Could any of these Catholic Queens be canonized?
(07-13-2010, 11:53 PM)Robert De Brus Wrote: I dont know, I dont think the canonization of St Margaret of Scotland was a butt kissing gesture.   Do you think the future canonization of Karl von Hapsburg is butt kissing?

No, but if this was the 1700's, then yes, I'd say the Papacy would be kissing up to the Austrians.

I say that historically, royal canonizations were often butt-kissing gestures because of royal saints who are not especially more remarkable than ordinary Catholics, other than that they happen to be royal and therefore have a lot more votes in the medieval popularity contest, plus they had a lot of money to give to the Church. I'd consider Saint Canute IV of Denmark part of that category, along with "Blessed" Charlemagne. Fortunately we're not as bad as the Eastern Orthodox Churches, who seem to think every Byzantine or Russian emperor that comes around is worthy of being canonized. And then there's that whole thing the Church of England has with Charles I, which is also funny.
I think that Isabella will only be canonized after Spain finally deals with their Muslim immigrants.
As it stands now, they have lost the faith and are pandering to Islam's demands for Churches and public expression of their faith.
Until they regain their Catholic roots Isabella will be sacrificed to the PC gods.
St. Stephen I, King of Hungary (967-1038) is a great royal saint. I don't know if his canonization was a political statement, but if it was it went hand-in-hand with the many miracles that occurred at his tomb. Read the story of his life, and the letters to his son Emeric (also a saint), and you will be mightily moved.
(07-14-2010, 01:31 AM)winoblue1 Wrote: I think that Isabella will only be canonized after Spain finally deals with their Muslim immigrants.
As it stands now, they have lost the faith and are pandering to Islam's demands for Churches and public expression of their faith.
Until they regain their Catholic roots Isabella will be sacrificed to the PC gods.

The Spanish are always an odd duck, you can see them bending right now due to the liberal government but when that changes I expect the attitude towards the mohamedans to change as well.
Queen Elizabeth I of Castile was surely a saint.

I don't mind the political statement, I actually welcome it.
(07-13-2010, 10:28 PM)justlurking Wrote: Isabella of Castile

Catherine of Aragon

Mary Stuart Queen of the Scots

Do you think there is a good case for them?

I would add Marguerite de Provence, the wife of Saint Louis king of France: She was a very pious and holy woman. Probably his holy husband's life overshadowed her.
(07-13-2010, 10:36 PM)Satori Wrote: HK, why do you call Mary Stuart a ditz?

In the movie, (Glenda Jackson who played Elizabeth) says to Mary Queen of Scots (played by Vanessa Redgrave) just before her execution:
"If your head were a match for your heart, it is I who would be going to the scaffold". I'm not sure if the real Elizabeth ever said that but it is very apt. The one smart move Mary made was marrying the dauphin of France but he died soon after. The husbands she chose afterward were not wise and she made a disastrous move when she went to England seeking protection of Elizabeth I who quite rightly considered her nothing but a rival and a threat.
The rest of her life was spent in captivity until she was implicated in plots to assassinate Elizabeth which of course brought about her execution.

C.
When I saw the title of this thread I was afraid somebody was inquiring about modern[ist] bishops.

*Whew*.
(07-17-2010, 06:51 PM)The Catholic Thinker Wrote: When I saw the title of this thread I was afraid somebody was inquiring about modern[ist] bishops.

*Whew*.

:laughing: :fish: