Fr. John Corapi
There's a clear, calculable danger of death in surgery that sets it apart from that person's day-to-day life.  I don't think you can say the same thing about someone who's been a heroin addict for five years and may continue to be one for another five years without intervention.  Someone in the hospital with an overdose would be a different story, of course.  How about tobacco use: we believe that's deadly, right?  Or alcoholism? 

I'm not qualified to say he's using the Sacrament illicitly, but it seems to be stretching the definition a bit, at least as it was defined by priests before his time.
(06-08-2010, 12:11 AM)MeaMaximaCulpa Wrote:
(06-07-2010, 10:34 PM)Augstine Baker Wrote: Fr. Corapi suffers from Americanism.  Most NO priests do. 

Most "NO priests" do not have hugely different views about American democracy than there pre-Vatican II counterparts did.  I really think this is one of the oddities of the traditional movement, considering it is largely descended from a French bishop and European-trained priests (because all of the SSPX and FSSP and their schools are descended from Archbishop Lefebvre).  He taught the errors of Americanism (which is not a bad thing), however, he didn't have real experience with the Church in America.  Cardinal Gibbons wrote a response to Leo XIII's condemnations, and while not disagreeing the the Pope's condemnation of errors, said that he didn't think the actual situation the Pope was describing existed widely in America.  Leo XIII did not publicly correct the Cardinal, and accepted the Cardinal's description of the state of the American Church.

Cardinal Gibbons was the Cardinal Mahony of his day, and he was one big fat liar.  Many of the  American Bishops lied to Leo XIII and St. Pius X about what was going on over here and in a way, they can get away with it, for now, as long as the laity goes along with it as they mostly do.

Even "Traditionalist" laity is prone to Americanism and has a hard time understanding what true patriotism is.
BTW, how many different topics on Fr. John Corapi are there???  ???  Seems to be a lot lately!!
(06-08-2010, 10:47 AM)Augstine Baker Wrote: Even "Traditionalist" laity is prone to Americanism and has a hard time understanding what true patriotism is.
maybe you can enlighten us :popcorn:
can someone give a good explanation of Amercianism? I've heard the term used but I do not really understand what it means.
(06-08-2010, 11:52 AM)RalphKramden Wrote:
(06-08-2010, 10:47 AM)Augstine Baker Wrote: Even "Traditionalist" laity is prone to Americanism and has a hard time understanding what true patriotism is.
maybe you can enlighten us :popcorn:

[Image: library.jpg]
I don't get it
(06-08-2010, 12:18 PM)AxxeArp Wrote: I don't get it

Most Catholics don't know what Americanism is, certainly a lot of "Trads" don't.  He should go to the library and take you with him.
I was simply looking for the quick explanation, maybe a reference source or something, but you had to get all snarky. You shot your mouth off about Americanism so I thought maybe you actually knew what it meant or had a good explanation.

I don't think you actually know what you are talking about or even have a decent definition, because if you did, then you would have told use by now instead of posting pictures of the library and snarky comments.
(06-08-2010, 12:39 PM)AxxeArp Wrote: I was simply looking for the quick explanation, maybe a reference source or something, but you had to get all snarky. You shot your mouth off about Americanism so I thought maybe you actually knew what it meant or had a good explanation.

I don't think you actually know what you are talking about or even have a decent definition, because if you did, then you would have told use by now instead of posting pictures of the library and snarky comments.

Sorry, I was responding to the previously snotty Ralph Kramden. 

I know all kinds of "Traditionalist" Catholics who belive in Americanist ideas like seperation of Church and State, religious liberty and freedom of the press. 

It seems like such a ridiculous notion that someone would profess ignorance about it, especially having been on this forum for more than a couple of months, provided that he knows what Americanism is.

So, not to name any names, but they're right here on this forum.

Here's a wikipedia article that's a good place to start.  Interestingly, I'm surprised that Isaak Hecker isn't mentioned alongside Cardinal Newman:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americanism_(heresy)