Poll: What helps you to sleep?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

How do you get a good night's sleep?
(06-30-2010, 04:47 PM)freagan Wrote:
(06-29-2010, 10:12 PM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote: I lie down, and sleep.

A healthy body can perform its natural functions without problem.

You have to be the most ignorant, stubborn, and narcissistic person I have ever known.
How many people have you known? I am not sure why you are attributing those attributes to me.

Quote:  You always think so highly of yourself and always think you're right.
I do not think particularly highly of myself, but I do try to speak and write what I believe to be right, and I believe something is right usually for a reason. I hope most people don't post what they do not believe to be right. That could be very confusing.

Quote:  Some people have trouble sleeping, okay?
I know. It is a health issue. Some people have trouble breathing when sleeping (sleep apnea) also. It is a dangerous interference with the body's natural functions and can be deadly. Health problems should be treated, if possible, with the causes of them fixed.

Quote:  That doesn't mean that they are not healthy or their body cannot function properly. 
You just said some people have trouble sleeping. That is saying their body cannot (or rather, does not at the moment) function properly.

All I said was how I get a good night's sleep (the purpose of the thread) and said I was healthy. Since when was admitting one's physical health stubborn ignorant or narcissist? If a person is getting used to a condition, it can be dangerous because they can delay proper medical treatment (if necessary) at the detriment of their own health.

It is funny though. I respond to people's posts, and they get in a tizzy if I respond to what they write, saying I should "Know what they mean". I write a simple statement, and some get in a tizzy because of things I didn't right.

People feel insulted when I post no insults. People often post insults to me, yet, I ignore them.

Imagine what that is like. Every social group. Every medium. Every day. My entire life.
(06-30-2010, 07:57 PM)miss_fluffy Wrote:
(06-29-2010, 10:12 PM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote: I lie down, and sleep.

A healthy body can perform its natural functions without problem.
I could be wrong about this, but when I see statements like this, it seems to imply that the speaker believes people who don't have healthy bodies are somehow at fault for their condition. 
I see. I am very careful with communication, yet, I am not sure I can see how this message was given. Could you, if you know how to explain it, generalise this phenomen so I may properly use it in later dealings with people? I am writing a book about communication with forms of autism and I am working on some of the trickier (ie, it concerns things I do not understand, but then again, no one else seems to either, so my approach is one of patterns and probability rather than good explanations) chapters.

I have a form of autism.

Does that statement seem to imply any fault?

Quote:That they suffer from ill-health or lack of sleep due to their own actions, or sins.
I meant to give no medical or spiritual advice, only a small statement about my own health and health in general. Perhaps one person who is chronically tired after "sleeping" all night may look into it and realise they have sleep apnea, or that reading in bed is psychologically interfering with sleeping. (That is true. using one's bed for things other than sleeping and...marital functions I suppose, can lead the mind to associate it with productivity rather than rest).

Quote:It's great that you have wonderful health and never have problems falling asleep, but many people are not blessed in this way. 
I used to have horrible health and a very hard time sleeping at all. It almost killed me.

Quote: As far as health goes, I'd venture to say that the vast majority of people have less than optimal health.  And those who do have optimal health find that it's fleeting.
Sure. Good health is just the slowest way to die.
(07-01-2010, 02:23 AM)INPEFESS Wrote: ...2:20 and I'm working out again.

...3:00 AM snack comes after the workout.

At 3:00 today, I was about to take a break and moving a pallet from the warehouse to my production line (well, area, it is hardly a line) to prepare for my return.

(07-01-2010, 10:20 AM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote:
(06-30-2010, 07:57 PM)miss_fluffy Wrote: It's great that you have wonderful health and never have problems falling asleep, but many people are not blessed in this way. 
I used to have horrible health and a very hard time sleeping at all. It almost killed me.
This statement is much more in line with the discussion at hand. What did you do to overcome the difficulties you used to have with sleeping?
Herr_Mannelig Wrote:I have a form of autism.
Do you really?
(07-01-2010, 02:11 AM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: Here it is... 2:15AM again and I'm still up!  What should I do?  Hot bath or shower?  Reading?  A full meal or midnight snack?

a midnight snack?

:idea:  That's it!
How have I never noticed that idea smile....?

Now I need a snack!
(07-01-2010, 02:11 AM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: Here it is... 2:15AM again and I'm still up!  What should I do?  Hot bath or shower?  Reading?  A full meal or midnight snack?

a midnight snack?

:idea:  That's it!

The past few nights I've tried the "read something dry in a dimly lit room" thing... and now I'm almost halfway through "Introduction to the Science of Mental Health" by Fr Ripperger.

Strangely enough, when I sit down to read for its own sake, I easily end up getting distracted.

For a while I used to keep a copy of Finnegans Wake next to my bed to read if I couldn't sleep, and I got surprisingly far in it, so maybe this isn't the best strategy for me.
(07-01-2010, 11:24 AM)miss_fluffy Wrote:
(06-30-2010, 07:57 PM)miss_fluffy Wrote: It's great that you have wonderful health and never have problems falling asleep, but many people are not blessed in this way. 
This statement is much more in line with the discussion at hand. What did you do to overcome the difficulties you used to have with sleeping?

It was part of a much larger problem and would not really make sense to explain. Basically, there was a severe neurological problem which adversely affected my entire body and mind which had a simple, yet, rarely addressed cause. I found the cause (by accident) and fixed it.
(07-01-2010, 12:41 PM)GodFirst Wrote:
Herr_Mannelig Wrote:I have a form of autism.
Do you really?

Yes.
(07-01-2010, 08:15 PM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote:
(07-01-2010, 11:24 AM)miss_fluffy Wrote:

It was part of a much larger problem and would not really make sense to explain. Basically, there was a severe neurological problem which adversely affected my entire body and mind which had a simple, yet, rarely addressed cause. I found the cause (by accident) and fixed it.
I'm really curious.. if you have time would you care to attempt an explanation?