Hyundai removes blasphemous World Cup commercial

Fr. John Zuhlsdorf

You have seen the kerfuffle about the Hyundai / FIFA ad for the ongoing World Cup, which – in a blasphemous manner – portrayed the fervor of some soccer fans as being religious.

I received an notice from a reader about a response he received from HYUNDAI:

To: _
    Sent: Monday, June 14, 2010 3:22 PM
    Subject: Anti-catholic ad

Hello and thank you for your feedback regarding Hyundai advertising.

Hyundai Motor America would like to thank you and other consumers for sharing concerns about a new ad titled "Wedding" which aired during the opening games of the FIFA World Cup broadcast last week. We take comments of this nature very seriously. Because of feedback like yours, we have removed the ad from all Hyundai communications and stopped airing it.

We credit the passionate World Cup viewers and Hyundai owners for raising this issue to us. The unexpected response created by the ad, which combined both soccer and religious motifs to speak to the passion of international soccer fans, prompted us to take a more critical and informed look at the spot. Though unintentional, we now see it was insensitive. We appreciate your feedback and hope you will accept our sincere apologies.

With appreciation,

Hyundai Motor America

that was very noble and good of them to say sorry.

good for them!
Noble?  I don't think so.  If they had taken a "critical and informed look" BEFORE the ad was run, this could have all been avoided.  They seem to have not had a problem with mocking my faith.  I do not considerable them noble in any sense, sorry.
They said they were sorry.  I'll assume they were sincere and forgive them.  If I act insensitive to someone(s) and apologize I would like to know I can be forgiven also.
SLCFranciscan Wrote:They seem to have not had a problem with mocking my faith.

The ad may have been in poor taste, but Hyundai mocked no one but overzealous soccar fans.
(06-14-2010, 09:56 PM)Credo Wrote: The ad may have been in poor taste, but Hyundai mocked no one but overzealous soccar fans.

Except the Agnus Dei which was blasphemously used for comedy and in an irreverent way. A mocking of a Eucharistic procession. The blasphemy of imitating Holy Communion by giving out slices of pizza to kneeling faithful as a form of comedy that mocks Christ and his real presence.

Absolutely no respect for the sacred. God and the Mass is not someting to be mocked and used for comedy
Lads, like I said, it’s a cultural thing.  Having lived in both sides of the culture, I can see both (off) sides.  No harm – no foul.  Look, no honest man would ever take offense where none was genuinely intended and where the offender apologized. 

In fact, in many good catholic cultures, the humor in the ad was the ability to relate with the madness of The Cup and football in general.  Football is not a sport - it’s life and death – ask Andrés Escobar.  Like millions of other viewers I was shocked when I watched the 1994 own goal against the US – I was NOT surprised by the news that after he returned home he was murdered on the spot for his error.  Considering the import of the event, the murder was more expected than the error.  Americans have an hard time understanding that there is a lot more riding on football than funny ads and an handful of cheetos.

Could you imagine the Bush administration going into full diplomatic fast forward and causing an international scene for an infraction on some international sports infraction?  Yet that diplomatic crisis is exactly what happened in the Nov 21, 2009 “The Hand of Gaul” incident.  99.99999% if Americans never heard of it – but it otherwise rocked the rest of the world – from the depths of Africa to Korea to the inner most parts of India, and even small nameless green creatures on the dark side of Venus were affected.  In fact, I’m still pissed off.  … ta hell with Hyundai, I think Ireland should invade France.

Sorry… starting to froth at the mouth… Maybe I’ll watch the Hyundai ad again and laugh a bit and put it all into perspective.

Cheers!
Caoimhín P. Connell
(06-14-2010, 10:27 PM)SaintRafael Wrote:
(06-14-2010, 09:56 PM)Credo Wrote: The ad may have been in poor taste, but Hyundai mocked no one but overzealous soccar fans.

Except the Angus Dei which was blasphemously used for comedy and in an irreverent way. A mocking of a Eucharistic procession. The blasphemy of imitating Holy Communion by giving out slices of pizza to kneeling faithful as a form of comedy that mocks Christ and his real presence.

Absolutely no respect for the sacred. God and the Mass is not someting to be mocked and used for comedy

The Beef of God?  Sacraliage!
(06-15-2010, 12:42 AM)PeterII Wrote: The Beef of God?  Sacraliage!

The misspelling was fixed. Even after the spellcheck, I didn't quite catch it at first.  :-[  Not sure if it is a joke, but the word is not exactly "sacraliage".
SaintRafael Wrote:Absolutely no respect for the sacred.

Hence my "poor taste" comment.

Quote:God and the Mass is not someting to be mocked and used for comedy

I fail to see how anything but sports worship was actually being mocked. Soccar fans were the focus of the commercial.