Why the heck are there Academic Requirements for Orders like Franciscans?
Stop judging.

It's an order, a brotherhood. Like a club, but moreso an stronger in bond. Are they wrong in requiring Bachelor's degrees? Probably. But do not assume it is because they want to be a bunch of elitist snobs. You don't know them. So if you don't want them to judge you, start but not judging them. You don't know why many of them require it, don't assume you do.
Basically, if you're stupid, you can't be a priest or a religious.

I endorse those requirements. We need intelligent clergy, capable of teaching doctrine and defending the Church.
(06-01-2010, 07:44 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: Basically, if you're stupid, you can't be a priest or a religious.

I endorse those requirements. We need intelligent clergy, capable of teaching doctrine and defending the Church.

I mostly agree. Or rather, if you're going to ever work with people who are not already deeply religious (i.e. a non-cloistered vocation), you need serious education to be respected by the modern world. The common assumption among liberal Americans here is that "preachers" are uneducated idiots who spread superstition and ignorance. There is a little truth to that. Even with Catholic priests, most who are not already trads seem completely unable to defend the faith with rational arguments.
(06-01-2010, 08:30 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote:
(06-01-2010, 07:44 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: Basically, if you're stupid, you can't be a priest or a religious.

I mostly agree. Or rather, if you're going to ever work with people who are not already deeply religious (i.e. a non-cloistered vocation), you need serious education to be respected by the modern world. The common assumption among liberal Americans here is that "preachers" are uneducated idiots who spread superstition and ignorance. There is a little truth to that. Even with Catholic priests, most who are not already trads seem completely unable to defend the faith with rational arguments.

Indeed.

An educated clergy is needed as never before.
(06-01-2010, 06:48 PM)St.Ambrose Wrote: Well,sure.Ok,A high school diploma isn't much,heck I could get one of those,and i'm stupid.haha.

well,it just amazes me that one would need degrees,as if it was some elitist club.High School ok I get,but College?To much in my book,to be a priest sure,a priest should know more,expecially in matters of theology,but a brother?

I am starting to think it is being seen more as a club or a job then a God-given gift of grace.

Sigh,as you can see from a few previous posts,there are quite a few who know what I mean.

You got turned down?Man that SUCKS. :(

Education is a very good thing and should not be seen as a chore. Brothers often teach in schools, teach catechism, write articles and coordinate parochial activities (such as taking care of the sacristy). A good education would help someone gain the skills needed to effectively carry out their work.
Though there are other ways of demonstrating it, receiving a bachelor's degree does require a measure of discipline and commitment, two things that are necessary to live the religious life.  I doubt that is the principal reason, though.  Instead of assuming they are trying to form an elite club, how about asking the order why they require it?
(06-01-2010, 09:20 PM)aquinas138 Wrote: how about asking the order why they require it?
I'm confident every order can answer this, and will answer it slightly differently.  Thus the differences in requirements.

Do ask these questions of the orders themselves, and look into more than just one order.  You may find one that is a better fit for you.