Am I incorrect in my understanding?

Am I hearing correctly here?

A priest in sermon, from what I gathered said that: basically, God has converted or blessed some with the Catholic faith, because he loves some more than others [the others being non-believers].

This rather peculiar.  It almost seems quasi-Jansenistic, in that God foreknew a person wasn't going to believe in the Catholic faith; ergo, he hasn't blessed them with the gift of the Catholic faith and thus that's one their a godless heathen or godless savage. 

Am I understanding Church teaching correctly here; or am I mistaken in some matter or way? Any clarification or help would  be greatly appreciated! Danke!
God loves everyone equally. Catholics got more resources toward the salvation but in turn their standard to get the salvation is higher
(05-25-2010, 06:05 AM)glgas Wrote: God loves everyone equally. Catholics got more resources toward the salvation but in turn their standard to get the salvation is higher
That doesn't  answer my questions at all; neither does it substantiate it anything nor does your answer evince any data whatsoever to support either your assertion or even to answer my questions/concerns.
I think this priest is drawing from this section of the Summa, specficially questions 3 and 4. Check those out:

http://www.newadvent.org/summa/1020.htm

There may actually be a more specifically on-point section of the Summa on this (I seem to remember it), but I may be mistaken because I can't find it. Anyone else know?

I think it is appropriate to also point out here that it is the teaching of the Church that, at the very least, God does desire and (antecedently) will all men to be saved and does make the necessary means of salvation available to all. St. Alphonsus Liguori explains this well here:

http://copiosa.org/liguori_prayer/liguori_prayer4.htm

(sorry for all the colors and underlining, etc. but its the only version of this online that I could find).
Thank you for your reply.
(05-25-2010, 06:05 AM)glgas Wrote: God loves everyone equally. Catholics got more resources toward the salvation but in turn their standard to get the salvation is higher

I don't think this is correct. God does not love all equally, as He does not will an equal good for all. To say otherwise would mean that the He loves me more than He loves the Blessed Mother, which would be absurd.
St. Sebastian provided St. Thomas Aquinas's reasoned answers upon God's Love. St. Thomas Aquinas [have a look for yourself, if you would please] that God loves some more than others, particularly of all creatures: he loves the Blessed Virgin Mary the most.  However, this has paramount caveat appertaining to God's love:  God loves all men; however, though he "LOVES ALL MEN," He loves some with greater intensity than others; and thus in this particular sense He can be said to "love" some more than others.
I have a question:

Although God loves all and died on the Holy Cross for us all; however, does God's Omniscience and Prescience mean that, knowing those who would reject him prior thus: Could he possibly either withold his grace from heathens or non-Catholics fore-knowing that they' would reject his grace anyway; hence that they are some folk that "never" hear the Gospel; because either mortal sin on their part; or God's afore-knowledge or Prescience and/or Omniscience that they would  reject his grace?
(05-25-2010, 08:14 PM)Ravenonthecross Wrote: I have a question:

Although God loves all and died on the Holy Cross for us all; however, does God's Omniscience and Prescience mean that, knowing those who would reject him prior thus: Could he possibly either withold his grace from heathens or non-Catholics fore-knowing that they' would reject his grace anyway; hence that they are some folk that "never" hear the Gospel; because either mortal sin on their part; or God's afore-knowledge or Prescience and/or Omniscience that they would  reject his grace?

It may be possible, but it doesn't seem like such a notion can be squared with what St. Alphonsus wrote in the link I provided above. He basically explains that God at least gives everyone the grace to pray for the necessary means of salvation so no one can lay the fault anywhere but on himself if he is not saved. St. Alphonsus provides this quote from St. Ambrose (among many others):

"He has provided for all men the means of cure, that whoever perishes may lay the blame of his death on himself, because he would not be cured when he had a remedy; and that, on the other hand, the mercy of Christ to all may be openly proclaimed, Who wills that all men should be saved".

(notice that he doesn't say "he would not be cured IF he had a remedy, but WHEN he had a remedy).
ok.  It will take a while to intellectually digest this so to speak.