Pot? Mortal sin? Sin at all?
jus curious
My understanding is that since we are morally bound to follow all just laws (ie you don't have to follow someone who tells you to kill, etc) then if it is illegal where you live, it is a sin.
(07-10-2010, 03:15 PM)voxpopulisuxx Wrote: jus curious

Are you asking if a plant is a mortal sin?

No, that doesn't make sense.

Use of that plant could be a sin, but a specific action and intent must be given for anyone to even guess if it is a sin or not.
(07-10-2010, 05:59 PM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote:

Use of that plant could be a sin, but a specific action and intent must be given for anyone to even guess if it is a sin or not.

We're obviously talking about smoking pot to get high.  No one is going to start a threat to ask if making rope or something is a sin  ::)
(07-10-2010, 08:43 PM)cgraye Wrote:

We're obviously talking about smoking pot to get high.  No one is going to start a threat to ask if making rope or something is a sin  ::)

When it comes to sin, nothing is "obvious".

There are general principles here. Using a substance to alter the mind without a very good reason is a sin (intoxication). Harming oneself without good reason is a sin. Breaking civil laws can be a sin (but I do not think that is the primary question here). Given the subject, I'd say that using marijuana in the most common ways is not different (or better) than using tobacco.

Nope.
(07-10-2010, 09:08 PM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote:

There are general principles here. Using a substance to alter the mind without a very good reason is a sin (intoxication). Harming oneself without good reason is a sin. Breaking civil laws can be a sin (but I do not think that is the primary question here). Given the subject, I'd say that using marijuana in the most common ways is not different (or better) than using tobacco.
is it different then wine?
Consumption of marijuana is by no means an objective sin. However there are many circumstances in which the consumption of marijuana would constitute a subjective sin.
(07-10-2010, 09:41 PM)DrBombay Wrote: Nope.

I'm with stupid....LOL

as the Dr perscribes...nope
(07-10-2010, 09:53 PM)voxpopulisuxx Wrote:
(07-10-2010, 09:08 PM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote:

is it different then wine?

Than wine? Yes. Drinking wine is the consumption of a safe substance in small amounts (compared to water). It is a legitimate and safe source of nutrients and hydration.

Smoking is the taking in off substances into the fragile structures of the lungs (through the nose and mouth) for the purpose of absorbing various substances which are completely unnecessary in most situations (I suppose one could use medical in this manner, but it should be more controlled than inhaling smoke).

Personally, I think objectively, smoking tobacco products is a sinful and frivolous action and should never be lauded. The "benefits" of smoking are akin to weight loss by means of amputation. Cultural influence, addiction and ignorance mean that individual judgement by myself of other people is completely impossible so no one throw a fit for what I wrote here.

EDIT: Concerning marijuana specifically, I do not know much about it, but I haven't personally seen any real physical harm directly caused by it. I know it does have actual uses and I do not know if there are any long term physical conditions caused by it. I know choosing to use it habitually can lead to some negative things though, but that seems to be caused by the choices of the person, rather than an effect of the drug use.