Could any of these Catholic Queens be canonized?
Isabella of Castile

Catherine of Aragon

Mary Stuart Queen of the Scots

Do you think there is a good case for them?

It'd be interesting to see Katherine of Aragon canonized as a confessor. Not sure about the rest. Mary Stuart is technically a martyr, but also kind of a ditz. Isabel of Castile was probably a holy person, but then again, lots of people in Spain at that time were. Unless there are miracles attributed to her intercession, I don't see the point.

The thing about royal canonizations is that they're inevitably political statements, and historically, a lot of them seemed to be acts of buttkissing to the state or something out of the ancient Roman tactic of apotheosis.
Sure, why not? I'd definitely go for a canonized Katherine of Aragon, that longsuffering woman. Mary Queen of Scots -- I like her, but she's definitely a controversial figure, having been accused of plotting to murder her second husband and all.
HK, why do you call Mary Stuart a ditz?
I think they have good causes but the Church wont do it for fear of offendiing people. Isabella kicked the Jews and muslims out of Spain so ecumenical Rome will never Canonize her. Same with Mary Stuart because they wouldnt want to offend the Anglican heretics. Catherine though I dont see why Rome couldnt canonize her.
Isabella has a cause open, but I don't think it's moving along very quickly.

I do like Catherine, and it would be pretty awesome for her to be canonized.
Catherine and Isabella but I don't think Mary Queen of Scots will not make it she did many things that were rather shady.
(07-13-2010, 10:34 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: It'd be interesting to see Katherine of Aragon canonized as a confessor. Not sure about the rest. Mary Stuart is technically a martyr, but also kind of a ditz. Isabel of Castile was probably a holy person, but then again, lots of people in Spain at that time were. Unless there are miracles attributed to her intercession, I don't see the point.

The thing about royal canonizations is that they're inevitably political statements, and historically, a lot of them seemed to be acts of buttkissing to the state or something out of the ancient Roman tactic of apotheosis.

I dont know, I dont think the canonization of St Margaret of Scotland was a butt kissing gesture.   Do you think the future canonization of Karl von Hapsburg is butt kissing?

Queen Mary is really only controversial due to the fact that she is caught up in the Black Legend, which is largely fueled by English nationalism.
Mary Queen of Scots, no. She was a mixture of good and not so good.

Katherine of Aragon? She has potential; there are more than a few female Saints who suffered thanks to bad husbands.

Isabella, definitely. She has a Cause, as someone noted.
http://queenisabel.com/Canonisation.html

(07-13-2010, 10:34 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: It'd be interesting to see Katherine of Aragon canonized as a confessor. Not sure about the rest. Mary Stuart is technically a martyr, but also kind of a ditz. Isabel of Castile was probably a holy person, but then again, lots of people in Spain at that time were. Unless there are miracles attributed to her intercession, I don't see the point.

I should have used lapidary for this post.

Most very well said, Sire.