Stern and Pieper
I've been reading Jewish convert Karl Stern's "Pillar of Fire".  An incredible book.  Anyhow, he quotes from Josef Pieper's "On Hope".  I have ordered the book.  Seems fitting for this day and age:
the status viatoris
"As long as he is alive, he is in the state of the traveler.  Human existence contains an element of "not yet", and this element has a dual significance; on one hand the absence of completion, and on the other hand a direction towards completion."
The dark antipodes of Hope are Despair and Presumption.  Both destroy the status viatoris, the "not yet" of human existence.  Saint Thomas wrote: "Since our Redeemer has created and perfected Faith, it was of equal salvation to us the He introduced us into Hope.  This He did by teaching us prayer by which our Hope is directed towards God."

Anyhow, great stuff.  Any of you familiar with Pieper?  I will probably also send a copy to my Jew friend to mess with him some more.  He will eventually convert, I am hopeful of that.  When you try to convert someone, they fight you tooth and nail.  But when they finally do it, it is like a great burden removed from them.  No "like" about it, it IS a huge relief.  The Good News.
(05-29-2010, 12:31 AM)James02 Wrote: I've been reading Jewish convert Karl Stern's "Pillar of Fire".  An incredible book.  Anyhow, he quotes from Josef Pieper's "On Hope".  I have ordered the book.  Seems fitting for this day and age:
the status viatoris
"As long as he is alive, he is in the state of the traveler.  Human existence contains an element of "not yet", and this element has a dual significance; on one hand the absence of completion, and on the other hand a direction towards completion."
The dark antipodes of Hope are Despair and Presumption.  Both destroy the status viatoris, the "not yet" of human existence.  Saint Thomas wrote: "Since our Redeemer has created and perfected Faith, it was of equal salvation to us the He introduced us into Hope.  This He did by teaching us prayer by which our Hope is directed towards God."

Anyhow, great stuff.  Any of you familiar with Pieper?  I will probably also send a copy to my Jew friend to mess with him some more.  He will eventually convert, I am hopeful of that.  When you try to convert someone, they fight you tooth and nail.  But when they finally do it, it is like a great burden removed from them.  No "like" about it, it IS a huge relief.  The Good News.

Pieper is a a big name in Catholic philosophy circles.  He's written a guide to St. Thomas that is helpful for the beginner, but can be a bear to get through.