Protestant Exorcisms
(07-11-2010, 09:39 PM)Miquelot Wrote: Does the Church recognize as authentic and efficacious exorcisms performed by Protestant ministers?  There seem to be an abundance of Pentecostal exorcisms, for example, and the belief and practice seems to figure more prominently in Evangelical theology than in even many Catholic circles. 

No, the Church does not recognize as authentic and efficacious exorcisms performed by Protestant ministers any more than exorcisms by voodoo priestess'.

Prots have nothing to say too or threaten the devil with, No Sacraments, no holy water, no Blessed Mother - nothing.

In short, Prots have no power to to get the job done.

(07-12-2010, 05:51 AM)Stubborn Wrote: [
Prots have nothing to say too or threaten the devil with, No Sacraments, no holy water, no Blessed Mother - nothing.

In short, Prots have no power to to get the job done.

In the good old traditional times the power over the evil came from the name of Jesus Christ, and from the unity with the Church.

The sure thing is that those who despise either His Name, or the unity with His Mystical Body, have no power over the evil.

The rest is in between as Credo and Herr Manneling said

Mark 9:39-40 "Do not prevent him. There is no one who performs a mighty deed in my name who can at the same time speak ill of me. For whoever is not against us is for us."

and

Matthew 7:22-23  "Many will say to me in that day: Lord, Lord, have not we prophesied in thy name, and cast out devils in thy name, and done many miracles in thy name? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, you that work iniquity"
(07-12-2010, 12:00 AM)Miquelot Wrote: "Ya just can't get the job done with second-best." -- But can second-best get the job done is the question? 

I think ya answered your own question and I thought that very cited sentence was clear...I guess not.
(07-12-2010, 06:15 AM)glgas Wrote: In the good old traditional times the power over the evil came from the name of Jesus Christ, and from the unity with the Church.

The sure thing is that those who despise either His Name, or the unity with His Mystical Body, have no power over the evil.

The rest is in between as Credo and Herr Manneling said

Mark 9:39-40 "Do not prevent him. There is no one who performs a mighty deed in my name who can at the same time speak ill of me. For whoever is not against us is for us."

and

Matthew 7:22-23  "Many will say to me in that day: Lord, Lord, have not we prophesied in thy name, and cast out devils in thy name, and done many miracles in thy name? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, you that work iniquity"

A prot exorcism is like a flea yelling at the elephant. Futile.
Unum Sint Wrote:To Credo:

Let us follow that passage with Matthew 7:22-23
(Douay-Rheims)

"Many will say to me in that day: Lord, Lord, have not we prophesied in thy name, and cast out devils in thy name, and done many miracles in thy name? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, you that work iniquity"

Now you're just prooftexting.
Just found this article. Perhaps the referenced book will help ya.

http://www.spiritdaily.com/exorcismbook2.htm
To stubborn:

Boy, you are stubborn.  The first respondent above shows that right in the New Testament Our Lord told the Apostles not to worry about people other than them -- schismatics or heretics -- using His Name in exorcisms. 

They *do* have the Name of Jesus, by the way.
As lay people, and this would include protestants-even ministers, we can certainly pray prayers for deliverance from the evil spirits. There is indeed power in the name of Jesus.

But a TRUE exorcism is done through the power of the Church and more specifically by a priest with the approval or request from the local ordinary.

True possession is rare.  Demoic obsession is more common.

You might want to read Fr. Euteneuer's new book on exorcism, which is a sacramental of the Church.
U.S. exorcist Fr. Thomas J. Euteneuer was interviewed on EWTN just the other day. He claimed that while only a Catholic priest can validly use the Rite of Exorcism - all Christians, including Protestants, can pray for deliverance in Jesus' name. Lay people can also use sacramentals, the St. Michael's prayer, etc.  But he added that such cases are likely demonic oppression, and not possession.
:pray: