Hyundai ad mocks Blessed Sacrament
The idolatry displayed by the Maradonians is shocking, but that does not make the commercial blasphemous.

Incidentally, English soccer fans are already ticked off at Hyundai and the ITV television network because they played their commercial during the game and missed England's only goal in the match against the USA.
Perhaps it’s a cultural thing.  I’m mad on football – I’m mad on the church.  I found the ad humorous, and did not see that offense was meant.  But I can see why offense was taken.    Football is an obsession, and the humor may have been missed on some cultures.  But I think that I if it was discovered that the ad was produced by a bunch of mad Trad RC football fanatics, somehow, the content would be mitigated by the intent.  By the way, USA beat England 1-1! (I'm not sure if I should thank Dempsey or Green!)

Cheers!
Caoimhín
sacraliage!
(06-14-2010, 05:22 AM)churchesoffortwayne Wrote: sacraliage!

LOL

Proposing the Blessed Sacrament as a figure of ridicule and mirth is what's being done here. 
I was concerned back when Pope John Paul II condemned the worship of Football on Sundays...little did I realize that he meant "soccer" and my American bias was on full alert.  He did not mean watching the Bears game.

Yeah, stuff like that Hyundai commercial just reinforces the apostasy of the world today.
I thought this commercial was in much better taste:

Although to be honest, even though the Hyundai ad was mostly poking fun at fanaticism surrounding football/soccer rather than actually making a malicious jab at the Catholic Church herself, I feel it was still in bad taste.
Although some of you found the commercial non-offensive and funny and so forth, may did not. Hyundai has graciously decided to stop the ad.

To: _
Sent: Monday, June 14, 2010 3:22 PM
Subject: Anti-catholic ad

Hello and thank you for your feedback regarding Hyundai advertising.

Hyundai Motor America would like to thank you and other consumers for sharing concerns about a new ad titled "Wedding" which aired during the opening games of the FIFA World Cup broadcast last week. We take comments of this nature very seriously. Because of feedback like yours, we have removed the ad from all Hyundai communications and stopped airing it.

We credit the passionate World Cup viewers and Hyundai owners for raising this issue to us. The unexpected response created by the ad, which combined both soccer and religious motifs to speak to the passion of international soccer fans, prompted us to take a more critical and informed look at the spot. Though unintentional, we now see it was insensitive. We appreciate your feedback and hope you will accept our sincere apologies.

With appreciation,

Hyundai Motor America

Myself, I do not find any humor in using the Blessed Sacrament as a foil. Becuse it is my Lord, Jesus Christ.
(06-13-2010, 03:13 PM)ggreg Wrote: Soccer is a religion.  They are correct.

If men were HALF as passionate about Christ as they are about soccer the world would be like Heaven

just as john lennon was spot on when he said in 1966 that the beatles were more popular than Jesus.  fool americans [protties, of course] burned beatles records, instead of realizing that in fact,  the US -- and more so the UK and Europe -- were losing their Christian faith, even before Vatican II was implemented.

the producers of secular products, which the most traditional Catholics use, are not to blame for the decline of the Faith.  if you listened to any sort of records in 1966, other than Gregorian chant (which i am not sure was even available on records then), you were participating in the modernist secular world and john lennon was not to blame.  if you are a sports fan, you are participating in the modernist secular world, and may be substituting it in part for religion -- if you're a cheesehead or one of the other fans of American football who use facepaint, bodypaint, or bizarre costumes to show your love for a team, you're not much different. 

if you drive a car,  and most of us have to, or take public transport or cabs, which also are modernist and secular, you're participating in the modernist secular world and hyundai is not to blame. 

i didn't see the commercial so i can't comment on whether it was at all offensive to Catholics or was poking fun at soccer fans' zealotry, as several others here think, but hyundai has removed the ad and apologized for offense taken by anyone.  whatever the commercial was like, nobody who wasn't already anti-Catholic, and probably atheistic, beforehand is likely to have been led into anti-Catholicism or atheism by it, or to have been led to dislike soccer and soccer fans if they didn't before.

let's move on and worry about saving souls, beginning with our own and those of our family members and expanding our efforts to others outside the Church.

the alternative is to get rid of our televisions, cars, radios, stereos, CDs, records, DVDs, video games, books published before 1950 (and any book or movie that the Church ever had on the Index) and live like the Amish, as separate from the world as possible.  that means no electricity or phones, much less computers or texting.  it also means no running water or hot water but water drawn by a well with a hand pump and heated on a stove or in a boiler, nothing using electricity is allowed.  no electric lights so bedtime is early so as not to waste lamp fuel or candles.  how many could live like that? 

it was 101ºF here today and i would find it very difficult to live without air conditioning, or at least fans or ice, but the Amish have only hand-held fans or larger fans powered by foot treadles perhaps and the only way they can get ice is to have an ice house, cut ice from the lakes in winter and store it in sawdust for summer.

we may have to go back to that after the chastisement, if we're living then, but if you're reading this, i'd guess you're not planning to go back to those good old days any sooner.

as billy joel sang, "we didn't start the fire," the 'we' referring to baby boomers.  our parents didn't start it, either.  it began with the industrial revolution if not sooner and we must do our best to live within the world that exists without participating in what we believe to be sinful. 

if thine television offendeth thee, click it off.

I'm rather disgusted to see so many responses that vacillate around the "just lighten up" line. Regardless of whatever pithy humor, irony or satire you find in this commercial, the fact remains that it most certainly is a sacrilegious use of symbols and ceremonies proper to Holy Mother Church for the adoration of our Lord.

I'm certainly not surprised that the majority of neo-Catholics are blissfully submissive to any and all profanation of our Lord and His Church, but I did not expect to find severed manhoods on FE as well. Pity.
i.p.i. Wrote:whatever the commercial was like, nobody who wasn't already anti-Catholic, and probably atheistic, beforehand is likely to have been led into anti-Catholicism or atheism by it, or to have been led to dislike soccer and soccer fans if they didn't before.

How do you know? The World Cup is a global television event viewed by tens of millions if not more. Even if no one was aroused into anti-Catholic sentiments why should we remain passive in allowing sacrilege to be viewed by so many? Regardless that is irrelevant. The fact of the matter is that the deliberate profanation of things pertaining to the sacred is an objectively sinful act regardless of any would-be viewers and is to never be tolerated.
i.p.i Wrote:if thine television offendeth thee, click it off.

And where does it end exactly? Are Catholics to be corralled into foregoing all media and entertainment outlets while blasphemers run amok and Catholics go into retreat? Catholics should not be forced to choose between either giving up their leisurely pastimes altogether or keeping them and enduring blasphemies and sacrilegious displays. As is evident through this most recent case, the outrage that ensued over this commercial was enough to get it pulled from the air. I suppose you would've preferred if those Catholics just shut up and turn off their TVs and allow the spectacle to continue unchallenged?