Hyundai ad mocks Blessed Sacrament
(06-15-2010, 02:34 AM)Joshua Wrote: I'm rather disgusted to see so many responses that vacillate around the "just lighten up" line. Regardless of whatever pithy humor, irony or satire you find in this commercial, the fact remains that it most certainly is a sacrilegious use of symbols and ceremonies proper to Holy Mother Church for the adoration of our Lord.

I'm certainly not surprised that the majority of neo-Catholics are blissfully submissive to any and all profanation of our Lord and His Church, but I did not expect to find severed manhoods on FE as well. Pity.
i.p.i. Wrote:whatever the commercial was like, nobody who wasn't already anti-Catholic, and probably atheistic, beforehand is likely to have been led into anti-Catholicism or atheism by it, or to have been led to dislike soccer and soccer fans if they didn't before.

How do you know?

i am old and therefore have acquired some wisdom that younger Catholics lack. 

protest the more egregious offenses against the Faith.  this one has been pulled from the air and an apology issued. 

don't buy a hyundai if you're still offended, write them a letter of protest if you like, but focus on saving souls and saving lives of the unborn and the elderly. 

target companies that donate to Planned Parenthood for your anger and boycotts.

i.p.i. Wrote:i am old and therefore have acquired some wisdom that younger Catholics lack. 

... such as knowing the psychological reactions of 100s of millions of TV viewers?
i.p.i. Wrote:this one has been pulled from the air and an apology issued.

Which would not have happened in the absence of protest.
i.p.i. Wrote:but focus on saving souls and saving lives of the unborn and the elderly.

Sacrilege is an objectively mortal sin and allowing it to get pumped into the homes of millions is indeed very harmful to souls.
(06-15-2010, 05:40 PM)Joshua Wrote:
i.p.i. Wrote:i am old and therefore have acquired some wisdom that younger Catholics lack. 

... such as knowing the psychological reactions of 100s of millions of TV viewers?
i.p.i. Wrote:this one has been pulled from the air and an apology issued.

Which would not have happened in the absence of protest.
i.p.i. Wrote:but focus on saving souls and saving lives of the unborn and the elderly.

Sacrilege is an objectively mortal sin and allowing it to get pumped into the homes of millions is indeed very harmful to souls.

"Sacrilege", may be more apropos than "blasphemy", ref: previous post:

Real sacrilege is the irreverent treatment of sacred things as distinguished from places and persons. This can happen first of all by the administration or reception of the sacraments (or in the case of the Holy Eucharist by celebration) in the state of mortal sin, as also by advertently doing any of those things invalidly. Indeed deliberate and notable irreverence towards the Holy Eucharist is reputed the worst of all sacrileges.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/13321a.htm
sacralige is an act blasphemy is spoken, like libel and slander.

and it was a tacky thing to do to compare soccer to the holy body of our Lord.