Eunuchs for the Kingdom of Heaven. The Argument over Celibacy
The link is to an article by Sandro Magister. I think many, myself included, have (or at least had) a misconception about what lifting the discipline of priestly celibacy would practically mean in light of the tradition of the universal church. I often thought of a married clergy as, to put it crudely, a sexually active clergy and I think many of the church's detractors see the situation similarly. Sandro Magister's article succinctly demonstrates why a married clergy as conceived of by the church's detractors is so especially dissonant with our tradition. The point may seem trivial or obvious but I found the article enlightening nonetheless.

http://chiesa.espresso.repubblica.it/art...3466?eng=y
Polemos Wrote:I often thought of a married clergy as, to put it crudely, a sexually active clergy and I think many of the church's detractors see the situation similarly.

There are plenty of good reasons for celibate priesthood, but I don't think any less of a priest who licitly has a sex life (e.g. Eastern Rite and Anglican Use priests). Surely there are bigger things to worry about.
A married priest should not have sex the night before he offers Mass. This makes giving daily mass difficult, which celibate priests don't have to worry about.
(05-29-2010, 11:34 PM)WanderingPenitent Wrote: A married priest should not have sex the night before he offers Mass. This makes giving daily mass difficult, which celibate priests don't have to worry about.

I've heard this before as a discipline of the ancient Church, but I'm not aware of it legally applying to any married priest today. My pastor offers Mass every day, and he's married.
Pardon my ignorance, but why would sex the night before hinder a priest's ability to celebrate Mass the next day?
It does not hinder his ability, but it is frowned upon (for at least for the majority of history) for the same reasons a priest was not allowed to shed blood (whether in battle or in practicing medicine). It was the abstaining in order to keep one's own body pure to handle the Eucharist.
Very interesting, Penitent. Could you tell me, if you know, why the innocent shedding of blood and/or sex between married people was considered impure? It sounds like some kind of overhanging belief from Judaism.
Very simply, a priest's bride is the Church. His first duty is the salvation of souls,  a husband's first duty is the care of his wife and children.

Folks who think celibacy should not be a requirement for priests take too lightly the task at hand for the priest.

Stubborn Wrote:Folks who think celibacy should not be a requirement for priests take too lightly the task at hand for the priest.

As one who has defended the discipline of celibacy in particular circumstances, the above comment is an example of Latin bias writ large. Do Catholic priests in the east, "take too lightly the task at hand for the priest?"
(05-30-2010, 10:00 AM)Credo Wrote:
Stubborn Wrote:Folks who think celibacy should not be a requirement for priests take too lightly the task at hand for the priest.

As one who has defended the discipline of celibacy in particular circumstances, the above comment is an example of Latin bias writ large. Do Catholic priests in the east, "take too lightly the task at hand for the priest?"

Yes.