too sympathize, HK, with the more "gothic" approach, but I think many traditionalists would be irked by the sights of servers in albs and gothic/conical chasubles as they have become so associated with the NO. A pity ...  :(

That picture is simply..... ideal.

Except in my ideal church, I'd lose the Edwardian haircuts and have longer hair, or even beards for the Herr Mannelig types. Short hair is okay if it's a tonsure.

And instead of shiny loafers.... combat boots.
(05-23-2010, 10:57 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote:
(05-23-2010, 05:52 PM)Joshua Wrote: I too sympathize, HK, with the more "gothic" approach, but I think many traditionalists would be irked by the sights of servers in albs and gothic/conical chasubles as they have become so associated with the NO. A pity ...  :(

That picture is simply..... ideal.

Except in my ideal church, I'd lose the Edwardian haircuts and have longer hair, or even beards for the Herr Mannelig types. Short hair is okay if it's a tonsure.

Will they also have guns with blessed bullets?
Will there be a secret enterance to get into the church?

I am seriously hoping your Ideal church comes into being,since I really want to be a kick@$$ Excorcist
(05-24-2010, 12:54 AM)St.Ambrose Wrote: Will they also have guns with blessed bullets?

Ummm..... I guess.

Most Catholic churches around here that have a whole lot of people and traffic have a couple of rent-a-cops. Instead of that, my ideal church would have a couple of knights (KofC, Malta, the Holy Sepulchre, whatever) in uniform packing heat outside, in addition to the ushers and actual porters* carrying concealed weapons inside. I am a little paranoid about the possibility of crazed shooters.

*I don't know why traditional churches don't use porters (or laymen acting as porters in cassock and surplice) to guard the doors, greet people, and perhaps symbolically close the doors after the Mass of the Catechumens is ended. We instead tend to use old ladies armed with doilies, and bulletins instead of bullets.

Quote:Will there be a secret enterance to get into the church?

I suppose every truly worthwhile building ought to have at least one secret passage.
The_Harlequin_King Wrote:Except in my ideal church, I'd lose the Edwardian haircuts and have longer hair, or even beards for the Herr Mannelig types. Short hair is okay if it's a tonsure.

Agreed. However, I can deal with the slicked Edwardian haircuts, but facial hair is indeed a must ... however if your beard is so patchy and scraggly so as to resemble a wino, then shaving will be mandated. This unfortunate soul will then be assigned to either thurifer, crucifer, MC or any other singular role so as to preserve the "symmetry" of the remaining, bearded ministers.

(05-23-2010, 09:57 PM)Credo Wrote: I served at the revised Mass as a boy. We had to wear these hooded things which looked like Klan robes.

:laughing: ... Yeah. I say if you go the Gothic route with servers in albs & cassocks than proper orphrey or brocade apparel is a must so as to prevent the Klan/Casper look!
(05-24-2010, 01:06 AM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote:
(05-24-2010, 12:54 AM)St.Ambrose Wrote: Will they also have guns with blessed bullets?

Ummm..... I guess.

Most Catholic churches around here that have a whole lot of people and traffic have a couple of rent-a-cops. Instead of that, my ideal church would have a couple of knights (KofC, Malta, the Holy Sepulchre, whatever) in uniform packing heat outside, in addition to the ushers and actual porters* carrying concealed weapons inside. I am a little paranoid about the possibility of crazed shooters.

*I don't know why traditional churches don't use porters (or laymen acting as porters in cassock and surplice) to guard the doors, greet people, and perhaps symbolically close the doors after the Mass of the Catechumens is ended. We instead tend to use old ladies armed with doilies, and bulletins instead of bullets.

Quote:Will there be a secret enterance to get into the church?

I suppose every truly worthwhile building ought to have at least one secret passage.

Hmmmm.The church is "Militant" is it not?

Haha,make the secret paassage be one that leads into a private room for the priest.Haha.Keep it all "A secret"
(05-24-2010, 01:24 AM)Joshua Wrote: if your beard is so patchy and scraggly so as to resemble a wino, then shaving will be mandated. This unfortunate soul will then be assigned to either thurifer, crucifer, MC or any other singular role so as to preserve the "symmetry" of the remaining, bearded ministers.

I like how you've actually thought that far ahead. I'd probably end up being crucifer since I physically can't grow a beard, but it's a consignment I accept with gratitude. Or thurifer, but only if I'm allowed to swing the thurible a full 360 degrees when in procession.

Returning briefly to this previous comment you made:

Joshua Wrote:I think many traditionalists would be irked by the sights of servers in albs and gothic/conical chasubles as they have become so associated with the NO. A pity ... 

I can see that regarding servers in albs, but can the same really be said for trads and priests in Gothic or full chasubles in general? Surely there are some SSPX, FSSP and ICRSS priests who like to use them, even if fiddleback is the norm.

Also, in my ideal church, servers would still wear cassock and surplice at low Masses and Lauds/Vespers, and the schola (oh, and don't forget the porters) would wear them all the time. The albs and amices would be used by servers at solemn Mass only. That seems like a fair balance.