Fr. John Corapi
I've always had a liking for Fr. Corapi, but I'm finding some things online saying that he's nothing more than a modernist that cares nothing for the truth.  Is he really that bad? (ie. )
Videos from Most Holy Family Monastery are not the most reliable, IMO.
I've listened to several of his talks, and the only thing that really gave me pause was how freely he applies Extreme Unction.  He seems to define "danger of death" very broadly, to include drug addicts for instance.  I think his reasoning is that they are undergoing "spiritual death" or something like that.  Since he went through that himself, he has kind of an "I know what's best for this situation" attitude about it.  I suppose that's kind of modernist, to say, "I'm orthodox about everything else, but on this one thing I know better than what the rules say."  If everyone does that, eventually you get clowns at the altar. 

He also says things like "Vatican II was a great gift of the Holy Spirit" and that Pope John Paul II and Mother Teresa should be canonized without delay, but they were personal friends and inspirations to him, so that's understandable.  (And a good example of why those proceedings should wait a generation or two.)  But I wouldn't call him a modernist, since the fact that he talks about sin and spiritual warfare at all makes him more orthodox and traditional than most priests.  If he's a modernist, what's Cardinal Mahoney?
(06-07-2010, 05:20 PM)Mhoram Wrote: I've listened to several of his talks, and the only thing that really gave me pause was how freely he applies Extreme Unction.  He seems to define "danger of death" very broadly, to include drug addicts for instance.  I think his reasoning is that they are undergoing "spiritual death" or something like that.  Since he went through that himself, he has kind of an "I know what's best for this situation" attitude about it.  I suppose that's kind of modernist, to say, "I'm orthodox about everything else, but on this one thing I know better than what the rules say."  If everyone does that, eventually you get clowns at the altar. 

He also says things like "Vatican II was a great gift of the Holy Spirit" and that Pope John Paul II and Mother Teresa should be canonized without delay, but they were personal friends and inspirations to him, so that's understandable.  (And a good example of why those proceedings should wait a generation or two.)  But I wouldn't call him a modernist, since the fact that he talks about sin and spiritual warfare at all makes him more orthodox and traditional than most priests.  If he's a modernist, what's Cardinal Mahoney?
Technically that sounds like relativism to me, though I see what you mean.  He seems to be a really good priest, though he might not be perfectly orthodox or traditional.  These days we should be glad to have good priests, but always keep our guard up slightly.

To say a priest "cares nothing for the truth" is a pretty damning accusation which should not be made lightly.
Fr. Corapi suffers from Americanism.  Most NO priests do. 
(06-07-2010, 05:20 PM)Mhoram Wrote: I've listened to several of his talks, and the only thing that really gave me pause was how freely he applies Extreme Unction.  He seems to define "danger of death" very broadly, to include drug addicts for instance.  I think his reasoning is that they are undergoing "spiritual death" or something like that.  Since he went through that himself, he has kind of an "I know what's best for this situation" attitude about it.  I suppose that's kind of modernist, to say, "I'm orthodox about everything else, but on this one thing I know better than what the rules say."  If everyone does that, eventually you get clowns at the altar."

He's not performing the Sacrament illicitly.  The new rules say it can be applied in cases of serious, chronic illness, even if danger of death is not present.  This is how its applied in the East.  If he was anointing for the common cold, or anointing people indiscriminately during Mass then it would be a problem (although its not wrong to anoint a group of people during a Mass if they all really are sick).
I remember asking my pastor to come to the hospital to anoint my stepdad before he was to undergo a surgical operation. I wasn't expecting him to die afterward, but I don't have any scruples about having asked the priest to do so.
(06-07-2010, 10:34 PM)Augstine Baker Wrote: Fr. Corapi suffers from Americanism.  Most NO priests do. 

Most "NO priests" do not have hugely different views about American democracy than there pre-Vatican II counterparts did.  I really think this is one of the oddities of the traditional movement, considering it is largely descended from a French bishop and European-trained priests (because all of the SSPX and FSSP and their schools are descended from Archbishop Lefebvre).  He taught the errors of Americanism (which is not a bad thing), however, he didn't have real experience with the Church in America.  Cardinal Gibbons wrote a response to Leo XIII's condemnations, and while not disagreeing the the Pope's condemnation of errors, said that he didn't think the actual situation the Pope was describing existed widely in America.  Leo XIII did not publicly correct the Cardinal, and accepted the Cardinal's description of the state of the American Church.
(06-07-2010, 11:41 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: I remember asking my pastor to come to the hospital to anoint my stepdad before he was to undergo a surgical operation. I wasn't expecting him to die afterward, but I don't have any scruples about having asked the priest to do so.

If anesthesia is to be used, I think it would be a good time to anoint (even if it is a minor procedure).  There are always slight chances of complications with anesthesia. 
(06-08-2010, 12:13 AM)MeaMaximaCulpa Wrote:
(06-07-2010, 11:41 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: I remember asking my pastor to come to the hospital to anoint my stepdad before he was to undergo a surgical operation. I wasn't expecting him to die afterward, but I don't have any scruples about having asked the priest to do so.

If anesthesia is to be used, I think it would be a good time to anoint (even if it is a minor procedure).  There are always slight chances of complications with anesthesia.   
I agree....when I had a minor surgery 9 years ago I was anointed....I was more afraid of not 'waking up' when anything else.