Pot? Mortal sin? Sin at all?
Herr, it is worth noting that the harmful effects of tobacco consumption are predominantly caused by the 6000-odd chemical additives which tobacco companies put into their products (in the case of roll-your-own or pipe tobacco, the number of chemicals present is significantly less, but nonetheless there are still an unjustifiably large amount of chemicals present).
None of the chemicals which they add (which include several pesticides, and a composite which includes rocket fuel and saltpeter) are necessary for smokable tobacco.
Nicotine is naturally produced by the tobacco leaves, as they are cured. Starches present in the plant break down over time (the slower the cure, the higher the presence of nicotine).
I have personally grown organic tobacco, and cured it using an air cure procedure which requires no additives or chemicals wahtsoever.

This naturally grown naturally cured tobacco presents no health threat at all.

As for marijuana, the majority of harmful effects experienced by some users (of which the total number amounts to but a tiny fraction of the sum total of marijuana smokers worldwide) are again mainly caused by modern growing and curing methods.
In this case, however, it is not so much due to additive chemicals, as it is the disruption of the natural chemical order inherent witthin the plant. This disruption is caused by hydroponic and other indoor growing methods, yield-increasing chemical products applied during growth and so forth.
Naturally ordered marijuana contains a proportionate amount of cannabanoid, relative to the amount of delta9-tetrahydrocannibinol present in the plant.
Modern growers, by utilising synthetic methods to increase the thc content, unwittingly ignore the fact that this cannabanoid level needs to remain within its appropriate relative range, in order to regulate the effects of thc.
One research study which I saw on a documentary, conducted using intravenously injected doses of alternatively pure thc, and thc-cannabanoid composites in blind tests produced shocking results.
when administered a standard psychological test (as used for determining admittance or release from residential psychiatric care) which is ordinarily scored from 1 - 4 (1 being normal, 4 being a full-blown schizophrenic episode), the subject scored a 1 on thc-cannabanoid composite (as in, the naturally ordered form) and when on the pure thc, the subject scored a 14. Remember, 4 is an intense psychotic/schizophrenci episode. And they scored 14.
Food for thought. Or lungs... lol.
(07-10-2010, 11:34 PM)Arun Wrote: This naturally grown naturally cured tobacco presents no health threat at all.

Actually, it is still dangerous.

This was recognised very early: http://www.laits.utexas.edu/poltheory/ja...laste.html

Quote: In your abuse thereof sinning against God, harming your selves both in persons and goods, and raking also thereby the markes and notes of vanitie upon you: by the custome thereof making your selves to be wondered at by all forraine civil Nations, and by all strangers that come among you, to be scorned and contemned. A custome lothsome to the eye, hatefull to the Nose, harmefull to the braine, dangerous to the Lungs, and in the blacke stinking fume thereof, neerest resembling the horrible Stigian smoke of the pit that is bottomelesse.

Popes have banned it, although, I believe it was not globally condemned because the person capable of doing that was addicted to it at the time. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoking_ban#History

It is only used because it is addicting. All else is after the fact justification. If there is no need which it fulfills and no human desire it satisfies, except addiction to it (which is caused by it). The use of it in certain ways has other effects (hallucinations), although, I am not aware of people using it in this way any more.
What are we, Puritans?  Bah.  Next you'll be telling me gambling is a sin. Bah.  Bah, I say.  :bronxcheer:
(07-10-2010, 11:52 PM)DrBombay Wrote: What are we, Puritans?  Bah.  Next you'll be telling me gambling is a sin. Bah.  Bah, I say.   :bronxcheer:

Yeah, and a quick masturb isn't a problem either.

While we are at it, let us watch Twilight.
Pot smoking, like other drug use...if not done to distraction is a sin only in a consequentialist sort of way...

For instance, when you snort some coke, you are helping to put the lives of some Judges and Police in SA in grave danger...so you are helping disorder so to speak...Of course all of it should be legal...and so there we have a problem...liberty say you should be able to smoke it and snort it and shoot it up or put it in your eyeball.

.gov says otherwise....now they often say otherwise about thing and there is no problem at all doing the things they tell you not to since it is not their purview anyway...they just decide to usurp....usually these things are harmless...such as jay walking...or taxing for cigarettes...and you can over come the barriers pretty easily in your mind...and there is really no consequence....

Drugs on the other hand do cause a problem...it is a problem cause purely by .gov involvement...but it is there...it is the chance of an everyday normal person being murdered for standing up against the criminal element in SA or where ever...so if you look at it from a consequentialist point of view you might have a duty to avoid the stuff....on the other hand...those judges and police in SA could just say..."aw to hell with it" and not fight the drug trad....the worst is the innocent by stander that get whacked or maimed...but in SA they'd find another reason to do that too...so it's up to the user...have a clean conscience using...use away.....don't have a clean conscience using....don't
(07-10-2010, 11:45 PM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote: This was recognised very early: http://www.laits.utexas.edu/poltheory/ja...laste.html

That document appears neither objective, nor scientific.

It looks like propaganda to me.
(07-10-2010, 11:45 PM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote: It is only used because it is addicting.

Drugs are not used because the are addictive...they are used because they make you feel good...and the Church has never had anything against folks feeling good, especially as regards liquid....over use of drugs is a sin...so is over eating ...

Or posting too much...LOL
(07-11-2010, 02:13 AM)Arun Wrote:
(07-10-2010, 11:45 PM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote: This was recognised very early: http://www.laits.utexas.edu/poltheory/ja...laste.html

So? King James I of England wrote it. What did you expect?
(07-11-2010, 02:17 AM)Scipio_a Wrote:
(07-10-2010, 11:45 PM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote: It is only used because it is addicting.

Drugs are not used because the are addictive...they are used because they make you feel good...and the Church has never had anything against folks feeling good, especially as regards liquid....over use of drugs is a sin...so is over eating ...

Or posting too much...LOL

Cigarettes and the like do not make people feel good unless it is sating an addiction.

And it isn't so simple. It isn't about "feeling good". Masturbation is immoral for example, yet, there is no harm to the body or any one else. It isn't like "over eating". Some things are wrong.
(07-11-2010, 02:47 AM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote:
(07-11-2010, 02:13 AM)Arun Wrote:

So? King James I of England wrote it. What did you expect?

Well, based on the context in which you posted the link, I expected some sort of scientific objective analysis that organically grown, naturally cured tobacco contains harmful chemicals - thus substantiating your attempted refutation of my statement that organic natural tobacco is harmless.