Poll: What helps you to sleep?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

How do you get a good night's sleep?
A clean conscience -  :o

it's OK to have a light snack...as long as you don't over eat during the day.  Being over weight gets in the way of good sleep due to lung expansion difficulty physiologically.

If you do have a light snack turkey is a good choice with a little milk...be sure to swish and swallow with water to clean that mouth before you go to sleep and rot your mouth out.
(06-29-2010, 01:40 AM)Marc Wrote: As someone who suffers a full range of sleep-related disorders including prolonged bouts of insomnia, I was wondering how Fisheaters managed a good night's sleep. Do you have a nightly routine? Any personal tricks to unwind? To be clear, I am not asking for advice -- this thread is only to note and discuss the sleep habits of members of the forum.

Marc's nightly cocktail:

75mg Diphenhydramine HCl
450mg Valerian root
3mg Melatonin

Each taken 20-30 minutes apart and washed down with rooibos or chamomile tea.
Also currently experimenting with pranayama (yogic breathing).

[Image: briarrosesleepinga.jpg]

I do about the same as you.  You may want to try switching between diphenhydramine and doxylamine (unisom).  I became resistant to diphenhydramine after so many years and unisom works much better now.

Alot of times my insomnia is due to itching problems that I have.  Other times it's just plain old anxiety.  I spent a great deal of time studying shamatha-vipassana meditation, and using it's principals helps a great deal.

A particular type of shamatha (one-pointedness) meditation is particularly useful and very easy to apply.  Here are the basic steps:

-Relax your body as much as possible, it may help to focus your attention slowly from head to toe, particularly the face and back, relaxing everything.
- Now that you're relaxed, pay attention to your breathing
- Do your best not to change your breathing, simply notice it.
- It helps to focus on just one aspect of your breathing, for example, the feeling of air passing in and out of your nostrils.
- When thoughts distract you from paying attention to the passage of air, cheerfully let them go and return to your breath
-The cheerful part is very important, it doesn't help your anxiety to beat yourself up over being unable to follow the breath, it's hard to do for everyone.

If you do this while lying down, it does different things depending on the circumstances.  If you are calm, your mind becomes calmer and you are likely to fall asleep.  If you have something bothering you, it will keep coming up in your thoughts.  It can help you determine what's bothering you and keeping you from sleeping.  If this happens, you will eventually learn to get better at letting things go, and your anxiety will be reduced.  Sometimes, people think they are calm but realize they are full of anxieties that bother them when they do this exercise, so watch out!
this:

(06-29-2010, 03:08 PM)Scipio_a Wrote: A clean conscience -  :o

and miss fluffy's :

"-Relax your body as much as possible, it may help to focus your attention slowly from head to toe, particularly the face and back, relaxing everything."

but I do it backwards, from feet to head. you have to make sure that that particular part is relaxed before moving up to the next one.

:P

last..... the rosary.

Concentrate on praying, meditate on the mysteries, but be open to falling asleep.

no alcohol right before bed- that's great for falling asleep, but not for staying that way.

I lie down, and sleep.

A healthy body can perform its natural functions without problem.
I go through intermittent bouts of insomnia, but I've more or less found things that work for me... Most of the time, I'd say I get to sleep by exhausting myself during the day and following an extremely regular schedule.

I'm a high school teacher, and during the year I'd get up at about 4:15 in order to fit in breakfast, showering, saying Lauds and Prime, and a long commute to work. I was usually so exhausted it wasn't hard falling asleep at 7:30 or 8:00 pm, and besides, if I didn't get to bed that early, I'd seriously regret it all day the next day...

I've also found that if I use the computer or watch TV before going to bed, it's much more difficult for me, and there's some research that corroborates that.

During the summer, it's much harder to get on a regular schedule, and falling asleep early is difficult as it stays light so late. I've taken to drinking lemon verbena herbal tea before going to bed, and there are also a ton of white noise generators/binaural beat applications for the iPhone/iPod that I've found can help relax me before going to bed. Some of it seems a little pseudoscientific, but it seems to help a little bit, and most of the iPhone apps for this are only a dollar or two.

There's also a sleep phase alarm clock for the iPhone (or you can buy really expensive standalone ones) that will monitor your sleep phases and wake you up at a time when you're less likely to be groggy.
(06-29-2010, 10:26 PM)ForumLurker Wrote: I go through intermittent bouts of insomnia, but I've more or less found things that work for me... Most of the time, I'd say I get to sleep by exhausting myself during the day and following an extremely regular schedule.

I'm a high school teacher, and during the year I'd get up at about 4:15 in order to fit in breakfast, showering, saying Lauds and Prime, and a long commute to work. I was usually so exhausted it wasn't hard falling asleep at 7:30 or 8:00 pm, and besides, if I didn't get to bed that early, I'd seriously regret it all day the next day...

I've also found that if I use the computer or watch TV before going to bed, it's much more difficult for me, and there's some research that corroborates that.

During the summer, it's much harder to get on a regular schedule, and falling asleep early is difficult as it stays light so late. I've taken to drinking lemon verbena herbal tea before going to bed, and there are also a ton of white noise generators/binaural beat applications for the iPhone/iPod that I've found can help relax me before going to bed. Some of it seems a little pseudoscientific, but it seems to help a little bit, and most of the iPhone apps for this are only a dollar or two.

There's also a sleep phase alarm clock for the iPhone (or you can buy really expensive standalone ones) that will monitor your sleep phases and wake you up at a time when you're less likely to be groggy.

I teach elementary. I have a "noise maker" I bought at Brookstone. I use the white noise setting sometimes or the babbling brook. I also run the overhead fan all year long. I can't stand to wake up hot.  Like you, I'm exhausted most of the time and get up very early on school mornings. I live in a small town, however, so my commute is a matter of minutes. I am usually at school by 6:00 AM. Since summer began, I've really gotten off my schedule. I stay up way too late!
(06-29-2010, 10:12 PM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote: I lie down, and sleep.

You have to be the most ignorant, stubborn, and narcissistic person I have ever known.  You always think so highly of yourself and always think you're right.  Some people have trouble sleeping, okay?  That doesn't mean that they are not healthy or their body cannot function properly. 
(06-30-2010, 04:47 PM)freagan Wrote:
(06-29-2010, 10:12 PM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote: I lie down, and sleep.

You have to be the most ignorant, stubborn, and narcissistic person I have ever known.  You always think so highly of yourself and always think you're right.  Some people have trouble sleeping, okay?  That doesn't mean that they are not healthy or their body cannot function properly. 
You just have to get used to him, he doesnt mean it that way. Herr's a pretty cool guy
I put the baby on hibernate :D

If only...
(06-30-2010, 04:58 PM)Lycorth Wrote: I put the baby on hibernate :D

If only...

If you figure out a way to accomplish this, please let me know. My daughter is getting about 2-4 hours a sleep every night thanks to adorable grandson.