Traditional Vestments in the NO Mass
Dear Friends

I am sorry for asking such a silly question, but it is something that has been playing on my mind for a while now.
Are Novus Ordo Priests allowed to wear the same Traditional Vestments that a Priest of the FSSP,SSPX  etc wear ?
I only ask because I love the way Trad Priests actually look like Priests.
Is there anything stopping Novus Ordo Priest's from dressing like Priests ?
Can a NO Priest wear a Traditional Chasuble ? Can he even wear a Biretta if he would chose to ?
If they are allowed, then why have I never seen a Priest dressed like that ?
Why did Priest's start dressing less Catholic ? Apart from the obvious answer, . Why and when did the Priest  stop dressing like a Priest ?

Thank you
In the Heart of Our Lady
Chris
Not a silly question. I've seen NO Priests wearing traditional vestments including chasubles, biretta's, and even amice's. However, I've never seen one wear the maniple. Don't know if that's a rule or not.
There are priests, validly ordained and certified by their bishops, so they has the proper power and also the proper faculty.

The St Jon Cantius Fathers say the New Mass in traditional vestments, except the maniple They cam in and leave wearing biretta, they have fiddleback casula, and the altar servers hold it up when the priest elevates the Sacrament.

As for the History at least in Hungary the biretta was optional since the fifties, the maniple was made optional after the council, and on the same type the fiddleback changed  to the present form. This ample form was present in most Churches in the the fifties too, but used only occasionally in major feasts. 

(06-07-2010, 12:59 PM)Chris87 Wrote: Dear Friends

I am sorry for asking such a silly question, but it is something that has been playing on my mind for a while now.
Are Novus Ordo Priests allowed to wear the same Traditional Vestments that a Priest of the FSSP,SSPX  etc wear ?
I only ask because I love the way Trad Priests actually look like Priests.
Is there anything stopping Novus Ordo Priest's from dressing like Priests ?
Can a NO Priest wear a Traditional Chasuble ? Can he even wear a Biretta if he would chose to ?
If they are allowed, then why have I never seen a Priest dressed like that ?
Why did Priest's start dressing less Catholic ? Apart from the obvious answer, . Why and when did the Priest  stop dressing like a Priest ?

Thank you
In the Heart of Our Lady
Chris
That TLM-saying priests wear fiddleback chasubles is only a matter of liturgical-fashion politics. A NO mass could be offered in a fiddleback just like a TLM could be offered in Gothic vestments. Neither is, strictly speaking, more "traditional" than the other.
(06-07-2010, 04:53 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: That TLM-saying priests wear fiddleback chasubles is only a matter of liturgical-fashion politics. A NO mass could be offered in a fiddleback just like a TLM could be offered in Gothic vestments. Neither is, strictly speaking, more "traditional" than the other.

The difference being that the liturgical customs along with the Church grows organically. The Baroque era grew organically after the Gothic era. There has not been a serious organic growth from the baroque style so far. Everything after the middle of the 20th century was a deformation and regression of pure novelty.

There is also the case that Baroque is more beautiful aesthetically than Gothic.  ;D
Although it is more common to see Trad priests wearing Roman style vestements, it is also getting to be more common to see them wearing Gothic style. OF priests can, indeed wear Roman or Gothic vestements. There is nothing in the G.I.R.M. restricting the use of "old style" vestements. Nothing prevents them from using chalice veil, maniple, or 'burse. Just watch EWTN. Most newer priests don't know how to use theses items so won't even try. It takes a lot of encouragement from their folk.
(06-07-2010, 05:23 PM)SaintRafael Wrote: Everything after the middle of the 20th century was a deformation and regression of pure novelty.

Is the renewal of the Traditional Mass in the 21st Century deformation, regression and pure novelty?

Is it not possible to avoid absolutistic statements as revelations w/o even any example?
Vestments are also expensive, and most rectory closets were emptied of fiddlebacks and maniples in the liturgical iconoclasm after the council.
(06-07-2010, 06:35 PM)glgas Wrote: Is the renewal of the Traditional Mass in the 21st Century deformation, regression and pure novelty?

The Tridentine Latin Mass was never abrogated. It was always the Roman Rite of the Catholic Church. It never left. It was just illegally suppressed by the Church. The renewal of the Latin Mass is the direct result of abandoning the deformation and pure novelty of the Mass of Paul VI.
(06-07-2010, 06:39 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: Vestments are also expensive, and most rectory closets were emptied of fiddlebacks and maniples in the liturgical iconoclasm after the council.

It is up to the priests to find ways to buy these items. They should take up collections, donations, and do fund raising to get them.

I remember hearing stories about how in centuries past, in small remote villages or cities, the poor peasants and poor farmers would gather whatever money they could pool together in order to make sure that their poor humble village parish could have gold chalices and the best decorations. Whatever poverty existed, Catholic people have always known that God deserves the best for worship. They and their families could go on without much luxury, but not so their churches because of our religion, which is a religion and worship of the incarnation.