Poll: What helps you to sleep?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

How do you get a good night's sleep?
I swear they are all beautiful,
Every one that sleeps is beautiful, every thing in the dim
        light is beautiful,
The wildest and bloodiest is over, and all is peace.

As someone who suffers a full range of sleep-related disorders including prolonged bouts of insomnia, I was wondering how Fisheaters managed a good night's sleep. Do you have a nightly routine? Any personal tricks to unwind? To be clear, I am not asking for advice -- this thread is only to note and discuss the sleep habits of members of the forum.

Marc's nightly cocktail:

75mg Diphenhydramine HCl
450mg Valerian root
3mg Melatonin

Each taken 20-30 minutes apart and washed down with rooibos or chamomile tea.
Also currently experimenting with pranayama (yogic breathing).

[Image: briarrosesleepinga.jpg]
At 2:15AM, I'm a bad one to ask.
A good workout

That's actually what I'm doing right now...

I post on fisheaters during rests between sets. (Yes, sometimes my rests get a little long.  :) )
If I don't get a good night's sleep soon, I'ma cry.  People (and creatures) keep waking me up, though.  You know it's bad when you see a guy sleeping on a bench in the park and you're jealous.
I have always been a light sleeper. As I've gotten older, it's gotten much, much worse. It is a very rare night that I don't wake up at least once. How easily I get back to sleep after those wakeful periods is my gauge for how well I've slept. Also, I take a long time falling asleep. If I add stress to the mix, I'm done for. My husband was an airline pilot, and his flight physician told him Benadryl was about the only  sleep-aid he could take (per FAA regulations.) My husband doesn't need anything to help him sleep very often, but I do. Benadryl works for me if I take it about 30 minutes to an hour before bedtime. I also have a glass of wine three or four hours before going to sleep (with my meal.) I did this during the school year (I'm a teacher,) and it helped me through a sleepless year. During the summer I don't worry about it much. I don't take the Benadryl because I don't have to get up by a certain time.However,  I usually have a glass of wine just because I enjoy it with my supper. In any case, the wine and the Benadryl don't keep me from waking up during the night, I just get back to sleep faster when I do.

FYI - For all you Catholic ladies - Melatonin can act as an abortifacient/contraceptive.  Although it must be in large doses to have such effects, you may want to be aware of this fact and steer clear of it.
A few beers usually does the trick...
(06-29-2010, 10:35 AM)verenaerin Wrote:
(06-29-2010, 10:31 AM)chiella Wrote: FYI - For all you Catholic ladies - Melatonin can act as an abortifacient/contraceptive.  Although it must be in large doses to have such effects, you may want to be aware of this fact and steer clear of it.

Really? I take regularly. When I am pregnant I have a hard time sleeping, no matter how tired I am. I would take Meletonin almost every night. Thanks for the type, I will have to look into it.

BTW, I chose Meletonin and other. The other is a fan for white noise and also making everything pitch black.

But the body makes melatonin.
Have 7 kids, homeschool them, get them a bigger house built, and work a full time job.  What little time you do have to sleep, you fall asleep real fast.  when I finally get to bed late at night, I fall asleep within minutes.  I am just sleep deprived though.

It is real bad for me, like I am narcoleptic.  I just sit down at meetings and without coffee, I nod off within minutes.

Like right now, I am sitting down .... zzzzzzzzzz.
(06-29-2010, 01:21 PM)Satori Wrote:
(06-29-2010, 10:35 AM)verenaerin Wrote:
(06-29-2010, 10:31 AM)chiella Wrote: FYI - For all you Catholic ladies - Melatonin can act as an abortifacient/contraceptive.  Although it must be in large doses to have such effects, you may want to be aware of this fact and steer clear of it.

Really? I take regularly. When I am pregnant I have a hard time sleeping, no matter how tired I am. I would take Meletonin almost every night. Thanks for the type, I will have to look into it.

BTW, I chose Meletonin and other. The other is a fan for white noise and also making everything pitch black.

But the body makes melatonin.

"The dose makes the poison."  - Paracelsus