Celibacy of Deacons

It is refreshing to read such articles. Please keep posting

I know at least two deacons (Chicago suburbs) with the same workload.

God bless you and your vocation
[/quote]

Again, I apologize for the lag in responding...I would be happy to post as circumstances demand and permit; but rather than boring you with my meanderings, perhaps if anyone had specific questions about the permanent diaconate I could respond as these come up.
Thank you again for your hospitality and charity.
God bless
DC
Has anyone read Edward Peters article in Studia Canonica with regard to CIC 277?
If not it is well worth a read. His website http://www.canonlaw.info/a_deacons.htm, unfortunately only gives the abstract.
Opinions? Comments?
(07-23-2010, 12:30 PM)AxxeArp Wrote: RandomTradGuy,

You will not be excommunicated if you become a married deacon.  The SSPX has ZERO authority to make a wild ass claim of excommunication in this regard.  Married Clergy is a discipline. The Church has the authority to change disciplines, and they changed this discipline BACK to allowing married deacons in the Latin Rite. 

Also note, deacons are not peculiar to a particular rite.  You can be ordained a deacon in the Latin Rite and serve in the Eatern Rites as a deacon, or visa versa.  It's not complicated like switching rites as priest.

Thanks for encouragement, brother. peace to you
DC., may I ask what prompted you to become a deacon?

For the rather mean sounding response that said being a doctor and being a deacon would be two half assed jobs, and then about having a mental breakdown, I don't have to seek studies and eventual ordination at the minimum age. I can start asking the bishop to enroll in whatever later in life after I get a good job and have my life in order. I just feel the Church can use me without having to be a priest, that's all. What I mean is, I have a lot of apologetic knowledge, and I know what its like from scouts to serve the community and others, (not that I'm good at that, but we all can work on that I guess), and that's what a deacon does. Its  not about if I want to wear a cassock, or being in the secular and religious sphere. its about what I said in the second sentence before this.

Pax
To RadomTradGuy;

discernment of a vocation prompted me to eventually seek the diaconate.  I had at one time in my youth felt a call, but received very little direction with this.  Over the period of my life, I felt called to the married state, and to raise a family.  Yet there was always a call from God to do more.
It was through the encouragement of several good priests over a period of time, that I eventually inquired in my diocese; following that there was a period of application, then four years of formation prior to ordination.  It was during my canonical (8 day) silent retreat in my last year of formation that I was truly convinced that I was exactly where God wanted me to be, and for that I am eternally greatful.
I guess the only advice I can give is to be patient, to listen intently and to seek wise and good spiritual direction.  There were several times where I thought I should pursue the diaconate, but my pastors at the time suggested I be patient, and wait particularly until my children were a bit older (or at least out of diapers!).  If it is a genuine call from God, it will not go away.  Ours is only to listen and to open ourselves to embracing it.

I didn't enter the diaconate because I am a 'wannabe' priest.  I have the utmost respect for our priests and bishops, but that is not what I was called to .  I was called to the Order of Deacon and it is in that capacity that I am privileged to serve God and His people.
I truly hope that helps

Blessings

DC
(07-07-2010, 07:00 PM)HotRod Wrote: For starters, being committed to get an MD seems like a silly reason to not consider priesthood.  I respectfully submit that you need to be sure you are following God's plan and not your own.
Amen! I myself am an example of not doing that, and you would regret it.
(07-07-2010, 08:42 PM)glgas Wrote: Married deacons are allowed only since teh XXI Ecumenical council, what the SSPX denies.
What Vatican II document established deacons do not need to be celibate? Thanks
Geremia, (italian for Jeremiah/Jeremy?) I would like to read the materials in your sig line but the link doesn't work. Pax tecum
(11-10-2010, 01:13 PM)Geremia Wrote:
(07-07-2010, 08:42 PM)glgas Wrote: Married deacons are allowed only since teh XXI Ecumenical council, what the SSPX denies.
What Vatican II document established deacons do not need to be celibate? Thanks

Lumen Gentium
http://www.vatican.va/archive/hist_counc...um_en.html

Chapter III, Number 29, Paragraph 2:
Quote:… the diaconate can in the future be restored as a proper and permanent rank of the hierarchy … With the consent of the Roman Pontiff, this diaconate can, in the future, be conferred upon men of more mature age, even upon those living in the married state. It may also be conferred upon suitable young men, for whom the law of celibacy must remain intact.

There is an interesting short history of the diaconate here:
http://www.rcan.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=feature.display&feature_id=403

The implementation of a restored permanent diaconate, as provided for by Lumen Gentium, occurred with the Apostolic Letter of Pope Paul VI, Diaconatus Ordinem, in 1967.

Modified to fix misaligned elements.
If Paul VI was a valid Pope, then he had the supreme and universal authority to change a discipline of the Church. If you deny this than you deny the authority of the Papacy and become schismatic. The SSPX has to decide either there is a Pope and you listen to him, or there is no Pope at this time.

However why a true Successor of St. Peter would have the audacity to change this divine gift is beyond me.